Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all
Just after some advice on what tyres I should get for my ute.

I run 33 inch Cooper ST's for daily driving and am currently running 35*11.5 Centipedes for off road duties.

I have notice the Simex's are wearing rapidly and chipping lugs as a lot of my offroad driving
is on steep rock hills as opposed to lots of mud.

Just wondering if there would be something else out there better suited to the conditions I drive, mainly around the Woods Point, Licola, Walhalla type areas.

I still want to keep the size 35 inch and still want something aggressive.

Thanks
Tim

·
Registered
nissan
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Forgot to mention that I was originally looking at creepy crawlers, trepadors, or something along those lines, so interested to hear your thoughts in those.

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
Forgot to mention that I was originally looking at creepy crawlers, trepadors, or something along those lines, so interested to hear your thoughts in those.
If your after a tough 35inch, the bias creepys are the best option out of those two as the 35 inch treps are radials only, you need 37s for the bias treps. I am running the creepys and rate them as tough AT as it works well in all terrains offroad and it still good onroad.
I don't know how well the creepys would go in the high country, I thought simex were the best option or bias treps.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Just wondering if there would be something else out there better suited to the conditions I drive, mainly around the Woods Point, Licola, Walhalla type areas.
I was originally looking at creepy crawlers, trepadors, or something along those lines, so interested to hear your thoughts in those.
Struggling to think of places in the high country you need really agressive tyres. BFG/MTR's have always done me for round Woods, Licola, etc.
I had a set of JT2's but they were a waste, when I was only one on trips that had them and realised nobody else was getting stuck.

·
Part of the furniture around here
nissan
19,131 Posts
We did a five day Cruise from Haunted Stream to Licola last weekend, via Dawson City, Dog's Grave, Messmate Spur to Camms Top Place, Bluerag, Buckland Valley, Wonangatta (Zeka), Licola. Conditions were a mix of mainly dry with some wet patches here and there. Of the six cars in the group, we had:

- three sets of Nankang Mudstars
- one set of Copper STTs
- one set of Goodyear Wranglers
- one set of Pirelli Scorpions

All did fine on some very rough and chewed out tracks along the way. Don't know if any suffered any tread loss. One thing I have noticed is that the Mudstars just don't seem to loose tread blocks like the MTRs that I and another used previously. Just about any sort of tyre will get you about depending on conditions. One thing I would not do is get soft compound tyres, or you'll be spitting tread bits everywhere and the tyres will look 10 years old after a few trips.

Cheers

Ray

1 - 6 of 6 Posts