Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
5901 - 5920 of 5962 Posts

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
17,567 Posts
Ended out at Oakey once in a massive thunderstorm.

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
11,171 Posts
Well after a few months of ownership, I now have a 1980 MQ Patrol ute in my possession.

I would have got it sooner... but my only registered Patrol is still broken.

So I drove an N/A 1HZ Landcruiser 105 on a 400km return trip to get it. The 200km back home with the ute in tow was slow. Very slow. Poor old 1HZ was being held flat out a fair chunk of the way to maintain 80km/h, did it with no issues though. Good unit aside from that and the gearbox thats like stirring porridge, I like 105s a lot.

But while the ute runs, the radiator leaks badly and the brake pedal needs to be pumped about 15 times before it does anything, which still isn't much. So driving it would have been dicey, and there is a good chance it would have cooked and I'd have 6 non running Patrols.
It runs really nice though, which is good because the rest of it is really bad.

·
1986 SD33T SWB
11,171 Posts
I think it's great James is preserving history one patrol at a time.
I cannot tell if thats sarcasm or not given the fairly loose use of 'preserving' lol.

Still needs more ZD30.
If this engine ends up in the wagon.... then maybe.
I'd need to buy a running, written off GU to make it happen.

·
Premium Member
Triton n Lovin it.
27,273 Posts
Got home yesterday afternoon and tried to power up the pooter but it was a dead as door knob. :poop: 🤬 Tried different power cables, sockets in the bank and a different lead from another outlet but no good. Put in the car drove over to techs place this morning and he plugged it in and the bastard of a thing fired up. 🤬 He did some tests and found nothing but he put a beeper on the graphics card so that I would know if some problem existed with it or not. Got home and plugged it back into the power and bob's ya uncle. :eek: Maybe the sliding around in the ute jarred something back into place. :unsure:

Foo

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
49,556 Posts
Trip to Toowoomba Flower Festival yesterday, great day out.
Flower Plant Purple Botany Grass

Plant Flower Tree People in nature Grass

Sky Plant Tree Natural landscape Land lot

Plant Sky Tree Grass Urban design

Plant Sky Tree Flower Leisure

·
1986 SD33T SWB
11,171 Posts
You have more chance of buying a blown up GU

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Quite likely, but then I'd have to engine swap that, and use that to engine swap the ute.

Or engine swap the GU and dump an MQ cab and ute tub on it. Probably beyond my ability of zip ties and tek screws though. It may not pass engineering.

·
1986 SD33T SWB
11,171 Posts
I have also tested the utes PTO winch. Works great, except in 3rd and 4th gear the uni joints all sound like they're going to violently break apart.

Only downside is its somewhat unnerving to spool the winch cable back on with just one person. I'd prefer to not winch the cable through the bullbar.
Still, controlling the winch with gears and engine RPM is pretty cool.

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GU IV
18,748 Posts
Had a very hearty laugh tonight…

Rio Tinto has put on a troupe of stand up comedians at the wet mess, doing the rounds of Rio sites I assume. One particular bloke has obviously got wind of the disgrace that Sodexo (the company that runs most of Rio’s camps) calls food, and he offered a gag about a pack of miners on a trip to Bali, coming back with the worst Bali Belly ever and he said he never knew Sodexo catered in Balinese hotels hehehe

The bit that made it was the foul, busted-arse faces on all the Sodexo staff serving at the bar, which was the only reason it was so funny.

You had to be there.

It stopped being funny when I went to the mess for dinner but I digress…. Crackers and cheese it is.

·
Registered
Nissan MK,GQ & now GU.
2,730 Posts
Problem second child has found his calling. Pity it is a cruiser and glad he does not own it. He needed my tractor to lift it off to weld front of the head board and underneath. All with my welder of course which has not been in my shed for a long time now.

He said even with the coil rear it is still a pig to drive.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
49,556 Posts
Today it is memories. I was working a new factory build in Thailand in 2001, my job was high speed packaging lines installation. I had a team of local contractors working for me and only one spoke broken English, it is amazing how you can communicate with pencil and paper, these guys were just average Thai Fitters and around 10 would come to work in the back of an old hilux ute. I got on really well with them, at the end they spoke better English and I even spoke some Thai. Anyway, we were finally getting towards the end of the project and so running out of time (the old 80/20 rule), I walked into the workshop one morning and there was the best of the tradies working on something in a vice and as I walked up he hurriedly put it away, OK he's doing a foreigner I thought, so reminded him of time frame and delays.

A couple of weeks later we finished and I was due to fly back home, we went out one evening for a few beers and next thing they give me a gift, man did I feel bad, what the guy had been working on was a belt buckle, all hand made, the horse shoe is woven st/st welding rods and st/st mig wire, bridle is st/st mig wire, mane is made from thick twisted st/st mig wire and head filed from a solid st/st piece, absolutely beautiful. It did have a red eye originally but sadly that fell out somewhere years ago.

Ah Yes! Memories.
Helmet Finger Headgear Bicycle part Personal protective equipment

·
just a good guy.
2009 gu ute
9,893 Posts
Knowing on Friday I can hook the caravan up and go away for a 4 day weekend , got to love no lockdown and a public holiday Monday . Only down side is loss of 2 days income.

5901 - 5920 of 5962 Posts