Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to slim down the amount of gear I take on 4x4 day trips. Until now I've always taken a whole screwdriver set and my whole socket set plus a large and small pair of Vise Grips and a large and small adjustable wrench. What do you guys usually take away with you?

·
Registered
nissan patrol
114 Posts
this is what i take
screwdriver set, socket set, spanner set, hammer, cutters, plires, pointy nose, vice grips, spark plug tool(for motobike), tie wire, cable ties, electrical connectors, fuses, crimp tool, electrical tape, wire, a box of nuts and bolts, screws ect and lever pipe and i thinks thats about it to get me out of trouble on a deisel oh and a can of wd40 or crc work good for seized bolts all in a tool bag and packs up fine
hope that gives you a starting point

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
100 Posts
everything marty said plus the mighty shifter. all sits in small toolbox wedged between fridge and back seat. just fold the seat forward and there it is.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
114 Posts
i just went and had a look at my tool bag and i forgot to mention
knife, allen keys, gasket glue, loctite, gas soldering iorn, solder, shifter, mulitimeter

·
Registered
nissan patrol
32 Posts
Mostly all of what is mentioned. Dont forget that these are metric spanners and sockets needed. Some large sockets/spanners (19mm and bigger) are good too. Another useful tool to get the front hubs off is a allen key head that has a socket attachment. So if you have to remove the hub you can do it with the ratchet socket wrench.

I also throw in the Bead Breaker and tyre repair kit (tyre plugs etc).

·
Premium Member
nissan gu td42
172 Posts
Either a short trip or long trip it's the same, take it all even if you don't use it.
Hi Lift, use a cutting board as a base plate don't forget sharp knife.
It all helps, we like our creature comforts in the bush so we take it all with us, anyway have a Happy New Year.

·
Registered
nissan
796 Posts
duct tape and a hammer
if it moves and it shouldn't - duct tape
if it doesn't move and it should - hammer

·
Registered
nissan
136 Posts
All of above, add files, duct tape, cable ties, kneadit, silicone, araldyte, spare cable, multi meter, the list goes on!!

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,146 Posts
All the above, the thing you dont take is the one you will need.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Registered
NISSAN GU PATROL
694 Posts
If its just a day trip i just bring the Beer, and a phone just incase i need help :)

·
Roads are for Toyota's
nissan patrol 4.2
1,860 Posts

·
Banned
nissan
261 Posts
and the little star driver to get the maf out if I ever need to. cant remember the right name for it...and some grease....and a hand full of rags....and a good sized brass drift for bearing removal. Dont forget the torque wrench set at 100ft/lb for the wheel nuts:angryfir:

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol Gu 2000 3.0ltr
52 Posts
Def zippy ties as has been mentioned, something i have found decent as well is a file

·
Registered
757 Posts
unless we are away from home on a extended hoilday i dont carry anything other than what came in the standard tool kit. (and a phone)

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
CRC electrical contact cleaner. In addition to some of the other gear.

If it's just a day trip you're probably not going too need 40kgs of tools. Just a mate to tow you home if something breaks. Patrols don't actually break that easily unless you try to break them or your routine maintenance isn't as effective as it could be.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
a decent quality metric combination spanner set, up to 19mm with a pair of 24mm sidchrome/snapon quality combination spanners for suspension bolts (effin tight bolts you really need to swing off them).
A GOOD (Bahco) 8 inch and 12 inch shifter. the kind with reversible pipe wrench jaws. for odd sizes and to hold the bolt when undoing the nut.b they also double as hammers.
#2 philips.
a couple of different flat screwdrivers.
decent large pliers.
a set of radiator hoses and hose clamps live in the rear quarter panel. dont bother with the belts, theres 2 belts to keep the water pump turning.
I use a section of 19mm exterior structural plywood for a jack base, it doesnt slip as easily as a cutting board (drill a hole and put some telecom rope on the corner) Cut it to fit inside your tool box. I use a cheap galvanised steel one bolted through the floor with a section of old ratchet strap around it to hold the lid on in a crash. you can use the extra length in the strap to hold your water bottle in place.
Use a bit of diesel for CRC, crack the fuel filter drain and give it a pump. I don't like leaving spray cans in the car in summer.

A 15 litre plastic spring water bottle from the supermarket, I replace it regularly to keep it drinkable.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I never go on a trip without the hub spanner, a spare wheel bearing, wheel bearing grease, and associated tools to change a wheel bearing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts