Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, easy question that i would like some advice on.

So i can do one upgrade before my trip later in the year to Lake Eyre possibly across the Simpson with my 2014 GU Dx Ute.
Currently have OEM intercooler and OEM exhaust.
Which one should i upgrade before i go? I would like to
- Reduce EGTs
- Increase power

I currently have high EGTs. I am about to install a Tillix boost valve. I can afford one more upgrade before i go, just can't work out which would be better.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,668 Posts
Unless the intercooler is leaking I would get the Exhaust.
The Tillix will reduce overall EGTs and increase power. The 3" exhaust will fix a restrictive OEM system and give you more power. No point shoving more air in there if you can't get it out.
Once you get back from the trip you can save up for a reasonable intercooler.

I like shiny stuff

·
Registered
2013 GU9 Y61 ST plus limited edition
76 Posts
Ok, easy question that i would like some advice on.

So i can do one upgrade before my trip later in the year to Lake Eyre possibly across the Simpson with my 2014 GU Dx Ute.

Currently have OEM intercooler and OEM exhaust.

Which one should i upgrade before i go? I would like to

- Reduce EGTs

- Increase power

I currently have high EGTs. I am about to install a Tillix boost valve. I can afford one more upgrade before i go, just can't work out which would be better.

Thanks
Hey mate,

If you got the tillix in the mail, and assuming you already have boost/egt gauges, I'd definitely be going for the exhaust. Either a 2.75 or 3 inch. Get rid of those gasses quicker and a bit more low down torque.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Reactions: ChadGu

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey mate,

If you got the tillix in the mail, and assuming you already have boost/egt gauges, I'd definitely be going for the exhaust. Either a 2.75 or 3 inch. Get rid of those gasses quicker and a bit more low down torque.

Thanks for the concise reply.
I have noticed a few of the 3" exhausts for sale have a small piece of standard size pipe directly from the turbo then increase to 3"? i imagine this are a bit restricted?
Also i don't want too much noise, so should i get one with a CAT no muffler or Muffler no CAT?

Thanks

·
Registered
2013 GU9 Y61 ST plus limited edition
76 Posts
Yeah they butt up to the back of the turbo and expand to 3" from there.

Its all personal preference really, I went with the 4wd supacentre stainless one. I got a high flow cat and high flow muffler, I would recommend getting the cat to save you a defect. They do restrict the flow a little but at the end of the day, it's still a huge improvement and doesn't drone down the highway.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Thanks for the concise reply.
I have noticed a few of the 3" exhausts for sale have a small piece of standard size pipe directly from the turbo then increase to 3"? i imagine this are a bit restricted?
Also i don't want too much noise, so should i get one with a CAT no muffler or Muffler no CAT?

Thanks
I would do the exhaust too. A bigger intercooler with a standard exhaust is not going to make much difference to either power or EGT's.

Factory CAT's are usually 300 CPI (cells per inch), the aftermarket ones are usually 200 or 100 CPI so that with the larger internal diameter will mean you have better flow still. Not really worth the potential fines if you get caught. Muffler is personal preference but the difference in performance between a good free flow muffler and no muffler is also not that great. Depends on how you feel about that open sound on a trip for hours on end.

Bear in mind too, that even if it is not overly loud without a muffler it is still a defect situation to have an exhaust that doesn't have a muffler if the vehicle originally had one. again personal choice whether you care about that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts