Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
gday
bought a '90 gq patrol turbo diesel 6 days ago - unfortunately between swapping parts (my maverick was undriveable on saturday night) i had to take the diesel - woke up sunday morning and found it like this

i am assuming its written off - 5 panels, bent radius arm (a banana would be straighter) chassis rail probably will be bent (bonnet alignment is all rooted) bull bar snorkel - all that jazz...

thank f*** the bloke who did it came back and left his number on the windscreen
he has started the insurance process; now this is where it will get tricky.
i paid 8000 + 526 transfer fee; and i know from family experience - i wont get any near that.
1) do i keep the car and swap the diesel into my mav
2) see if i can haggle more money out of them and look for a new one
3) insurance pays me under 8500 and i demand to keep the car (which is a tall order no doubt)
(as it says on RACV website they will cover on road costs etc)

does anyone have any thoughts - i know i should wait to see what happens with insurance; but i feel i should make my mind up before they take the car

cheers dave

Attachments

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
so this smashed one is the new diesel right?
I'd start with seeing how much they'll pay with you keeping the wreck.
put all the fruit on the mav.

What the hell did he hit it with? and how fast? It might be worth getting police to look at that and measure the skids etc. Might be a hoon case, not that they'd bother impounding the car.

I assume that was where it was parked. Hopefully it was legally parked. I have a feeling that when stopped on the verge you're supposed to face the "right" way, that is passengers side to the kerb drivers toward the road.

·
The Bear
nissan
2,407 Posts
thats not an injury, its just a fleshwound.

·
Registered
nissan
8 Posts
If you paid that much only a few days ago, you'd have a pretty good case for getting it all back from his insurance. It shouldn't be too hard to prove the damages- you have a pretty good indication of the market value..

It'll obviously need to be reported to the rozzers, but I wouldn't be pushing for any further investigation than the police want to do. If the other driver was drunk or driving dangerously, his insurance could have a way to deny him coverage. If that happens you'd have to go after him personally and if he's broke, that could mean $20 per week until it's paid off. I'd rather keep my mouth shut and make sure that his insurance coughs up.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,364 Posts
u would be suprised when my 93 diesel troll got written off about 8 months ago insurance gave me $10,000 for it. their value has really shot up.

·
Registered
nissan
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
with some progression today - i took photos to a panel beater; they said only judging from what iv told them, and photos its a total loss, but because its third party insurance - i should get 8526 - what a wrecker would pay for the wreck (1500 ish) so i roughly come away with $7000 and i keep the wreck. think i would be happy with that

Man that looks like a hard hit,did it rip that front wheel clean off?
not clean off - stripped threads on 4 studs, and the rim has ripped from two other studs (as troys said!)

so this smashed one is the new diesel right?
What the hell did he hit it with? and how fast? It might be worth getting police to look at that and measure the skids etc.
I assume that was where it was parked. Hopefully it was legally parked.
this is the diesel; hit it with a hilux (luckily cos anything other than a 4wd and he probably would be in hospital) i cant tell you how fast - but after putting the mav back together and seeing how fast i can get to the car - somewhere around 70 - 80 (thats bloody quick into a stationary car!) also doesnt mean that he hit it that fast - gives us all an idea though.
this pic is where the car was - two wheel on the nature strip; two in the gutter. i have a copper friend - who more or less said yes i am facing the wrong way, but the nature strip starts where the concrete of the gutter starts, and where the asphalt finishes - which is how the car was parked. so it was legally parked. speaking to him he said dont get the police involved; if its found he was speeding/drunk what ever - insurance wont cover him, and then im stuck with a wreck...

If you paid that much only a few days ago, you'd have a pretty good case for getting it all back from his insurance. It shouldn't be too hard to prove the damages- you have a pretty good indication of the market value..
this happened to my dad as well, was written off about 3 weeks after he bought his ute - paid 18000 for it, could prove how much it all cost, and the best the insurance could do was 11500...

Attachments

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,248 Posts
Farking bugger! Scavenge what you can, cause chances are you will have to dish out some extra coin to keep the rig.

·
Registered
nissan
1,841 Posts
That bullbar has taken a fair wack, I think the front left would have almost vanished if its didnt have one. The dude driving the car would have got the fright of his life.

·
Registered
Nissan GUII 3L Patrol
388 Posts
I'm suprised the hilux was able to drive away !

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Sit back and see what the best deal the insurance company will give
There was a formula of a % of the total write off value that the wrecker would pay
Used to be 12.5% ,not sure what it is nowadays
As for what the insurance company mite want for the wreck
There was one GQ at the local smash repairs in town coupla months ago
Identical damage but on drivers side
Insurance company sold as is where is for $500

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
I'd call RACV legal department Monday Morning, see what options you have.

I agree, how could anyone drive away in what hit it, more shocked nobody heard anything.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts