2009 gu ute
10,003 Posts
  • Haha
Reactions: Foo

·
just a good guy.
2009 gu ute
10,003 Posts
Checking wines in rack and find some from 2013 will have to move them up to the top.

·
Registered
1998 2.8GU wagon
3,279 Posts
Beautiful drive that Nowendoc road & some good tracks between it & the Oxley highway. About 10-15 years ago I camped beside the Cooplacurippa River just off the Nowendoc road. I saw a couple of Platypode (yes, that's the correct term for a group of Platypus) in the pool. Next morning I put my kayak in for a fish & had one come up within a few metres of me, just floating watching me.

·
Registered
1998 2.8GU wagon
3,279 Posts
This was shown on the map as one of the main forest tracks, between Nowendoc Rd & Oxley Hwy. We got onto it & couldn't turn round as one vehicle was towing a camper. Plowed through scrub like this for about 5km.
Car Motor vehicle Speedometer Plant Automotive lighting

·
Registered
nissan gq
2,608 Posts
Beautiful drive that Nowendoc road & some good tracks between it & the Oxley highway. About 10-15 years ago I camped beside the Cooplacurippa River just off the Nowendoc road. I saw a couple of Platypode (yes, that's the correct term for a group of Platypus) in the pool. Next morning I put my kayak in for a fish & had one come up within a few metres of me, just floating watching me.
So does that lead us to Octopode ? I thought they were octopi,but some just refer to them as octopussies :ROFLMAO: 🐙🐙🐙 or lunch

·
Registered
1998 2.8GU wagon
3,279 Posts
Technically it should be Octopode too, as the origins of both Platypus & Octopus are Greek. If the origins were Latin, then it would be Octopi & Platypi. General use now is just Octopus & Platypus for both single & plural.
Here endeth todays lesson in useless information.

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GU IV
18,882 Posts
The unfolding of the James Webb telescope!

Unlike the aging Hubble this can see in the infra red spectrum and is expected to study the origins of our universe, and the make up of atmospheres of planets in systems other than our own.

Whilst it still has over five months until it is fully functional and positioned, it’s a pretty big milestone.

Each hexagonal plate in the mirror has adjustments in the magnitude of thousandths of the width of a human hair before it is finely calibrated.

One thing I don’t understand, and perhaps those more technically inclined than I can help, is the fact that it will ultimately take its place at the L2 Lagrange point in orbit around the sun. No probs there, the logic is impeccable, it always faces away from the sun, and in a 12 month period can view in all directions.

However my (rather basic) understanding of Lagrange points suggests that whilst L4 and L5 are stable, L1,2 and 3 are not, (in the way that a ping pong ball perched upon a basketball is not stable), so it will require regular small adjustments to maintain its position.

As this will be ongoing through its expected lifespan, and it surely does not have enough propellant to facilitate this beyond initial positioning, where will the energy come from to maneuver it in years to come?

I can’t find this information on google so if anyone knows I’d be really appreciative.

But nevertheless, this is a pretty humbling step forward for humanity and the future understandings of astrophysics that will flow from its deployment.

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GU IV
18,882 Posts
-pode would usually be pluralised in English as pod. Like snails are gastropods (stomach-foot). Plural of octopus should therefore be octopods (octo being Latin for eight, pods being mangled Greek for feet); and the plural of platypus being platypods.

Isn't that right, @Leethal?
That’s is my understanding, yes.

Some years ago as I recall I incorrectly (tongue in cheek) assessed a number of Lexus vehicles to be referred to as Lexi, due to the octopi plural.

It may have been your good self, on that occasion, who promptly put me in my place and lectured on Greek origins.

Octopods it is, followed by the widely accepted (due to broad acceptance of the illiterate masses’ vernacular) octopuses.

Not that I accept this, my English isn’t perfect but I try not to butcher it to fall in line with every illiterate muppet.

·
Registered
1989 GQ TD42 wagon
3,224 Posts
That’s is my understanding, yes.

Some years ago as I recall I incorrectly (tongue in cheek) assessed a number of Lexus vehicles to be referred to as Lexi, due to the octopi plural.
One Lexus, two overpriced Toyotas.

It may have been your good self, on that occasion, who promptly put me in my place and lectured on Greek origins.
It may indeed ;).

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
50,753 Posts
Visited a friend who owns a couple of Alpacas, very friendly.
Nose Beard Plant Jaw Gesture

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
18,192 Posts
Oh so many comments could be made, but I don't feel like getting banned .
He looks a bit worried about the tongue in his ear. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

·
After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says W
06 Td42ti coil cab chassis
18,999 Posts
6141 - 6160 of 6177 Posts