Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 TI tb48.

I have this aerial here on top of the driver's side A pillar.

I assumed it was for the sat nav unit, can anyone confirm?

·
Registered
nissan
2,450 Posts
Looks like radio aerial, do you have the normal radio aerial on the left pass side guard?

·
Registered
nissan
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I have that one too.

Also have no communication gear like UHF.

It is pretty crusty, I wonder if I remove the sat nav one day it should be a simple enough bog operation.

·
Registered
nissan
2,450 Posts
Sat nav should have a square transponder, no aerial as such.

Does it extend any further 'cause it looks like an older model Toyota Hilux pillar aerial to me.

It will be a welded plate and bog repair I would imagine.

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
See if you can find a coaxial cable dangling behind the dash, or behind the trim panel of the A pillar.

It is Not a GPS antenna not even a AM/CB or UHF. It looks to me like an AM radio aerial or they had some additional device such as phone antenna.

I would just clean it up, make sure it is not rusty under it, seal it well with silicone sealer, replace the screws with stainless ones and leave it a lone. That is the cheap easy fix.

·
Registered
nissan
138 Posts
Nothing more then an AM/FM car radio aerial. It should have a felt rubber type gasket under the base to seal it against the body, if its not flat mounted or leaking then use a liquid sealant that wont react with the paint, some roofing silicons and the like should be avoided.

If I recall your model series had standard dual diversity aerial which is two aerials , 1x in the top of the front mud guard and a second located in the rear window bonded on the glass.

·
Registered
nissan
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry for the delay, I haven't had a chance to pull off the inside pillar trim and take a look yet.

As soon as I do I will report back just what the hell this thing is.

·
Registered
nissan
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Figured out its purpose... and also found a switch for an antennae booster behind the glovebox.

·
Premium Member
nissan
5,279 Posts
So what's your radio reception like with that and the booster. My factory reception is crap. Whoever put those on the rig were obviously having the same issue which is common. ;)

·
Registered
nissan
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I never listened to the radio so I am not sure, it was originally from Wagga if that helps (maybe the reception wasn't so great out that way).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts