Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all:
Yes I have used the search function but could not find any satisfying answers (for the 3 liter GQ).

I have bought a 97 3.0 GQ a fair while back and have been working on it when ever I had some time.
One of the last things left before getting it registered again is a change of all oils.
As I have no manual and also could not find anyhting on the web for the 3.0 I was hoping to get some advice here...

So does anyone know what Nissian recommends for
Motor
Gearbox
Transfer Case
Rear Diff
Front Diff

and what are your personal recommendations (for oil and not in regards to selling the 3.0 to get a 4.2....:roll:)

·
Registered
nissan
205 Posts
Engine oil 10w30 to 20w50 depending on climate
Diff gear oil Hypoid LSD or equivalent gear oil APL-GL5
Manual transmission API GL-4 anywhere from 75w to 140 and anywhere in between again depending on climate
Transfer depending on the year its either Dexrion II atf (after Oct. 1991) or API GL4-5 (pre Oct. 1991). I hear some guys use either/or. Nissan made the change to prevent a problem occurring on the auto locking hubs.

Capacities for 3L
Engine oil with filter 6.4 litres
Cooling system (including reservior tank and heater) 11.9 litres
Manual gearbox 5.1 litres
Transfer 2.0 litres
Differential - Front 5.4litres
Rear 2.1 litres (without rear locker)

Now as for viscosities, for most Aussie climates 10w40 should work nice for the engine, and 75/80w-90 for the gearbox/diffs/transfer.

Going thicker in the front and rear diffs is acceptable. However in my opinion, going much thicker than 40 in the engine "might" be to thick, be as always it depends on use, condition of parts and climate.

·
Registered
Nissan
13 Posts
I use to run the same oil I had in my GTR skyline in my RB30 - Castrol 10w-60 full synthetic, cost a bit but was planning on fitting a twincam head and turboing it and would be running this oil anyway so I started early.

·
Registered
nissan
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. That is exactly they kind of data I have been looking for.
But are you sure about the Differential - Front 5.4litres :(??

·
Registered
nissan
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As they have the Castrol Magnatec 10W-40 on special at supercrap at the moment I was thinking of getting some of it for the GQ.

Is that the right kind of oil for the engine (RB30)?
It is fully synthetic. Should I rather use a mineral oil?
Is there any advantage/disadvantage using the synthetic oil in such an old engine??

1 - 5 of 5 Posts