Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have ordered myself some wheels today, but now i'm thinking maybe i should have got a different size, i am just looking for some thoughts/feedback on what you guys reckon.

I am going for a Mickey Thompson Classic II and i have ordered a 16x8 in a -22 offset. I have had a look at my mates wheels which are procomp in the same style in a 16x10 not sure of the offset though. So now i'm thinking a 16x10 in -22 to get a deeper dish wheel (I like the look better) but i'm worried the tyres will hang out past the flares by an inch or so.
I am running 315/75/16 STT's and a 16x8 -22 and they are already on the limit. I have thought about extending the flares a bit, but i'm not overly keen on that idea either. I have also heard that 10" wheels make it easier to pop the tyre off the bead when running lower pressures, but is that in a 315/75/16 tyre as the tyre guru said an 8" rim is the minimum size i can have my tyres on?
All thoughts and feedback appreciated.

Cheers, Dan.

·
Registered
Nissan
527 Posts
Sorry i am NO guru..:-(

But experience has tought me to stick with most popular sizes especially if you travel a bit as you might have trouble getting 16 x 10...
You will have no trouble getting 16 x 8...

Yes i believe a 10 inch will break a bead more easilly as a tighter 8 inch rim will hold firmer but cannot guarantee that & as you say you have issues with flares..

So i would suggest 16 x 8 in a neg 22 will be close to being past the guards.......... i am looking to order some neg22 steels in a 16 x 8 so i will watch to see responses from those with more "rimming experience"........... . oooooops sorry rim & tyre experience.

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
If you get 10s your tyre will stick out 2 inches further than they currently are, and bead retention will be poor offroad, I have seen 10s debead at 25psi!

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
whats more important - looks or using them for offroad?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the comments fellas, i ended up going a 16x10 -27, very happy with em so far.

They don't stick out any more than 5mm further than the 16x8 -22 ones i had and that is only due to 5mm difference in the offset.

If i have trouble with the bead breaking i will cross that bridge when i get to it, but my rig is more for touring and camping than offroading so would very rarely be a problem for me, a mate of mine is running the same size rim and tyre combo on his cruiser and does more offroading in a month than most people would do in a year and never has any worries with his, so we'll see how it goes.

Cheers, Dan.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Ya often wonder why people bother asking for advice.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
whats more important - looks or using them for offroad?
Well what kind of a comment is that Mate, i wasn't gonna mention it, but it is not helpful at all, you do realize you can have a vehicle that looks the part as well as being good in performance as well don't you? I was always gonna get alloy wheels i was just looking for advice on size, but ultimately made my own descision as i was always gonna anyway, not based on your useless comment above.

Ya often wonder why people bother asking for advice.
And here's another useless comment, i have been on this forum for a number of years Mate and very rarely post because of bull**** like this, you very rarely have anything good to say, so why don't you just keep your opinions to yourself, it seems that whenever anyones opinion differs to yours you make a big thing out of it.
As stated in my post above, my mate has the very same kind of wheels and tyres on his cruiser and does more offroading in a month than most people do in a year and there has been no worries with his whatsoever, i was mainly worried about them hanging past my flares, and as it turns out it was nothing to worry about at all, so no problem. If it seems like i'm having a go at you well i am, i have been noticing your crappy comments on peoples threads for ages now, they are very rarely helpful and it seems more often than not you are just tryin to wind people up, if you can't be helpful Mate then don't bloody bother. I figured someone might have some good info for me and someone else may have gotten something out of it as well, that's what these forums are about are they not? I won't bloody bother in future.

Thanks to all you guys with helpful comments, they are much appreciated even if i do end up going my own way in the end anyway, contrary to most sensible advice.
Truckster, just don't bother Champ you aren't helping anyone.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
305 Posts
Hey mate have you got any pics.

I am having the same delemma that you where having. I run the same tyres but dont want them to stick out to far.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey mate have you got any pics.

I am having the same delemma that you where having. I run the same tyres but dont want them to stick out to far.
Pics in my build thread Mate, If you want to be safe i was running 16x8 -22 wheels with 315/75/16 tyres and they were pretty well level with the flares, these wheels are 16x10 -27 and are just past the flares, i'm not worried about them as it's not too obvious unless youre looking closely. It's pretty much an individual call though Mate, and remember not all tyres measure in exactly the same, so if you had say a 315/75/16 in a BF Goodrich then they might hang out more than my coopers in the same size because they might measure up a bit bigger (just an example). I took a bit of a gamble with mine and figured if they did stick out too far i would just extend the flares somehow.

Cheers, Dan.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts