Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I want to buy a GQ/GU Patrol. What is the best engine/trans combo and what should I look out for. Budget around $10K, I'd preferably want a diesel, ute or wagon don't really care.

Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
I like diesels too, so will advise that a TD42 is the best choice. For your budget I doubt you will get a GU of any model, and quite likely you may struggle to get a GQ ute either, as they do not seem to be that common, and prices are close to GU. This is what I observed when looking for a ute for a friend recently. Perhaps in a diesel, a GQ wagon is the only model in your budget.

Facebook marketplace and Gumtree are good places to look at prices.

Registered
Nissan Patrol, GU IV ZD30DI, AUTO
wait till covid tax is over, 4bys are going for crazy prices, that's my two cents

Registered
nissan
In my opinion the best choice is the newest 3L GU you can afford. Preferably go the common rail as they are easier to modify if you go down that road. They outperform the old TD's in economy and power, and are very reliable when looked after properly. A 3L GU will last a very long time.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
I like diesels too, so will advise that a TD42 is the best choice. For your budget I doubt you will get a GU of any model, and quite likely you may struggle to get a GQ ute either, as they do not seem to be that common, and prices are close to GU. This is what I observed when looking for a ute for a friend recently. Perhaps in a diesel, a GQ wagon is the only model in your budget.

Facebook marketplace and Gumtree are good places to look at prices.
that's the ideal option, I'm planning to buy in a year or so, maybe prices will be normal again after covid

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
In my opinion the best choice is the newest 3L GU you can afford. Preferably go the common rail as they are easier to modify if you go down that road. They outperform the old TD's in economy and power, and are very reliable when looked after properly. A 3L GU will last a very long time.
that's a bit out of my budget, but maybe something will come up.

Registered
nissan
This. Despite the reliability of the TD42, buying the newest model you can afford will pay off in the future. CRD's when looked after a very reliable motors.

After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says W
06 Td42ti cab chassis
Look up carsales..you will soon work out what is most desireable..
Just might need to save a few more coins.

Registered
1992 rb30 gq 3 inch lift 35 creepy crawlers auto locker
Imo tds are overrated and overpriced. Zd30s are a decent engine (when looked after). If you must have a diesel get a common rail one. They are not the most economical donk out there though. If you can put up with the fuel bill I would get a tb45-48 they are reliable, cheap to fix and plenty of power straight out of the box. But it all depends on what you intend to use it for. Daily, tourer or a bad ass weekend bush hack

Registered
nissan
@ayandjade
TD's are definitely overrated. The commonrail 3L's are pretty economical, especially considering the load they are moving. With a remap good figures can be adhieved. Hell, my Di gets 12.5L/100 combined, and its pulling a heavily loaded patrol on 35's.

After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says W
06 Td42ti cab chassis
he wont get a crd for 10k..
would be better off with a tb45, more reliable than a zd di.

Registered
nissan
crd 3l, td42 or tb48 is what id look for. but for your budget you automatically rule out two of them. and even then buying a half decent gq with a td will still fetch more than you have.
for that id be getting a gu with a tb45 in it. but be prepared to feed it. they love a drink

1 - 14 of 14 Posts