Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I have a 2003 4.8 auto gu, Im looking at putting an exhaust system on it. I was looking at the 2 3/4 beaudesert system but have decided against this as if i damage it or the muffler fails 2 3/4 stuff is to hard to come by. So im now having trouble deciding do I go for a 2.5 in or a 3 inch system, not to worried about the cost difference. Hopefully you guys can give me some advice

Cheers :)

·
Registered
nissan
526 Posts
2.5" is the size you want. 3" is to big. look for a good set of extractors/headers, high flow cat and high flow muffler and your in business.

·
Registered
nissan
1,482 Posts
I too just asked someone in the know this the other day. He's modded heaps of 4.8's and knows them well. He said go 3" for sure. Use hi flow cat and quality mufflers.

I would have thought a little too big too but he has done plenty of dyno work with them. I'm still open to other opinions from those in the know. Facts only please.

·
Registered
256 Posts
my 4.8 is running a 3" system, no drama's and my exhaust bloke reckons thats what size he would of done it in

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cheers for the replies guys, I would have thought 3 inch would be the go myself but a couple people said to big. looks like I will go for the 3 inch :cool:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
2.75 is probably i good size, it may well be the best size how ever if i damage it or if the muffler claps out no one does 2.75 inch exhausts. which means either mis matching stuff or paying thru the nose the get replacement gear freighted from beaudesert to perth, not to mention the wait. thats why i have ruled it out. the quote i had for a 3 inch system is about 500 bucks cheaper than the beau system too

·
Registered
nissan patrol
449 Posts
I wish a 4.8 owner would post up a sound clip of their exhaust system!?

·
Registered
nissan
64 Posts
u can here it drone a bit but since i got mud tyres ons it doesnt bother me anyways u do get used to it

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hi Muzz

Can't remember what size is standard ?

But also been looking for something which had improved performance down low but made no more sound - i.e. something genuinely better than stock but without compromizes , and have been unable to find. Emails with Beau dessert , saw them back away from low noise claims etc.

a 3 inch might have less restriction at 5000 rpm but , main issues I see is in 2-3000rpm bracket and 2.5inch looks like it maight be better there.

I would not worry about issues getting replacements for 2 3/4 as you can always get adaptors made up , I think Beaudessert adapts into and out of CAT anyway ?

·
Registered
nissan patrol
449 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Muzz

Can't remember what size is standard ?

But also been looking for something which had improved performance down low but made no more sound - i.e. something genuinely better than stock but without compromizes , and have been unable to find. Emails with Beau dessert , saw them back away from low noise claims etc.

a 3 inch might have less restriction at 5000 rpm but , main issues I see is in 2-3000rpm bracket and 2.5inch looks like it maight be better there.

I would not worry about issues getting replacements for 2 3/4 as you can always get adaptors made up , I think Beaudessert adapts into and out of CAT anyway ?
i could get the pipe flared or shrunk but then that kinda defeats the purpose of having a system that size, may as well stick with a more common size for ease of replacement/repair if need be

·
Registered
nissan
64 Posts
Thanks for going out of your way to post that up! Nice thongs by the way.
Did you haave another video clip where you are giving the 4.8 the berries?

Nah mate not at the moment that afternoon the throttle chamber failed on me(for the second time) so ive had to order a new one could be a couple weeks before my car goes again

1 - 20 of 20 Posts