Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol rd28t
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm hoping this is an easy fix which i've overlooked.
i've got a gq wagon with 5" super flexi coil and 7" shockies in the rear , the problem is the spring on the o/s/r is rubbing the shockie and creating a slight dent the n/s/r just misses. what can i do to creat more clearence?

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GQ GU
1,295 Posts
just pull the rear shocks off, and chuck a spacer on the mounts then put the shocks back in. . . .plenty of thread for a 5mm spacer top and bottom.
I have this problem also Jacket but not sure i understand what you mean for the fix mate? can you explain again?

To the OP do you also have a dent near the bottom of the shock where they have hit the bump stop mount under full flex? Mine have done this and i need to sort them out before the shocks are totally trashed.

I was going to shorten the length of the upper adjustable control arms in the rear to move the springs away from the shocks a little, might give the pinion a little angle too and take some of the slight vibes out.

Jacket your solution sounds a heap easier that stuffing around with the control arms but i am not sure what you said mate. where do the spacers go?

·
"Toxic Personality"
nissan
9,132 Posts
On the actual shock mount. . . the stubb that you mount each end of the shock on. . . they will face forward on the top, and backwards on the bottom on the back of the diff. . . . there will be a tapered smooth shaft that goes through the eye of the shock bush, with the thread being thinner and a flange washer holding the shock in place secured by a 19mm nut.

ill get a photo tomorrow if you need it.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GQ GU
1,295 Posts
Got ya! will a spacer affect the taper on the inside of the shock bush though?

I will definitely have a closer look at that solution, sounds a heap easier. what were you using as a spacer? just a big washer of cutting something out? i probably have some spare shock mount washers about??

·
"Toxic Personality"
nissan
9,132 Posts
Got ya! will a spacer affect the taper on the inside of the shock bush though?

I will definitely have a closer look at that solution, sounds a heap easier. what were you using as a spacer? just a big washer of cutting something out? i probably have some spare shock mount washers about??
No mate. . . its the same as the panhard rods. the taper is only after the shock bush. -on the threaded end. you will be fine just putting a spacer on the inside against the diff.:p

·
Registered
nissan patrol rd28t
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
to easy,as i said the obvious was looking me in the face.with regards to the bump stop plates just cut 20mm off the back it won't affect anything.i did this and removed my springs to check and the bump stops still hit the plate,but plenty of clearence for the shockies:iconbana:

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GQ GU
1,295 Posts
No mate. . . its the same as the panhard rods. the taper is only after the shock bush. -on the threaded end. you will be fine just putting a spacer on the inside against the diff.:p
Of course it is you Idiot MR! Cheers Jacket will ahve a look at this when i get a chance. What did you use to space out?

to easy,as i said the obvious was looking me in the face.with regards to the bump stop plates just cut 20mm off the back it won't affect anything.i did this and removed my springs to check and the bump stops still hit the plate,but plenty of clearence for the shockies:iconbana:
Yeah i need to cut it off, would have been a fair sight easier to do when i was fitting the suspension. Damn. I need to address this in the next couple of weeks and will do the cut and space. i hope the shocks are still serviceable. we will see. a heads up from the supplier would have been a winner!:rolleyes:

·
"Toxic Personality"
nissan
9,132 Posts
i dont worry about it to much. . . iv got a 6in lift and 45mm big bore tough dog shocks, -they hit everything:headwall:

and since im often in riverbeds scraping-climbing over boulders denting everything, i havnt actually bothered making them not get scratches from my car.;) my front end flexes so much my shocks hit my radius arms! and that dents them aswell. . . . :rolleyes: oh-well.

its an easy fix tho if you're worried about it. ill probably get coilovers on my next patrol -that fixes it too:ahah:

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GQ GU
1,295 Posts
Yeah not overly worried about the shocks rubbing on the springs but will fix if i am going to the trouble. But i have to cut the bump stop base off cause they have [email protected] the shocks big time.

Cheers

·
Autos are Superior
11,601 Posts
i dont worry about it to much. . . iv got a 6in lift and 45mm big bore tough dog shocks, -they hit everything:headwall:

and since im often in riverbeds scraping-climbing over boulders denting everything, i havnt actually bothered making them not get scratches from my car.;) my front end flexes so much my shocks hit my radius arms! and that dents them aswell.
and you wonder why it doesnt sell?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.