Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
nissan
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got the new shorty SD33T but it's minus a gearbox. Was thinking of putting the box out of the red shorty into it. The thing is it's a 5 speed ona L28 so not sure it will fit. As far as clutch and fly wheels go I'll buy new stuff (money isn't really an issue for that) but didn't know if the rest will marry up.
I head off to work on Monday back to Saudi so I've got a month to get the parts ready and paid for so I can slap it together next break.

Registered
Have owned most, MQ, MK, GQ/TB, GQ/TD, GU/ZD and now finally GU TD42Ti
the L28 and SD33 gear boxes don't match up, sure if you change the bellhousing and the shaft from the gear box you might be able to. I've got a box for sale, but I'm in QLD, so not really that good for you... A gearbox for the sd33 can be had from the wreckers for around $600 or cheaper if you can find someone on here that has one :)

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but hope that it helps

KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
And your not any closer to me
Id swap ya your L28 5 speed box, bellhousing ,ect for my SD33T 5 speed box and gear
But your tooooooo far away

Registered
nissan
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's an MK. Will put some picks up this afternoon. All good, that means I can keep te other box in the red one ready for it's birthday (gonna turn it into the promo car for the business) I'll keep an eye out for a box. If all else fas it might mean a road trip to QLD.

Registered
so MK and sd33t, it is a safe bet it was 5 speed originally. this means a 5 speed will bolt straight up to the chassis and you should already have the bigger ~270mm clutch. a 5 speed from a P40 vehicle would also be suitable, although i cant remember if the bellhousings are the same or not. if you do get a P40 5 speed and need to swap the bellhousing, any sd33 bellhousing should suffice (4 or 5 speed etc).

if you dont have driveshafts, you will need to get a 5 speed swb sd33 or p40 tailshaft for the rear. they are a unique length. you have more options for the front though, as the front shaft from any sd33 or p40 5 speed vehicle (ie ute or lwb) will be the right length. but it is easier just to get a matching pair with gearbox from a sd33 swb.

Registered
nissan patrol
Spanish MQ

I have a Spanish MQ SWB that was previously fitted with a diesel. The previous owner fitted a 2.8l petrol motor but it kept on breaking off at the bellhousing. I have bought another 2.8l petrol motor but it does not fit on the gearbox. It seems that some of the holes are reamed and that the mountings on the motor was cut off and rewelded to fit to the gearbox.

What is the best way to repair? Can the Skyline gearbox bellhousing fit to the gearbox or is it the easiest to cut the bellhousing flange and reweld it on the MQ gearbox?

Registered
if the original gearbox suits diesel, maybe sell it and buy one to suit the petrol. then you wont have to worry about dodgy mods breaking again.

fyi, the L28 motor (2.8L) came in nissan/datsun 280zx. smaller versions (2.4 and 2.6) came in the older 240z and 260z. early skylines used a L20 (2.0L) with turbo, then they switched to the RB series engine for a long time. are you sure the new motor you got from a skyline is an L28, not an RB25 or something?!

Registered
nissan patrol
The MQ260 gearbox/transfer case is a unit. Can the t/case fit to the 280Z or Skyline gearbox? The motor is definately from a Skyline GTX.

Registered
if your gearbox and transfer are attached, then it would be hard work adapting it to a 'road-car' box. the mq gearbox is from the nissan truck division apparently, so probably nothing in common apart from the bolt pattern.

KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
The MQ260 gearbox/transfer case is a unit. Can the t/case fit to the 280Z or Skyline gearbox? The motor is definately from a Skyline GTX.
The manual gearboxs in the MQ/MK are if you like 1 unit
The auto boxes in the MQ/MK have a remote transfer
These autos are the same as the nissan Z car , from the gearbox to the transfer their connected via a small tailshaft
IF you track down a remote transfer case , any engine/gearbox combo can be made to work
BUT , not in a SWB you dont have sufficient room underneath
Mainly for LWB,(wagons or utes)

Registered
nissan
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok so found out I need tail shafts, gearbox, clutch and fly wheel. Anyone got that stuff that they wanna sell????? Clutch I'll buy new

Registered
nissan
i have a sd33t gearbox to but same as coils noisey 5th gear and just needs seals other than that its a good box.

Registered
nissan
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Awesome, id just give it a birthday anyway. P.m me on price if u want

Mr G60
I have a 5spd in mine that bolted up to an SD33 N/A (originally 4spd)....it came from a Cabstar or Atlas truck that was 4wd and same era as MQ/MKs. The engine was supposedly an ED33, whatever that is. The 5spd came with a PTO box attached. I put a MQ/MK 5spd rebuild kit in it along with new Nissan MQ/MK 5spd syncros. All worked fine.

I am also running an SD33T flywheel since it is large then the SD33 N/A. We also put in an Excedy Safari Tuff clutch suited for a 99 TD42, just drill flywheel to suit. Spline is the same on the TD42 5spd and SD33T 5spd and so is input shaft diameter, believe it or not! I figured this out by having the guy who sold it to me (RooDogs) run the clutch alingment tool through both clutches to see if they were the same since Excedy doesn't make a Safari Tuff for the SD33T.

Registered
nissan
i know this is a grave dig but for the interest of education, an ED33 is from an early 80's nissan civilian bus

Registered
the L28 and SD33 gear boxes don't match up, sure if you change the bellhousing and the shaft from the gear box you might be able to. I've got a box for sale, but I'm in QLD, so not really that good for you... A gearbox for the sd33 can be had from the wreckers for around $600 or cheaper if you can find someone on here that has one :)

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but hope that it helps
HEy mate I鈥檓 in need of a sd33 gear box I鈥檓 in Beaudesert qld if you can help me out

1 - 19 of 19 Posts