Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
--- 1989 GQ SWB --- --- 1995 GQ UTE ---
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm taking the sump off to fix a leak and replace the gasket. Is there anything else I should do whilst it is off?

The obvious would be check the strainer and clean up areas I can, anything more?

I'm also trying to work out whether my engine has the stronger internals (pre august 1995) but don't have the year sticker on the rocker cover any more...Is there anything I can spot with the sump off that will tell me specifics of my engine build? Engine number is TD42-108455, from what I have researched is around late '94.

·
Registered
nissan gq
2,369 Posts
I'm taking the sump off to fix a leak and replace the gasket. Is there anything else I should do whilst it is off?

The obvious would be check the strainer and clean up areas I can, anything more?

I'm also trying to work out whether my engine has the stronger internals (pre august 1995) but don't have the year sticker on the rocker cover any more...Is there anything I can spot with the sump off that will tell me specifics of my engine build? Engine number is TD42-108455, from what I have researched is around late '94.
You could check the oil squirters are tight,and if you are confident,plasti-gauge a couple of big end and main bearings to ascertain how they are wearing.The oil drains down the inside of the block for hours,onto the gasket face,I drained mine hot and pulled the sump,cleaned it up, left it overnight and the next day there was still oil slowly running onto the gasket face,so I sprayed brake clean up inside and swabbed it as dry as I could then quickly shoved the sump into place.

·
Premium Member
nissan
7,166 Posts
You could check the oil squirters are tigh
I thought of suggesting the same thing but with a 1995 vehicle the squirters will either be tight or they will be sitting in the bottom of the sump.
if you are confident,plasti-gauge a couple of big end and main bearings to ascertain how they are wearing.
I've gotten unreliable results using plasti-gauge from below the crank when the engine is installed. The weight of the rotating assembly can squash the plasti-gauge wider than it should be showing tolerances on the main saddles to be tighter than they really are. It will work fine on the big ends though.

·
Registered
--- 1989 GQ SWB --- --- 1995 GQ UTE ---
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's some photos I got whilst I was in there.
IMG_6486.JPG IMG_6483.JPG IMG_6481.JPG IMG_6478.JPG

Looks like the squirter nuts have been peened into the stud, so @Overboard would be right in saying that they are either tight or in the sump.
Everything looked in great nick, pretty happy with it. I made a post in another thread about my engine spec: td42 silver top vs black top
I did notice "022M" written in marker on the gasket surface though... anyone know about this or what it could mean?
IMG_6503.JPG

I cleaned up the sump and painted it black, plus re-sealed the turbo oil drain as the previous owner had done the "punch it through method".
IMG_6543.JPG IMG_6544.JPG IMG_6545.JPG

Overall a simple job. If anyone is doing this in the future and needs help just send me a message.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts