Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GU 1998 ST 2.8
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning all,
I have just been reading Paul.Helms post re blocking EGR and i am now concerned...

I have a 1998 2.8 GU ( Go go the 2.8's!!!) and this week blocked the EGR valve as recommended by various posts.......

My question is " Is there something else i should be doing with a Dawes Valve? I don;t know what one is or what to do!!!"

Regards,

Mark

·
Go Hard or Go Home
3,197 Posts
The Dawes valve is for the ZD30 mate. Not the 2.8.

Ok I see which thread your talking about,

As per the Aksniss reference doc, adjusting the grub screw on the ZD30 to stop overboosting is a cheap option compared to installing the Dawes valve. While I have a Dawes valve fitted to my rig, its not necessary if correct adjustment on the grub screw.

By having the Dawes valve fitted to the ZD its a quick and easy adjustment where the adjustment for the grubscrew on the turbo is time consuming.

Go ahead and block the EGR, best thing to do mate.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
put a bleed hole in the valve or even fit one after it, and you have got yourself a boost controller (MBC) which will work nicely on the 2.8

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,404 Posts
has anyone else RECENTLY ordered a Dawes Valve from 3barracing and received it?

I ordered mine yonks ago and havnt seen it. I did get in touch with Darren a couple of weeks ago and he mentioned that he was swamped with orders and mine was going out that monday. been just over 2 weeks since then, I guess Xmas shipping makes things slower?

Really keen to get it before i do my Xmas trip so i can get that EGR blocked...

Cheers,

·
Registered
nissan
395 Posts
Yes mate I ordered one back in October and have not got it yet. Have sent email to darren in nov and he said that was strange and would send another. Still don't have that either?????

·
Registered
nissan
395 Posts
has anyone else RECENTLY ordered a Dawes Valve from 3barracing and received it?

I ordered mine yonks ago and havnt seen it. I did get in touch with Darren a couple of weeks ago and he mentioned that he was swamped with orders and mine was going out that monday. been just over 2 weeks since then, I guess Xmas shipping makes things slower?

Really keen to get it before i do my Xmas trip so i can get that EGR blocked...

Cheers,
Got mine today!

·
Registered
nissan
95 Posts
Hi All have been reading the topics about the Dawes and Needle valves, i to have a ZD 30 and looking into doing the same, could someone tell me why we have to do this? and where is the best place to get these from?.
Cheers :)

·
Banned
nissan
261 Posts
Hi All have been reading the topics about the Dawes and Needle valves, i to have a ZD 30 and looking into doing the same, could someone tell me why we have to do this? and where is the best place to get these from?.
Cheers :)
I would suggest you read some more and it should become obvious. start with the zd30 reference document at the top of the forum:D

·
Registered
757 Posts
I dont tink you need dawn valves on the 4.2 either as i'm pretty sure the 4.2 runs a wategate (same as the 2.8) which will open to stop the engine overboosting.
3 litres dont run a wastegate so there is no fail safe machanical wastegate to open if the turbo overboost the engine.

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,678 Posts
I dont tink you need dawn valves on the 4.2 either as i'm pretty sure the 4.2 runs a wategate (same as the 2.8) which will open to stop the engine overboosting.
3 litres dont run a wastegate so there is no fail safe machanical wastegate to open if the turbo overboost the engine.
Almost correct.
the wasegate is not a failsafe. It is the boost release mechinism for the turbo that is on the 4.2 & 2.:roll:.
The 3.0 runs a variable vane turbo where the impellor vanes change angle to vary the amount of boost.
The overboost is caused by the engines controls not being able to keep up with what the turbo is doing.
A Dawes valve can be used as a safety device to limit the maximum boost or to control the boost outright.

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
And if the engine is in actual overboost (>27ish psi) then the ECU will simply drop vacuum to the turbo actuator dropping boost.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts