Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4x4
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have asked this question previously, but no answers in 58 views. So, I will try to rephrase what my original question is about.

I have a 1995 GQ 4.2 wagon. 260ks on clock. I have had it since 1998 with 60ks on it. It is a red pearl that has the clear blistering and needs a clean up.

Now, because of its age I am not going to go to the cost of a professional spray job of, ( my guess, $7000 upwards )

The vehicle will be done at home, I live on acreage so a few problems are reduced. What system are suitable for home use without a spray booth. I know environmental concerns and all that but what is the simplest and most cost effective way to go. We need a quick drying system obviously and I need the wagon back on the road as soon as possible.

I am thinking solvent with no clear coat, is that possible. When I ask at the paint outlets they look at me as I have two heads. So, next time I ask them I would like to be a bit more informed because I suspect I am getting the company line.

Pete

ps. I have a mate, an ex old spray painter and panel beater, but he only knows the solvent system and even that has changed a bit.

·
Registered
nissan
1,671 Posts
I have no idea what you mean by "solvent with no clear coat". A solvent isn't a paint, it's a paint dissolver....unless I'm missing something obvious?

·
GHMBC #3
nissan patrol gq lwb,3"lift.
3,788 Posts
are you referring to acrylic and enamels/2 pak's ? . you probably want quick dry enamel. paint & thinners-blow it and its done.acrylics usually need a clear coat as do metallic's. other options are 2 paks which are a mix of paint,hardener and thinners or go for lic40 which is a 2pak enamel type industrial coating that drys as hard as hell,can be cut,is cheap and needs minimal prep .lastly there is hammertone.

·
Registered
459 Posts
to avoid problems use the same as what's on it now. Obviously the pearl paintjob is not standard so we don't know if its acrylic or enamel.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,893 Posts
I have asked this question previously, but no answers in 58 views. So, I will try to rephrase what my original question is about.

I have a 1995 GQ 4.2 wagon. 260ks on clock. I have had it since 1998 with 60ks on it. It is a red pearl that has the clear blistering and needs a clean up.

Now, because of its age I am not going to go to the cost of a professional spray job of, ( my guess, $7000 upwards )

The vehicle will be done at home, I live on acreage so a few problems are reduced. What system are suitable for home use without a spray booth. I know environmental concerns and all that but what is the simplest and most cost effective way to go. We need a quick drying system obviously and I need the wagon back on the road as soon as possible.

I am thinking solvent with no clear coat, is that possible. When I ask at the paint outlets they look at me as I have two heads. So, next time I ask them I would like to be a bit more informed because I suspect I am getting the company line.

Pete

ps. I have a mate, an ex old spray painter and panel beater, but he only knows the solvent system and even that has changed a bit.
Hi mate

I'm a painter by trade and know the colour your talking about and it was a pearl from factory like a lot of GQs running around.

There is a paint system made by the same company that makes LIC (Valspar) which is a 2 pack and your pearl colour can be mixed and applied without requiring a clear coat. They have an industrial system that can be converted from a COB (clear over base colour) to a straight colour even pearls and metallic paints just by changing binders.

I actually have this whole paint system at home for my headlights. All my Projector headlights are painted in this system and requires no clear. This system is cheaper then most automotive paints, wears better then any other paint system and comes in all colours.

What what you are after this is the system I would use. Contact the guys at Autolac for more info and they send Australia wide.

VIM - Industrial Protective Coating Solutions

Home - Autolac Industries Pty. Ltd.

Cheers Mick

·
Registered
4x4
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Mick.

You have answered most of my queries and given the info to the other posters. I have just had a quick look, and seeing my Cowboys are about to take on the Bulldogs in a few minutes will have to have a good look and follow up your information.

Regards

pete

·
Registered
4x4
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My question isn't answered, what do you mean by "solvent"?
Sorry, bad choice of words. Shows how far behind the curve I am on paint system. Fortunately Mick has got me out of jail so I can now review all the available systems and explain my thoughts with a bit more clarity instead of Claret.

Now, I am about to review all the replies, so hold the phone, I will get back to you.

Pete

1 - 9 of 9 Posts