Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
nissan gu3 2001
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
just wondering what solar panels people are using when camping.
I was curious if an 80 watt solar panel would be sufficiant to run my 60ltr engle and lights, or just to charge the second battery if the fridge stays in the car?

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
go look on Myswag.org

everythin you need is there.
Speak with Mandrake on there, he is the house guru and sells them too.

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
Mandrake have just appointed a seller here in Perth (he's a Patrol Dude as well). Check out the Mandrake web site. There is cheaper on Ebay but not of the Quality and teh mandrake stuff is priced quite competitively for its quality.

I have no relationship with Mandrake or the Perth dude and have enough Soalr Gear to start my own grid so nothing in it for me... just saying is all...

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,333 Posts
I have 120W Monocrystalline solar panel with a built in regulator and leads etc and is a suitcase fold out style setup. I run a 60l Engel combi F/F and lighting - chargers etc off this this no problems. I recently spent 12 days inland camping with the panels connected to my deepcycle battery and my battery never once showed signs of going flat. The patrol only ran for a roughly 10-12 hours in those 12 days as we were using the quad bikes to explore

·
The nutty professor
8,299 Posts
mine is way overkill, 2 x 120 watt panels conected to 2 x 120 amp/h batteries, but it can run 2 x fridges , lights radio plus more and the batteries will never go flat, thinking about building a 12 volt computer and take the video projector for movies while camping lol

·
Registered
nissan patrol
305 Posts
I have an 85w on the ute charging 2 deep cycle batteries. Off that i can run 40L +15L engle frindge in full sun without starting the motor, constantly.

If it is overcast i get about 4-5 days before charging

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
1,610 Posts
mine is way overkill, 2 x 120 watt panels conected to 2 x 120 amp/h batteries, but it can run 2 x fridges , lights radio plus more and the batteries will never go flat, thinking about building a 12 volt computer and take the video projector for movies while camping lol
I don;t think thats overkill mate, that setup looks the goods for never have to worry about 12v power in 'most' conditions.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
1,610 Posts
I'm just recently getting into solar cause I'm sick of running the troll to charge up the batteries from running (mostly) fridges when away.

I have 2 120AH Redback thumpers with a 180W solar panel through a 40A MPPT digital controller (planned ahead). I really need another 120W panel to cover cloudy days for my amp use to get to the "never need to start the car stage".

·
The nutty professor
8,299 Posts
I don;t think thats overkill mate, that setup looks the goods for never have to worry about 12v power in 'most' conditions.
well so far even on cloudy days the panels put enough charge in , unless it is really dark thick clouds

what i have found is each battery needs a panel, originally i had 1 panel and 2 batteries and it seemed to stuggle to get the batteries to float, add another panel and by 8 am the batteries were fully charged and at float,

i actually have another panel and 2 more batteries incase i go power mad with mod cons but i have neer needed them as of yet, depends on the length of stay and how comfy i want to be :p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts