Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there is threads with fuel econ comparisons and what not, but this thread is for those that have changed something on their CRD (no other variant please) that has resulted in economy gains.

I have installed a HPD intercooler and new injectors on my 07 CRD ute, and gained a total of 1.5-2L/100km. This has brought me down from an average of 17L/100km to 15.5 as of last fill.

Reactions: Pedrick

·
Registered
nissan patrol
430 Posts
crd

Hi,

I took one catalytic converter off, replaced the main exhaust case with a free flow one...

but i think the best things are - keeping it in the original configuration...no steel bumpers, no roof racks, no load...street tires...these are the best things to get best mileage...

Joy

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,351 Posts
Realized my odo was reading 11% under on 33s... That improved my economy by 11%.

Other interesting thing is when my dad drives my patrol around the city he gets about 13 per 100 whereas I get 14.5 per hundred (corrected for odo error).

·
Registered
nissan
1,516 Posts
I plan on having a 3" exhaust installed one day when I get around to it and I will be interested to see what, if any, difference that makes to economy. I get very varied theories and opinions on this when I ask around.

·
Registered
nissan
643 Posts
I got mine new back in 2011 and some of the first mods were 3" exhaust and chip it chip. On standard tyres and suspension and with only a factory bullbar and snorkel I was getting 11l/100 easy with a fairly mild tune and even better when cruising down the highway on long trips. I saw as low as 9 when going at about 80 down the highway in steady traffic for about 4 hours.
Then I added the roof rack,2" lift, 33s, winch, dual battery's and a heap of other stuff and now get 13.5 - 14.5.
I find speed affects economy a lot. Sit on 90, 100, or 110 and there is quite a difference.

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had a chat to the pommie bloke at UFI today and we both thought that there might be problems with the valve and sensor on the rail. Considering I don't have starting issues or fault codes he said a lot of time they have chit economy and no faults, it ends up being the pressure relief valve. So I've order one and we'll see what happens.

Also putting a fresher gearbox and diff in next week, I'm sure it won't make a difference, but it will be a change none the less, so I'll measure the difference to be sure.

·
Registered
nissan
17 Posts
I have a 3" exhaust and a no-limits (CHEAP!) chip on mine. EGR block gave me pretty high boost so I put on a Dawes (only). Dawes will let it run to 15psi under power and about 20psi on cruise. I don't get Check Engine Light, I'm really happy with the power and I'm getting around 11L/100k consistently.

·
Registered
Nissan Urvan / Caravan
226 Posts
I'm now more proactive using the Scanguage, brain and right foot. When I first bought the van (same engine as Patrol, but different gear and final drive ratios), I averaged 23mpg (apologies, I'm old), and now average 26-28mpg.

·
Registered
nissan
2 Posts
A 3" ss exhaust dropped 1.5l/100 off of my DX, dropping it to about 12/100 unloaded., but as joy said, the best mod is to keep the truck as light as possible.

·
Registered
nissan
9 Posts
The issue with mine is highways. Around town I'm getting high 12s but on the open road around 16-20. That's with 33's 2inch. Snorkel and rack. Everything else standard.

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thats what I find to. I have got 14L/100km once (best I've ever got), but it was 60km/h the whole time. Once I get over 80 and particularly to 100km/h then it just sucks fuel down and my engine temps get quite high (96*C). Thats with 33s and 4.3 diff gears in my ute with canopy on or off.

·
Registered
nissan
9 Posts
I find 80-90 go be the sweet spot. Anything over 90 and she guzzles

·
Registered
nissan
643 Posts
So I did a bit of testing over 1000k's done in the past few days. Now according to fuel bowser to odometer readings I was up for around 14l/100. Not the best but still OK for a 3 tonne brick on wheels.
So I decided to check the accuracy of the odometer on the trip and it turns out that my odometer is 10% out... Under
So for every 10 k's on the odometer I actually travel 11'ks. I recorded this on 2 seperate GPS units and against the 5k measurement stretches that you see on the highway every now and then.
Both GPS are accurate and the odo is under.
That brings my fuel usage to under 13l/100 which is pretty good for what it is. 2" lift, bar, winch, full length roof rack, 33" tyres. Loaded up inside with 3 people and all our stuff, fridge full of beer.
So check your odometers

·
Registered
nissan patrol
699 Posts
Yep, as wired as it sounds just because your speedo is accurate, doesn't mean your odometer is accurate.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GU
1,210 Posts
I have been having average fuel economy, 14-15L per 100s around town and blowing smoke blue/greyish heavy at start up. Went to my mates mechanic. Glow plugs seals are buggered and letting oil drip down to the tip and the fuel spill tube was tiny slightly leaking so got that fixed. He's gonna fire it up this morning and see what happens. Fingers cross. Weird things can affect big things

Cheers

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,351 Posts
Yep see post 3.

So I did a bit of testing over 1000k's done in the past few days. Now according to fuel bowser to odometer readings I was up for around 14l/100. Not the best but still OK for a 3 tonne brick on wheels.
So I decided to check the accuracy of the odometer on the trip and it turns out that my odometer is 10% out... Under
So for every 10 k's on the odometer I actually travel 11'ks. I recorded this on 2 seperate GPS units and against the 5k measurement stretches that you see on the highway every now and then.
Both GPS are accurate and the odo is under.
That brings my fuel usage to under 13l/100 which is pretty good for what it is. 2" lift, bar, winch, full length roof rack, 33" tyres. Loaded up inside with 3 people and all our stuff, fridge full of beer.
So check your odometers

·
Registered
nissan
9 Posts
I was getting 14-15 per hundred on hwy , then started using 2stroke oil 200:1 and dropped it to 13 and now have a K & N air filter which has seen me get 12.5's

·
Glasshouse Bogan #1
nissan patrol gu
9,423 Posts
I wonder if people are allowing for the sub tank emptying into the main tank on each start up as you need to fill both to the top to get a proper reading or you're economy will seam better than it is.
The odometer is a good one mine is 10% slow so for every 100kms I do ive really done 110.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I only fill both tanks. Pretty rare to only fill the main

Reactions: patrol97
1 - 20 of 31 Posts