Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on the hunt for a 4wd and have spotted an MY10 GU7 with 81000km for $26k from a private seller.

Seems like a reasonable buy so I think I'll go have a look tomorrow.

Is there anything in particular you'd recommend looking out for?

Cheers,
Pete

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,269 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Not really that much to look for, if it has a good (genuine) maintenance record, is a "clean" unit and has not been thrashed off road with big tyres and lots of weight then your looking pretty good, there really wasn't a hell of a lot that went wrong with them if they were reasonably looked after.

Cracks in rear door and cracks in rear suspension towers can sometimes be a side effect of a thrashing and too much weight.

Is it auto or manual? not that this makes any difference.

·
Registered
nissan
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome Gee. =)

I'm restricting my search to automatics because the wife isn't fond of manuals and I need budget approval. =)

I'll look out for those cracks.

I forgot to ask about service history on the phone which was a bit daft. I can check out the log book tomorrow though.

·
Registered
nissan
206 Posts
Welcome to the forum Pete.
If you look at it and like it buy it.
New CommonRails are pretty good.
As geeyoutoo stated make sure the service history is there and if it starts with ease.
Engage 4WD High and Low lock the hubs. Look for excessive smoke from exhaust.
Look for oil around the inlet for the turbo and intercooler as these are known for leaking.

Anyway welcome again Pete and Goodluck with your purchase if not this one another 4wd

SAW Troll
Scotty

·
Registered
nissan
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What sort of things might tip me off that it's ex mine? It is a white DX.

I'm thinking I look for fine dust, but not sure what else to hunt for.

·
Registered
nissan
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just checked it out. The guy assured me he was the 2nd owner and hadn't had the opportunity to actual take it off road.

The roof had been roughed up where a roof rack had been installed and uninstalled.

Couple of dents underneath and the panels beneath the doors have been resprayed.

Looks to be a bit of surface rust where the panel is crimped to the chassis (I think...). I didn't expect to see any rust on a vehicle this age, but I could be over sensitive on that.

Enough question marks that I didn't bother with a test drive. Hopefully the next one I look at is better.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,269 Posts
What sort of things might tip me off that it's ex mine? It is a white DX.

I'm thinking I look for fine dust, but not sure what else to hunt for.
We recently had a guy buy one that was more than likely ex mines, the chassis was badly rusted on the inside even though a cursory inspection on the outside looked ok (it had been blacked). You should be able to tell from the service history where it was from and what has been done. Good luck with your search and be pedantic in each investigation, don't be afraid to ask why they are selling if private, your investing considerable money.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts