Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, have just had some work done on my 2004 zd30 trol, nissan pt augusta pulled the front off the engine thinking it had a timing problem, with nissan australias help. Anyhow was a DMF and clutch problem, my question is when i took it in with this start up rattle the service manager asked me what oil was in it, i said delo400 15w/40 he looked and said nissan reccomend castrol!!! I have been driving it around with no probs it has 15w/40 magnates diesel in it. I dont think it is as good as delo400, but it is quite and drives smooth, it has 140k on the clock. Also a big improvement on noise was the new belt and tensoiner, which i asked to be fitted along with hoses and water pump, IS there anyone else out there running this oil and is it OK, should be they put it in the engine. Also the gearbox has 75w/85 gl4 castrol in it and seems ok. Would like to hear anyones thoughts or experinces on this.

Thanks HANK

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
nissan recommend castrol because that is who they did a deal with, not because its good for the engine.
delo400 will be fine. tho personally i don't like the lastest spec oils (ie CJ-4 and CI-4) they are made for motors with dpf's and run different oil additives. also they tend to have lower base number than older spec oils. as its an older motor i would stick to CH-4 or CF rated oil.

·
Registered
nissan
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like delo400 and i think its TBN is about 10 and the castrol stuff is 8, so it will be getting changed soon.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
735 Posts
Been using the oil Nissan sell over their counter which specifies it is specifically designed for their Nissan Turbo Charged Engines. I was told by Nissan .... especially for the ZD30. However I am lead to believe that each Nissan dealer uses what he thinks is best.....

My 2 bobs worth

·
Registered
nissan patrol
32 Posts
I am using Castrol RX Super in my 4.2 GU. My off road shop who does the major services uses the same. Have not gone near nissan since I found they did not service the vehicle to spec and did things that would see us getting stuck in remote areas (and I had evidence of what was found). they did not even change transfer case oil or grease drive shafts at the major 40k service!

I just bought 20 litre drum of Castrol RX from the local supplier at Queanbeyan for $105 (Reliance in Hight St).

Cheers.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GU4 2006 with Cummins ISDE4.5 270HP , 830 NM Engine Conversion
2,113 Posts
use castrol Edge 0-40. very quiet compare to other brand oils used before. when replace oil @12,000km, still looks very clean

·
Registered
nissan
2,707 Posts
nissan recommend castrol because that is who they did a deal with, not because its good for the engine.
delo400 will be fine. tho personally i don't like the lastest spec oils (ie CJ-4 and CI-4) they are made for motors with dpf's and run different oil additives. also they tend to have lower base number than older spec oils. as its an older motor i would stick to CH-4 or CF rated oil.
Hi tweak'e, only the CJ-4 is meant to be used with dpf's, the CI-4 / CI-4 plus with a JASO-DH1 rating are the best spec oil for any ZD engine without a dpf.

I am a bit weary of the CJ-4 oils as well ;)

:cheers:

·
Registered
nissan
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks whitie, just want use the best for the engine, i think the magnatec is ci4, but im gonna go back to delo 400, i live in quorn in the flinders ranges of SA and it gets pretty hot here, at work on the oilrigs up in the cooper basin we have the latest patrols, they get driven by anyone and have had there share of problems, we use the 10w/40 nissan stuff but still early days for them yet. What would you reccomend for the 5speed box i had nulon 75w/85 full syn GL4 in it but after it came out of the shop its got the castrol stuff, in winter it is a bugger to change into second for a short time then it comes good, should i go back to the nulon or go 75w/90 full syn nulon.

·
Registered
nissan
2,707 Posts
Thanks whitie, just want use the best for the engine, i think the magnatec is ci4, but im gonna go back to delo 400, i live in quorn in the flinders ranges of SA and it gets pretty hot here, at work on the oilrigs up in the cooper basin we have the latest patrols, they get driven by anyone and have had there share of problems, we use the 10w/40 nissan stuff but still early days for them yet. What would you reccomend for the 5speed box i had nulon 75w/85 full syn GL4 in it but after it came out of the shop its got the castrol stuff, in winter it is a bugger to change into second for a short time then it comes good, should i go back to the nulon or go 75w/90 full syn nulon.
G'day Hank, I have an auto so have not really looked into this however, there are a lot of other members with manuals which I am sure will chip in with their experience. I have read before that the manual gearbox does prefer certain oils.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Oil

Why not use what the manufacturer recommends in the Drivers Handbook?

My 2005 GU recommends 5W-30 CF for Diesel and Petrol.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Hi tweak'e, only the CJ-4 is meant to be used with dpf's, the CI-4 / CI-4 plus with a JASO-DH1 rating are the best spec oil for any ZD engine without a dpf.

I am a bit weary of the CJ-4 oils as well ;)

its not just about DPF's. i think it was CI-4 that they started removing some of the good old style oil additives out of the oil.

·
Registered
nissan
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi whitie, how does the auto go compared to the manual, have you compared them, i drove an auto years ago but didnt take any notice, interesting to see if there is much difference in performance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Been using the oil Nissan sell over their counter which specifies it is specifically designed for their Nissan Turbo Charged Engines. I was told by Nissan .... especially for the ZD30. However I am lead to believe that each Nissan dealer uses what he thinks is best.....

My 2 bobs worth

How true, I've been taking my Patrol to the same Nissan dealer for a few years now for a service but not any more, last service they put a SHELL sticker on the windscreen.:shock:

·
Registered
nissan
2,707 Posts
its not just about DPF's. i think it was CI-4 that they started removing some of the good old style oil additives out of the oil.
Hi tweak'e, CI-4 was the first oil specially designed to cater for engines that used EGR to meet the 2004 exhaust emission standards. If I remember correctly, there were quite a few truck manufacturers who deployed EGR stating that if this oil rating was not used on their engines, the warrante would be void...

It was also designed to exceed all previous grade of oils specifications by a quantum leap although it could not be used to replace CF oil if it was required for its sulfur handling capability.

The CF oil was designed in the early 90's specifically to cater for indirect-injection and high sulfur fuel (which we used to have in Australia until the end of 2002) at the expense of other important attributes such as bearing and valve train protection, piston deposit, soot control etc.. It could cater for Sulfur at rates beyond 5000ppm which are common in third world countries, CI-4 can only handle sulfur at rates up to 500ppm.

The fuel sold in Australia now is within these limits and is usually around the 50ppm range :)

hank-70 said:
Hi whitie, how does the auto go compared to the manual, have you compared them, i drove an auto years ago but didnt take any notice, interesting to see if there is much difference in performance.
Hi Hank, they still use the 4 speed auto in the diesel but have mated it well to the torque converter and the diff ratio. Chaz has come up with a way to manually lock the torque converter in any gear so I now have 8 gears to play with, he has also posted a way to easily firm up the gear changes as well :D

The auto cruises on the highway 3-400rpms lower than the manual and I really enjoy driving mine as a semi-automatic :p

As for performance, I think they perform well for a 2.5 ton truck ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts