Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings from Iceland :D

I'm in a search/rescue team, and we have a 2007 Patrol that has the ZD30 that died for the second time after only 22.000km (driven around 110.000km i think)

So we decided to change engine, and the engine we are planning on is a crate GM 4.8L 294 cid pickup engine
Along with Holley Terminator EFI.

The problem is what to do with the transmission...
Some people say that the original patrol auto is stronger than the GM but other say otherwise
I have been trying to find information on people using the ZD30 transm., but most just swap 4L60E or 4L80E

But i guess the most pain using the patrol transmission is the ecu, how are people handling that issue?

Do you have some good advises for us?

Note, this car has allot of extra equipment so it has gained some weight, and sometimes needs to drag 2 snowmobiles so there is allot of stress on the drivetrain...

·
Registered
nissan/swb gq
843 Posts
Mine is still running the Original 4spd Nissan auto that was behind the ZD30 ( 2001 model ) , your correct about the ECU being a problem , you can go to a stand alone ECU like a compushift II or do as I was recommended by the guy who built my auto and have it manualised and get rid of all the electronics all together . it was the cheapest option for me as the engine and Auto where already mounted together . the only draw back it you cant just put the Trans in "D" and drive , you must manually shift it through each gear .

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
16,098 Posts
Nice tyres. Lots of blokes on here would swap their left testicle for them. :D

·
Registered
nissan patrol
233 Posts
I am using the 4l60. I think it works fine for the patrol on its own. However I am getting a stronger trans built soon as I will be towing a camper trailer behind and want the extra reliability of knowing that it will handle the extra load.

·
Registered
nissan
194 Posts
the nissan trans is definatley the stronger of the two, a 4l60e will have trouble keeping the 3/4 clutch pack in one piece with the extra weight of the patrol.

·
Cruisin for a bruisin
1,732 Posts
I've got a 2007 patrol box behind my 6.5 chevy and she's done 100,000K no worries. Lots of towing and solid 4wd stuff in there as well

·
Registered
208 Posts
I've got a manual GQ box in my GU with the 4.5l VH45DE

·
Registered
NISSAN
365 Posts
If your only using a 4.8L LS engine wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to fit a 4.8 nissan engine ???

1 - 8 of 8 Posts