Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I am sick of paying business's to weld stuff up for me, so I thought it would eventually pay for itself if I brought a Mig welder.. It will be mainly for general around the house stuff and welding stuff onto my plant trailer, but I want a welder that is quite capable as I hope it will do me for a very long time..

I have looked at the CEA Smartmig M20, are there any other ones that anyone would recommend or suggest?
Thanks
Dan

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
What's your budget?

I've seen a few blokes say that the Lincoln range are rippers, and have decently priced machines at $1,200ish.

I recently scored a Migweld 160 in a raffle (They stock them at Bunnings), so far I've only been using gasless wire, and I've never welded before, but things are staying together, though I'm going to do a welding course at TAFE before I start fabbing anything up for the shorty :p
Should probably add, now that BeNos has posted, if I had the chance I'd skip buying this welder. For free the price is right, but for ~$900 it does feel pretty budget in overall construction, and it'll be interesting to see how it handles when I get gas through it (That's one bonus - It's a gas/gasless unit)

Oh yeah, another tip I've seen around the place is to get a welder bigger than you expect to need, because given time, you'll come across a job that needs that extra power.

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
i got an old unimig craft 180 and seems to be going pretty well so far. welds 6mm stuff togeather pretty well. the biggest thing and im still learning is setting them up. and make sure you get something with good wire and power adjustment as the ones with just buttons and switches just dont cut it.

·
The Bear
2,413 Posts
Got a few mates bought those ozitto 140 amp gasless migs from bunnings, very happy with them.

i bought an little inverter tig/stick for stainless from Trade Tools, very happy with it too, nice and light, does great welds, easily adjustable output, comes in a nice easy carry briefcase. runs on 10 amp plug no worries, run it off the Honda inverter gen set no probs, makes it a very useful tool.

·
Registered
125 Posts
if it was me , i would go for the biggest 240 v machine i could find. bigger wont do you any harm. if you can afford it get a separate wire feed unit. gives you more mobility
visit your local welding supplies shop. chat to everyone. try them out and dont rush into it

·
Registered
97 Posts
Just remember that the cheap ones some times dont have the back up and after sales service and getting tips or new liners/spare parts can be hard. I have a Lincoln 180 and it'll do everthing you could want it to it the garage, 15amp plug though.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the replies, I think I will go with the CEA Smartmig 120 from the local weldshop..they are european made and they always have spare parts in stock and he the service is good.. $1,395 seems reasonable

·
Registered
172 Posts
Mig o Mag , ESSETI , Lincon , CIGWELD , IIG , UNIMIG all good brands, however different modes different years some are good some not so. Are you after a 250 amp heavy duty (15 amp feed) strong capable machine with good weld penetration , lots of fine controls , ability to spot weld , etc etc or a home workshop job that can weld up some RHS or a bit of plate do car rust repairs with basic easy to use controls (power & wire speed only) rated at maybe 150 or 180 amps (normal 10 amp feed) as there is a world of difference. There is also a world of price difference. You will also need a gas supplier (Lind or BOC) and then a good mask gloves etc etc.....
Decisions decisions!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Since Dan's question has been answered and it's a related topic:
I've got a faily decent arc welder for the big stuff, but I need something that is good for panel work.
I've used a gasless mig and frankly you can stick them. (bad welding pun intended)
The splatter makes too much mess. I'd rather fork out the money for gas, whether in disposable tins or rental.
so... which Small mig with argon? which small mig with CO2? Oxy/propane? Oxy/acetylene?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts