Votes: 4 3.9%
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As the title says. Made a poll too.

Looking for new shocks that are comfortable - pretty sure mine are shagged as it is just crashing through bumps and and quite bumpy and noisy.

I have a 2" lift with KYB Scorched earth shocks - done about 100k in them now.

Thinking of EFS or Tough Dogs. Not to keen on remote reservoir shocks but if they are worlds apart then may go that way.

Not looking for an ultra firm ride but don't want a barge either.

So whats a good shock to use.
Cheers.

·
Its a unimog thing, understand?
452 Posts
I have had EFS Extreme and was very happy with them..would not use Tough Dogs..think they are over rated.
Running Robinson remote res at the moment, but a bit too stiff for the shorty so deciding what to replace them with..if I feel like spending the coin it will be some 2.5 fox shocks, if I'm feeling cheap it will be Koni,s

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,716 Posts
EFS are a good shock. Imo better than tough dog.
I upgraded to Amada Extreme and the difference is amazing. The difference between a generic shock and one that has been specifically tuned for the patrol has to be felt to be believed. They are worth the money.

·
Registered
nissan
97 Posts
I have a set of 3" dobinsons fitted to my GQ at the moment. I am happy with the on road handling They are quite harsh on the road but i don't get any body roll at all.. First time taking them onto fast gravel roads over the weekend and they are all over the place. On corrogations they feel like a pogo stick in te front and in the rear when going over pot holes the rear end of the car feels like it's about to step out and loose control. The car wasn't loaded with gear so it's not because the car was overloaded. Anyone else had similar issues? Anyone have any recommendations on shocks for play/light touring work?

·
Registered
nissan/patrol
3,663 Posts
Ha ha. My $250 Ultima shocks. Better than the EFS enforcer shocks that were on there before. Though I don't do corrugations for hours on end like some of you blokes. For me and the VIC high country they are sweet and for $250 a set of four I can't complain.

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,549 Posts
I have a 2" lift with KYB Scorched earth shocks - done about 100k in them now.

So whats a good shock to use.
Cheers.
100k?? Even that many k's on car shocks they'd be stuffed.
I'm happy with my Ironman Foam Cells but going to get their new bigger bore again Foam Cell Pro's as soon as I get details of their open and closed lengths. A GQ comp rig is running them and he loves them, amazing ride and control according to reports.

·
Registered
nissan
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok thinking between the EFS and Amanda extremes - do the Amada's fit up ok. Don't need to do any mods to make them fi except for mounting the remote reservoir also I have heard a few a leaking.

So everyone with Amada's are happy and well worth the price difference.

Thanks Sydo for that link - was a good read.

·
Registered
300 Posts
If you want comfort as well as good rebound control try Konis.

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,716 Posts
The amadas fit better than the EFS.
Don't worry about them leaking. There were some of the early ones that had a incorrect seal fitted. Superior has resolved this and provide good after sales service so if one was to develop a leak it would be fixed under warranty anyway.
They are well worth the price difference.

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,404 Posts
I had the iron man big foam cells. They were awesome and I put them through hell.

I just put some Monroe gas shocks in (big bore 4wd jobs). As I'm mainly touring with the odd diversion when I see a track..

They have been good and cheap too. Warrenty at any repco store.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GU
1,210 Posts
I've got OME at the moment, had them for last 15k, I find them harsh and stiff unloaded. Once load with stuff in the back, its not bad but.... I'm saving up for Amadas shocks.

Cheers

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,404 Posts
I'm on my second set of 5" EFS Extremes. I had problems with leaking Tough Dog big bores before that.
I considered the tough dogs when I got my current shocks. I'm starting to think it was a good choice..

See how they evolve with the feedback I guess..

1 - 20 of 48 Posts