·
Registered
Nissan patrol gq
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I'm looking at getting a gq patrol I'd prefer diesel and I'm wanting to
Know what to look out for on them?

Also I'm not sure on wether to get a lwb or swb I would prefer a coil cab ute but I think that's out of my price range

Any help is appreciated
Cheers

·
Registered
407 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forums :)

Have a look at this site for some pretty good information about GQ's.

Overall GQ's are very solidly built, and it would be hard to go wrong with a TD42 (Note this is the engine code for the naturally aspirated 4.2 diesel).

Service history is important with a diesel and it would be best to find one that has been serviced every 5000kms.

Going LWB or SWB is a personal preference, so can't really help you with that one.

All in all, be prepared to be patient and to spend a lot of time looking for that perfect buy. Don't rush into anything!

Cheers, and keep us updated!

·
Registered
Nissan patrol gq
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks mate yeah I have a couple of mates with the gu td42t and I love them but the money kills it for me. So a gq is the next beat thing.
How unstable is a swb to a lwb?
How can you tell if a diesel engine is in good condition? And been looked after as most of the
Ones that have a good price have quite alot of klms.

·
Registered
nissan gq swb
483 Posts
Thats the problem with most GQs these days(high ks) I went searching for a shorty, and struggled to find much under the 250,000-300,000ks. Diesels seem to bring a higher price than petrol, or petrol/gas.
I wanted a diesel, but ended up with a petrol/gas shorty. Price of diesel is killing having one IMHO.

Shorty v LWB will come down to what you want to do with it, how many people to carry, etc.

·
Registered
nissan
455 Posts
with diesels high kms isnt an issue as its exaclty that a diesel, you will know if a car has been looked after when you go view one. if they havent been arsed to detail it before you view it then more than likely they couldnt have bothered to do regular maintenance. if i were you save you pennies alittle longer and get a td42 or if your lucky a td42t

·
Banned
nissan
477 Posts
I just found a good LWB GQ TD42 a few weeks ago after almost five months searching. My tip is, be patient and be prepared to travel.

Also if you are only after a diesel look every day as the good ones seemed to sell within two or three days. Service history is a big thing to tell how the motor has been looked after, remove the oil cap with the engine running to check there isn't too much blow by. Listen if there is excessive tappet noise as if there is, he hasn't done them or had them done for a while, is usually a good indication on how he looks after the car. If he cant be bothered to do the tappets, I doubt he would do much else. The list could go on but they are the first things i look/listen for.

There are good ones out there but there is a lot of rough ones too.

As for the stability question I have had both a SWB and LWB now and the SWB was always much scarier going down and up big steps but I did some crazy things in that old SWB and never rolled it but now I have had other patrols it was the one which I felt i might roll. Did the same tracks in the GU ute and never had that feeling.

Ben

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
What budget are you looking at ???
Good examples are getting good $$$

So IF ya think a good will come along cheap,good luck,or have money in hand ready to buy

Every man and his dog are on the hunt for good GQs,hence the price some are getting and the time they are for sale for

Have cash waiting,look every where you can and be ready to buy now
You hesitate , itll be gone

Theres just days and days of reading on this forum regarding GQs, problems , issues,whats better than what ect ect
Enjoy your reading

·
Registered
Nissan
797 Posts
This is more in the nature of general car advice than anything specific to the GQ, but first and foremost get a car with a straight and rust-free body.

Next: don't bargain-hunt. Get an idea of what market price is and be prepared to pay it.

Be patient. Never be afraid to walk away from a deal if you don't like where things are going.

·
Registered
Nissan patrol gq
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks guys after my other thread we are starting to save some money and get rid of our other cars in favour for a late gq or early gu coil cab ute.

I think i will also go with something that has some mods already to save some cash and do what others have said and wait for the right one.

gee i cant wait

cheers inbits

1 - 9 of 9 Posts