Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm up for a new laptop but I don't know a lot about computers. Our current laptop is a HP Pavillion DC6 however it has been a pain in the A-hole ever since we got it. It is slower than molasses and I am over it. I am starting an online degree soon and I want something that I will not throw out the window and drive over with the mower. It will used to complete my engineering degree, watching the odd movie and general internet browsing.

Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
nissan
21,635 Posts
My son swears by Toshiba, he's had two of them. There is a local bloke up here (in Noosaville) he's my 'go to' guy for any problems. Project PC's Banyalla Court. He has a range of stuff in stock and will look after you very well. I've relied on him for the past 16 years. New and used and will install whatever system you like. Windows 7 is hard to beat. It'll cost you nothing to look. Might pay to phone first, I think he's on holidays atm.

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,407 Posts
I have been using a new Asus lately. Its thin, light, touch screen, ssd and sata2, windows8.1. Very fast.
Had more features than the apples and is $1k cheaper!

I've worked in IT for 25 years and am quite discerning about what I use. I dual boot suse Linux on it.
I bought 2, the wife has one and she reakons it good too.

JB have them.

Padded from my LG-D855 using Padatalk.

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,407 Posts
I've had a new MacBook pro, MacBook air and I still have HP and Toshiba's that still work. Nothing against them, all good units.

Padded from my LG-D855 using Padatalk.

·
The Googlest, Apparently!
nissan patrol
15,795 Posts
Been using Dell for years.

Had 5 personal and about 30 odd company (they are assigned to a BU (business unit) so when you change BU you get a different laptop. Also, as a consultant I move from company to company, and with the exception of 2 all have ran Dell.

Currently have XPS-15 Touch and it is great.

Never had an issue with any of them.

·
nissan patrol
15,795 Posts
That roving eye still on the look out for skirt Esty? lol.

Reactions: rastus2571

·
Previously known as twodiffs
1991 GQ Safari.
3,684 Posts
My HP died, think the motherboard cooked itself and it's uneconomical to repair, i've been using wifey's acer for awhile now but it's not grunty enough to run GoPro Studio. Check the system requirements for Studio....if you have a machine that will run that then it'll handle most other programs and/or movies, editing software etc.

·
Registered
nissan
21,635 Posts
Who me? DB, I'd run a mile if I thought I'd get entangled with any female. Can't handle the commitment. Just being polite.

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
10,990 Posts
I use a Thinkpad. Before my current Thinkpad I had another Thinkpad. My dad just bought a Thinkpad.

They're professional laptops, so they're more expensive than other consumer laptops but they are better built and much nicer to use. A lot of laptops annoy the hell out of me as the keyboards and touchpads are rubbish, but the thinkpad's are by far the best I've used.
My old Thinkpad got a beating too, it started life in a school then when I got it, it was dropped a couple of times, sat on and stepped once (May have been intoxicated at the time). Survived it all, it has a little chip in the lid and a crack in the palmrest but other than that it's perfectly fine.

·
Registered
nissan
21,635 Posts
Maybe I'm overreacting Bekah. I do know of one bloke who dived back in when his wife left him. They had been arguing for some time about how they were going to spend their retirement. She wanted to travel and do new things. He just wanted to put his feet up and look after his garden. In the end they divorced, they weren't short of money. He kept the family house and some investments, As it happened a close woman friend lost her husband about the same time. She wasn't short of money either. So, she married the divorced bloke (both in their 60's) and it worked out just fine. They had the same interests and are both very happy to this day.

For someone young, going it alone can be a drag. The backup is very handy. Dog to vet etc. and all the other stuff we both know about. What do you reckon Bek? What will you do?

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,657 Posts
All my laptops for the last 10 years have been Lenovo. They are a solidly built business class device. Mine cops a hiding due to me spending half the year on building sites. They still last me at least a year in a environment that would kill a Toshiba in a month or so.
That reminds me. I have a brand new one sitting on my desk at work waiting for me to get back from holidays.

·
nissan patrol
15,795 Posts
That roving eye still on the look out for skirt Esty? lol.
Who me? DB, I'd run a mile if I thought I'd get entangled with any female. Can't handle the commitment. Just being polite.
lol, I was talking about your eye Esty, not your legs or brain...

One knows you have no wish to be entrapped again, but this has no stopped you fluttering your eyes for little miss chemist or the once pristine , now tattooed trollop, Renée Zellweger... :)

My old man said; 'A woman is as old as she looks, a man is not old till he stops looking.

Reactions: rastus2571
1 - 20 of 41 Posts