Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every now and then things make me acknowledge how old I am or at least how life has changed.

In the last four years it's been a fair change for me. Moved out of home, moved hours away from the place I grew up, moved in with the missus, working my way up the career tree, bought a house and now we're looking at buying a rural block to build on.

When we bought the last place it didn't mean much as it was purely investment that could be turned over quickly but paid for itself, now we're looking at longer term and buying land to build on. For some reason this has made me reflect more.

I remember being 2 years old and the olds finishing the polishing touches on their first build. That was a major step that put them in huge debt during the high interest rates of the 80s/90s. Then I remember being about 6-8 during their second build with things being a lot easier. Now I'm looking at building myself almost 20 years after the last and it being my idea makes me feel old.

I'm sorta liking this being older stuff.

·
Registered
Nissan
820 Posts
The day I pulled up to the warehouse at work to unload a fridge pan full of returns....and one of the blokes there (who BTW...is a top bloke)jumped up onto trailer n grabbed pallet jack saying "I,ll do this ...we need to look after you old blokes".
He may be about 15 years younger than me....................

Cheers Keith

·
Registered
nissan
1,671 Posts
Turning 30. I literally woke up on the morning of my 30th birthday and thought "I am old". My whole life's perspective changed that day.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
I realised I was old when I was working in a workshop and commented to the service manager about the nice looking woman who was walking in the door and he told me she was the fourth year apprentices mother

Regards Don

·
Registered
nissan patrol
7,467 Posts
First small one was listening to radio one day.
Can't remeber the song but I was like dam I love this song, at end of the song they siad " another great flash back song!!!
I listened to it high school, crap it made me feel old.

Then my boy going to school, well kinda made me feel old, was just like crap didn't feel like that long again I was just finishing school myself.

At 26 my wife has now said I'm too old to do crazy things with my hair, like dying it etc.
Was thinking of dying it jet black with a hot pink strip, again, was awesome last time haha.

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
At 26 my wife has now said I'm too old to do crazy things with my hair, like dying it etc.
Was thinking of dying it jet black with a hot pink strip, again, was awesome last time haha.
Your wife is a fool, 26 is not old! At least I hope not cause I'm only 4 weeks away. Dye your hair, I'm sure your kids will remember it. I remember some of mum's 80s hair styles and dad's beard. Got my own going at the moment too

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
11,016 Posts
Nothing has really made me feel old so far, but a few times I've realised how fast time is getting away from me.
I remember when the VE Commodore was released and buying mags, reading reviews about it, asking my old man all about it (he worked at holden). That was 8 years ago, and I still see the VE as an almost new car.
Speaking of which, my MK is 28, older than me by 7 years.

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nothing has really made me feel old so far, but a few times I've realised how fast time is getting away from me.
I remember when the VE Commodore was released and buying mags, reading reviews about it, asking my old man all about it (he worked at holden). That was 8 years ago, and I still see the VE as an almost new car.
Speaking of which, my MK is 28, older than me by 7 years.
Yeah I get that alot! VE is certainly one I've taken notice of.

·
Premium Member
Nissan GU1 4.2
419 Posts
Having a new person start at my work with a DOB from after I joined the Army. Then a few years later another new person started with a DOB from the same year I was promoted to SGT.

·
Registered
Nissan
6,063 Posts
Well this will be hard to articulate but I think I have been around long enough (and done enough) that I can offer some carefully thought out wisdom based on my own life experience.

Not saying by any measure I know it all or have wisdom on everything! ;)

Cheers

Justin

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
But you're able to provide people like me a heads up in life and that qualifies you're older than me

Reactions: Heavensent

·
Registered
nissan patrol
7,467 Posts
Had it hit me, that the current teen generation most prob have no idea what cool runnings or the Mighty Ducks are.
Let alone VHS and cassette players.
Hell I even remember seeing my boy play with one of those toy phones with base on wheels.
He totally tripped out when he realised there was a cord attached to the phone, hit me that he had never seen one before, only ever seen mobiles, let alone the idea of a tv that's as wide as it is deep.
Strewth so many things it just trips me out.

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,675 Posts
#1 son turning 18 was a spinout for me. I am almost used to him doing pub runs for me now. ;)

·
The Googlest, Apparently!
nissan patrol
15,797 Posts
Had an attempted break-in at my house once, I say attempted as I was home and I gave him a good smack in the mouth as he came in the window that sat him on his ass on the outside and he did runner.

Problem is that he broke the window trying to get in.

So I called the cops, as you have to do to be able to submit an insurance claim.

This pimply faced 16 year old kid with a gun strapped to his hip turns up and starts asking me questions like it was me who broke the window...

My mum always told me that you will know when you’re getting old because the cops start to look like kids.

She knew about chit my mum did ...

·
nissan patrol
15,797 Posts
Reading Heavensent's posts that read like he is an old timer and then remembering back to the last time I saw him (last year) and thinking "I wonder if his family knows he is out and about and driving what can only be a stolen car as he is too young to afford his own on the pocket money he would get" ... ;-)

·
Registered
nissan
238 Posts
Oldest brat turning 18. And working with people who are 20 years younger than me. But I still feel young, dammit!

·
Registered
nissan
415 Posts
Month after turning 40 I went to TIG weld a bracket for my car. Couldn't see the pool to save myself. Went and got my eyes tested to be told it was typical for my age. .

·
Registered
nissan patrol
7,467 Posts
Reading Heavensent's posts that read like he is an old timer and then remembering back to the last time I saw him (last year) and thinking "I wonder if his family knows he is out and about and driving what can only be a stolen car as he is too young to afford his own on the pocket money he would get" ... ;-)
Haha I will take that as a compliment.

·
Registered
1998 2.8GU wagon
2,850 Posts
Reading this thread for a start. When all your grandparents are gone & then you lose a parent & in-law, then you start to realise you're well past the half way mark.
Had to do a medical & fitness test for Rio Tinto this week & had a lovely young lady get me to do some exersises, so of course I had to do my best, didn't want her to think I was an old man :badidea:. Not being able to move without every muscle hurting for the last two days makes me realise I am getting older.:cheers:

·
nissan patrol
15,797 Posts
All are gone mate, what's worse (but good for them) is that most live till close, or into, their 100's ...

Jazus, my eldest sister is older than Esty by quite a few years ...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts