Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Organising an exhaust but the maker requires thread type for the pyro take off, I havent purchased the pyro yet but are the pyro threads all the same on the different brands, if not what brand would be recommended and what thread type, hoping someone here will have an easy answer...................

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,090 Posts
They're all different (VDO is 1/4BSP, Autometer is 1/8NPT).
You could just put in 1/4 and then screw in a reducing bush if necessary (that's what I did).

·
Registered
nissan gu3 2001
349 Posts
Organising an exhaust but the maker requires thread type for the pyro take off, I havent purchased the pyro yet but are the pyro threads all the same on the different brands, if not what brand would be recommended and what thread type, hoping someone here will have an easy answer...................

I had the same dilema when i bought my Scotts Exhaust. His solution was to weld a 20mm steel adapter into the dump and to drill and tap the 20 mm plug for your size pyro when you get it.(its big enough for all pyros) It worked a treat. doesnt look too untidy either as its covered by the heat shield.

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,407 Posts
I got an auberins, it came with a 1/8 NPT thread on the probe dooflicky, which, as it turns out, is a pain in the butt kind of thread to find (you wont find one at bunnings). I got one from pirtek at great expense to the management, and cut it in half; welded to the dump pipe.

I kept the dump pipe / cat assembly when i got my 2 3/4" exhaust fitted, will put it in classifieds in case someone doesnt have welding skills to modify it them self..

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,407 Posts
I reakon it all fits eventually, just have to use a bigger adjustable spanner until it does :)

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,090 Posts
NPT will screw into BSP, it's only the thread angle that's different.
Mine wouldn't. I originally got a 1/4 to 1/8 (both NPT) reducing bush to try and force into the 1/4BSP thread. The thread binds after two turns and won't budge. You can get NPT to BSP adapters (which is what I did).

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
They're all different (VDO is 1/4BSP, Autometer is 1/8NPT).
You could just put in 1/4 and then screw in a reducing bush if necessary (that's what I did).
Actually the VDO standard is 1/4"NPT. But they come in almost any size you want them.

Personally Id put a 1/4"NPT and then you can always adapt anything to it.

·
Patrol 2.8 TD
nissan patrol
1,640 Posts
Im installing my gauges this weekend. Rather than starting a new thread, is there a step by step on how to install the boost gauge on this forum?

Sorry for the slight hijack

·
Registered
Nissan
1,671 Posts
Im installing my gauges this weekend. Rather than starting a new thread, is there a step by step on how to install the boost gauge on this forum?

Sorry for the slight hijack
Yeah there is tonka, search for it. If you can't find it let me know I'll take some picks and email it to you.
Cheers
Troy

·
Patrol 2.8 TD
nissan patrol
1,640 Posts
meh im searching... cant find any threads with lots of pics on how to.

·
Registered
nissan
625 Posts
Wrong, thread angle and also thread count (threads per inch).

1/4"BSP is 28tpi and 1/4"NPT is 27tpi from memory.
As the thread is usually only 20mm long, and the crap standards of fittings they tend to screw in OK, the other poster must have being unlucky to get some higher tolerance fittings. I'm always screwing NPT into BSW, as it too difficult to keep a stock of both sizes in every type of fitting.

·
Registered
nissan
777 Posts
cheers mate, ill most likely do the same + hoping I can get a boost gauge in there too?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts