Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a search and see there is a good thread that involves the 3l nissan.

I assume it's the same kit.

What's the best Kit to use. I want to install it pre turbo and come on at around 8-10psi and ramp up at 14-16 psi.

Is it worth doing - will not be running it all the time either.

Was looking at a devilsown.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
nissan patrol
3,946 Posts
Devils own would probably be one of the cheapest options.
Earls Aquamist would be the most expensive but probably the best.

I would personally choose a kit from Coolingmist.

Most kits have a progressive controller, and alot of kits have the option of large/small primary and secondary nozzles.
Get a custom tank made for larger capacity though, dont rely on the off the shelf ones fitting anywhere.

Also, dont worry to much about any of the fail safe items, they are designed for petrol engines being tuned with Water injection. When a blocked line or those kind of little faults can literally destroy the engine in seconds if the driver isnt warned.
With a diesel if you run out of water/meth or the line is blocked you simply dont generate the extra power or cooling it offers, instantly noticeable without any idiot lights coming up.

·
Registered
nissan gu
355 Posts
So if you only had low boost. Like I've only got 12 psi would there be any point in running a progressive system or would something like the stage 1 kit with a pressure switch set to switch at like 10 psi be enough.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,141 Posts
I can only give you info from what I have found when setting up mine. Yes you can spend a lot of coin buying a kit but I wanted something a little different for my needs so mines a bitsa.
I have the variable controller from devils own and their 300 psi pump, I have the coolingmist nozzles and one solenoid from devilsown and one from coolingmist.
The one from coolingmist has been a pain in the ar s, had it changed but still have the problem, it dribbles, the devilsown I have had no trouble at all.
I run filters on each nozzle and one before each solenoid, I run all hydraulic fittings and hoses so no leaks.
I run the the pressures at, start 8psi to max 12psi for intake manifold, the pre turbo is set at 10psi straight on but this only comes on when EGT reaches 500deg and the boost is 10psi or above. It has its own 250psi Devilsown pump making sure it gets fine mist.
I am happy with my setup but it has taken me about two years to get it the way I want.
Mainly because I keep changing things and then need to adjust setup to suit.

cheers DD

·
Premium Member
nissan patrol
3,946 Posts
I wouldnt expect any change out of $1500 if you were to pay a shop to supply/fit/tune the setup mate.

Even if you are running only 12psi the progressive kit is still advantageous. You will be cruising at probably 4-5 psi, and dont want it on until at least 8.
If you set a one stage kit to maximium flow at 8 it would be to much, or set it up for 12psi it wouldnt be enough etc...

There isnt a huge price difference with the progressive controller so I would call it mandatory for the average Patrol owners needs.

·
Registered
357 Posts
It's something I'm really interested in. Anybody running it with a ufi 18g and dc6 pump. How are people controlling them with these setups spooling so quick? Can the kits be controlled via egt and boost, so say doesn't come on until egt's are at 350 and boost at 10.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,141 Posts
Shy304, that can be done which is how mine is but I use two auber gauges for that, they turn on the pre turbo nozzle.

cheers DD.

·
Premium Member
nissan patrol
3,946 Posts
Start small and work your way up in nozzle size. You will know when you hit the limit lol the combustion will quench and not fire properly sounding like a bit of a death rattle.

As for big pumps.... You want to tune it to suit the pump. Remember that the methanol is an additional fuel. Yes the mixture can reduce the egt's, but you dont want it to be running stupidly rich with the meth on and a big pump full tilt.

Its easy enough to bring the pump back a little bit and use the WM injection for the additional power and egt control.

Good level to be at is around 18:1 fuel ratio if you are trying to make big power, but it wont hold that for long before becoming very hot.
If your tuning for maximum reliability, you want it at least 20:1... 22:1 even better.

·
Registered
nissan
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Start small and work your way up in nozzle size. You will know when you hit the limit lol the combustion will quench and not fire properly sounding like a bit of a death rattle.

As for big pumps.... You want to tune it to suit the pump. Remember that the methanol is an additional fuel. Yes the mixture can reduce the egt's, but you dont want it to be running stupidly rich with the meth on and a big pump full tilt.

Its easy enough to bring the pump back a little bit and use the WM injection for the additional power and egt control.

Good level to be at is around 18:1 fuel ratio if you are trying to make big power, but it wont hold that for long before becoming very hot.
If your tuning for maximum reliability, you want it at least 20:1... 22:1 even better.

Thanks for the info mate. Not looking at big HP, still running my GU NA pump.
Just looking for a bit more power when I need it. Will not be using Meth all the time too either.

Will set it up and dyno it. Hopefully by then I will a new pump and injectors.

Cheers

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,090 Posts
Dam355,
It's well worth doing. Best bank for your buck mod in my opinion.
Here's a thread on my setup with DevilsOwn.
http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/engine-drivetrain-55/td42t-water-meth-injection-dyno-results-81047/

With meth on my TD42T puts out 117rwkw with a non-intercooled HT18.

Like DT said - put the biggest W/M tank in that you can fit.
I'm happy with DO but like the look of the CoolingMist Controller better.
If I did it again I would also research using an Eboost2 to control the W/M.

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Dirtdevil, would love to have a look at your setup one day if possible. I'm from southern suburbs of Adelaide.

Diesel tuner, I have about 175rwkw but have found my egt's to sit a little high for my liking when towing on the freeway. I have spoken to my tuner about possibly pulling a little fuel out as I think it is overfuelling a tad. I don't necessarily want to pull more power, I'm pretty happy where it's at just want to keep things under control. My theory is also by keeping intake and egt's down, it should help with engine temps a little too.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,090 Posts
Dirtdevil, would love to have a look at your setup one day if possible. I'm from southern suburbs of Adelaide.

Diesel tuner, I have about 175rwkw but have found my egt's to sit a little high for my liking when towing on the freeway. I have spoken to my tuner about possibly pulling a little fuel out as I think it is overfuelling a tad. I don't necessarily want to pull more power, I'm pretty happy where it's at just want to keep things under control. My theory is also by keeping intake and egt's down, it should help with engine temps a little too.
You will need to inject quite a bit of W/M to constantly reduce EGTs while towing.
You will need a very large tank as it will be injecting all the time.
As am example of fluid usage - the last time I was towing a tandem trailer full of firewood I was running the W/M at an aggressive setting (with spirited driving) - it used 4 litres in 52 k's.

·
Premium Member
nissan patrol
3,946 Posts
I would honestly have it setup so the egt's were well under control when towing on a flat road and would only ever want the system coming on for up hill sections or overtaking.

Having the system running on a flat road just to keep egt's down is going to be cost prohibitive for a start, and a bit of a pain in the bum long term.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts