Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, iv found a Mq patrol with a SD33t,its a ute and looks fairly tidy.

its been sitting for a while as its a deceased estate.

what im wanting to know if what I should be looking for. the car wont start so the first thing I was going to do is put a jump pack to it and see what happens.

secondly the clutch master is missing all its fluid so ill need to re beleed the system and see how the clutch is.

iv had a quick look over it and cant see any oil on the motor apart from rocker cover and breather leaking also I can see oil around the transfercase( mainly around the hand brake assembly).

the car is leaf sprung so 2 inch shackles should so the trick there.

all I want to know is, is there anything major that goe wrong with these cars/ engines and is there anything else I should be looking at ?

thanks

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
it will be either the clutch master or slave or both failed - should be way under 200 for both.

If the td33t is working and you can get it cheap may be worth getting.

With leaf the ride is hard - but I would still have my old mk if it had not been stolen

You will probably have to to the bushes in the springs

Check for rust - floor pan, fire wall, gutters and radiator support brackets

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
11,049 Posts
As Tank said check for rust! MQ/MK's love to rust.

The SD will blow smoke on start up, that's normal, but check that it runs smooth and with no smoke at operating temp.
Also check under the bellhousing to see if the rear main is leaking, and check for bubbles in the radiator to ensure the head gasket is okay.

Aside from that, just do the standard used car checks: oil, coolant, operation of transmission, transfer and hubs, that sorta stuff. These cars don't have too many major issues.

·
The Prodigal Child Has Returned
nissan
7,293 Posts
Pretty tough old motors mate . If it does not start up or shut off look at the edic motor. To a quick search or look in the bible thread to show you the tricks. Once running it will most Likely puff a bit of smoke , this is all good providing it clears up .
I would check there's no bubbles on the radiator , as head gasket are a common issue.

Sent using carrier pigeon from Bill Lawrie

·
Registered
nissan
1,339 Posts
Take off the oil cooler and clean out the buildup of muck. Can get pretty bad in there.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah well iv had a quick look I can see rust on the fire wall above the brake booster, I can also see oil from the breather and hose. thanks for the info ill take a better look tomorrow when I try start it

·
1986 SD33T SWB
11,049 Posts
Rust on the firewall is somewhat common, hopefully it doesn't require welding to fix.

Oil from the breather isn't a big deal as long as its not blowing excessive amounts. If you have a torch its worth a peek down the intake, a very fine film of oil in the intake is normal, a thicker layer could indicate a tired engine.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok cool, and leaking near the transfer case, expecially near the hand brake, just an output shaft seal ?

·
nissan
7,293 Posts
Chances are yes. Should not be to hard to fix . Oil around the breather, is nothing. If your getting it cheap she'll be apples

·
Registered
nissan patrol
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok cool, yeah its cheap. parts still cheap and easy to find example, 2inch lift gaskets, hoses water pump ?

·
nissan
7,293 Posts
Most parts still easy to get, hoses , gaskets, water pumps, brake parts yadda yadda yaaaa. Lift is no worries , can be a little pricy and in some cases worth more then the truck , but all depends on how you shop. , some parts are interchangeable between other models doors, windscreen glass . A Search will cover all .

·
Registered
nissan patrol
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well managed to get it started. took a little while as it was sitting for a fair amount of time. I will need to install a push button for the glow plugs as I needed to run a wire from the battery to glow it.

cracked injectors and cranked over pretty well. it did fire and run smoothly no smoke what so ever it idles really low to the point where it almost dies so ill need to adjust that.

other problem I found was I filled the clutch master only to find out it was leaking fluid into the cab. safe to say ill need a new clutch master before im able to see if the clutch is funstional

It is a ute, im 6 foot 4 and im struggling to fit into it. has anyone had success in chopping a section out of the seat mounts to lower them down a little ? or is there another alternative ?

thanks

Marti

·
1986 SD33T SWB
11,049 Posts
It is typical of SD's to idle very low when cold.
I don't have a working tacho so I don't know where mine idles, but it needs a little bit of hand throttle to stop the car vibrating when cold. If the idle is too low when warm then its a fix that should be super easy.. just a threaded rod and a 14mm nut that but its an absolute shyte of a thing to get to with the injector rail on. You can get a spanner on the nut, but you can't turn it.

As for seat mounts, you won't really be able to lower them as the inner side already sits on the trans tunnel. Being a ute there's not a lot you can do to improve leg room, single cab utes suck!

The engine running well with no smoke is a good sign. As long as it only requires minor work it could be a good buy. Replace the slave when you do the master as well, if one's gone then the other probably isn't far behind.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Low idle can also be a faulty edic motor that shuts the shut of valve partly.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts