·
Registered
nissan
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,407 Posts
Yeah i looked at them, and they seem very cheap (warning bells started ringing)....

Then i read this in their warrenty section..

APPLICABLE ONLY TO CAR GAUGES AND FUEL PRESSURE REGULATORS
All car gauges and fuel pressure regulators are intended to be professionally installed. If returning car gauges or fuel pressure regulators under warranty for any reason they will need to be accompanied by letter head, receipt or business card from from auto electrician or suitably qualified tradesperson - NO EXCEPTIONS. Please ensure you agree with this condition prior to bidding

I found a nice looking drift boost gauge on sale at autobarn, and picked up an auber digital EGT gauge from the states for about the same price as that ebay combo + shipping. At least if the boost gauge fails i can take it back i guess (has worked beaut, pays to get a good one the first time... my el cheapo one from supercrap lasted 24 hours).

my 2c

·
Registered
nissan
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,407 Posts
Well my drift boost gauge has [email protected] itself - Grrr the morning that im heading out for a day in the sand hills and it either jams on some reading, is uncalibrated (reads -20 at idle) or does nothing apart from get hot. Of course now i have lost the receipt i might as well just chuck it in the bin.

The Autometer look good, especially in the pillar pod thing. I have a digital EGT gauge which is mounted on my dash so ill keep that, and have a look around now for another boost gauge to replace the busted one.

Auber make a multipurpose display

Auto gauges, EGT Boost : auberins.com, Temperature control solutions for home and industry

Or their ebay store

Auber Instruments items - Get great deals on Temperature controller, Automotive Gauges items on eBay Stores!

Ill probably get this one to match my EGT Gauge..

DIGITAL Boost Gauge, MAP Sensor, 3 bar/45 PSI, Green - eBay (item 110644179960 end time Apr-03-11 13:42:26 PDT)

·
Registered
nissan
107 Posts
Search for autometer gauges here on the forum , i bought mine from KV ST on here , good fast service

Cheers , Dylan

·
Registered
nissan
135 Posts
autometer C2 gauges ive got boost,pyro,tranny temp,water temp and oil pressure, they look very smart have led illumination and are good quality

·
Registered
nissan
1,354 Posts
Well my drift boost gauge has [email protected] itself - Grrr the morning that im heading out for a day in the sand hills and it either jams on some reading, is uncalibrated (reads -20 at idle) or does nothing apart from get hot. Of course now i have lost the receipt i might as well just chuck it in the bin.

The Autometer look good, especially in the pillar pod thing. I have a digital EGT gauge which is mounted on my dash so ill keep that, and have a look around now for another boost gauge to replace the busted one.

Auber make a multipurpose display

Auto gauges, EGT Boost : auberins.com, Temperature control solutions for home and industry

Or their ebay store

Auber Instruments items - Get great deals on Temperature controller, Automotive Gauges items on eBay Stores!

Ill probably get this one to match my EGT Gauge..

DIGITAL Boost Gauge, MAP Sensor, 3 bar/45 PSI, Green - eBay (item 110644179960 end time Apr-03-11 13:42:26 PDT)
My drift boost gauge has done the same thing ever since I bought it, I just turn the key on and off a few times and it usually comes good. Also I've found if you have it done up to tight in the holder it will do it worse so I leave it loose.

Yes it is a pain in the ass but I haven't bothered getting a new one cause I'm getting a scanguage

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,407 Posts
Thanks, Yeah i tried unplugging it a few times but it kept doing it. I just went out and took it out of its holder and plugged it in, it just sits there shaking. You would think for a medium range product it would last longer..
Wouldnt mind getting a digital one again that has the MAP sensor, much easier to install and dont have to worry about kinking the hose etc. Will check out suggestions, thanks again.

·
Registered
Nissan
341 Posts
I've just started looking around for a EGT and Boost gauges for my 2000 3.0lt and am not to sure what I should be looking for.
Found these ones on flea bay:
TURBO BOOST GAUGE + EGT EXHAUST GAS TEMPERATURE GAUGE (eBay item 110575010236 end time 15-Jan-11 08:34:33 AEDST) : Cars, Bikes, Boats

Would they do the job?

Can any one give me any specs on what I should be looking for?
A bit late, I know but only just spotted this thread.

I've been running one of these for a while (EGT) without problems. Calibrates itself every time I turn the ignition on and seems to give pretty consistent readings. Responds quite quickly when I put the boot in going uphill and promptly goes back down when I lift the foot. No complaints here.

(I only fitted it out of curiosity because 4.2s never overheat - either via their radiators or exhaust gases!!! But then - you guys already knew that, didn't you??):D:cool:;):twisted::coffee::cheers:

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,407 Posts
I spent a while searching for a replacement Boost gauge, then saw that Autobarn has Garratt boost gauges on special until the 13th of march.

Did some investigating and found out that these gauges are made by Honeywell, and, the manufacturers of our garratt turbos. They are on special from about $110 to $59 so i grabbed it and fitted it just then. It looks better than the drift one, has a larger scale to the positive pressure (still has negative but its a smaller scale so you cant notice it as much) and has a nice smooth action compared to the electronic drift one which would jerk all over the place.

their page is here

TurboByGarrett.com - Accessories

and you can get them at Autobarn for $59 or on ebay for the same price, plus $10 shipping from this guy on ebay GARRETT TURBO MECHANICAL BOOST GAUGE 30 INHG TO 30 PSI (eBay item 200503623121 end time 29-Mar-11 21:59:55 AEDST) : Cars, Bikes, Boats

For the same price i decided to get it from autobarn, that way i can take it back if needed (if i remember to not lose the receipt again!!)

For all the really lazy people, the autobarn catalogue is here

http://www.autobarn.com.au/catalogue#cat/show/4d673157c01ba

·
Registered
nissan safari
117 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
675 Posts
I spent a while searching for a replacement Boost gauge, then saw that Autobarn has Garratt boost gauges on special until the 13th of march.

Did some investigating and found out that these gauges are made by Honeywell, and, the manufacturers of our garratt turbos. They are on special from about $110 to $59 so i grabbed it and fitted it just then. It looks better than the drift one, has a larger scale to the positive pressure (still has negative but its a smaller scale so you cant notice it as much) and has a nice smooth action compared to the electronic drift one which would jerk all over the place.

their page is here

TurboByGarrett.com - Accessories

and you can get them at Autobarn for $59 or on ebay for the same price, plus $10 shipping from this guy on ebay GARRETT TURBO MECHANICAL BOOST GAUGE 30 INHG TO 30 PSI (eBay item 200503623121 end time 29-Mar-11 21:59:55 AEDST) : Cars, Bikes, Boats

For the same price i decided to get it from autobarn, that way i can take it back if needed (if i remember to not lose the receipt again!!)

For all the really lazy people, the autobarn catalogue is here

Autobarn: Catalogue
Thanks for that dronus, just a shame it's got the neg scale.

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,407 Posts
Thanks for that dronus, just a shame it's got the neg scale.
No worries, Ive been out cruising with it today, works a charm. The positive (boost) pressure is in white and the negative is in red so it makes it harder to see the negative. If i could find one in the shops with just positive i would have grabbed it. Certainly having the larger scale positive on this one compared to the last one makes it easier to get a reading. This one shows i had the boost wound out to 16-18psi, so ill wind that back a bit i think :)

This gauge also came with some new pipe which had much thicker walls than the pipe that came with the drift gauge so i replaced it. I hadnt changed anything else and ive noticed that the gauge is also less eratic, maybe the thinner walled pipe combined with the MAP was giving the old one false readings - ie if the pipe itself was expanding? Dunno, food for thought perhaps, i think i heard Chaz and GeeYouToo mention something about the pipe making a difference, will have to go back over the posts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts