Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as the second owner of an 07 gu 3.0lt with 70k, the factory warranty has just run out. i've had fitted a nissan bar and snorkel from dealer. got a call from dealer today offering the extended 3yr factory warranty for $1400 big ones. informed dealer that they've only my details and car details from fitting of bar and snorkel.... they still offer ext warranty. i've bigger exhaust, tinkered with susp, fitted bigger intercooler and added the typical dawes valve, catch can and blocked egr. didn't tell them that:rolleyes: woops. my worry is that if during extended warranty period, i'm paying bick bickies for, that in the unfortunate event something does go pear shaped they wont come to the party? hence, has anyone been thru this or any advice would be appreciated.......

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
extended warranty seems a lottery to me.. some people have everything fixed no questions.... others are out on their arse

·
Registered
Nissan
528 Posts
Be careful about whos warranty is being offered. Dealer extended warranties are completely worthless, however manufacturers extended warranties are normally an extension of the normal warranty and so cover everything. Given the problems with the 3L engines and fuel pumps it might be worth considering, just check what it covers.

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
07 GU here and second owner as well, similar K's and as it's an extended manuf warranty so I bought it months ago ($1300) as a no brainer. Given the cost of ZD30 Turbo's, CRD Injectors, Fuel Pumps etc etc it works out at just over $400 a year. Already had some work done (Satnav replaced) no questions asked so that has almost covered it already.

There's a few threads on here recently and Nizzbits has mentioned he might be able to get it cheaper.

My only concern in your case would be the dawes and EGR mods. I pull my Chip off before a major service ... the 3 inch system and intercooler fan stay on. Only thing I have been knocked back on was a broken dump pipe flange but that was after market so fair enough :cool:

·
Registered
189 Posts
They have a range of extended warranties.
Extra time, up to three years.
Extra distance, up to 50,000 I think.
Extra time and distance.
They all cost different amounts, I was quoted $1125 for two years extra with 50,000k extra, they will possibly discount the price. T..hey did for me as compensation for stuffing me around.

·
Registered
nissan
16 Posts
Depends on the dealer in my experience
Good dealers are more likely to honour the warranty and even if it's not covered, they're more likely to give you a fair deal.
The other dealers though ...

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Run out

In your first post you say the warranty has just run out. If it is out of warranty (even by a day) they won't be able to sell you a genuien Nissan warranty anyway so might make your decision for you.
If it is still in warranty I can save you about $150 on that price if you want one.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Seems as you aren't sure either way, can't you just lay your cards on the table, tell him all your mods and then ask if you can still have the warranty.
I'm just thinking that it's best to have a 'no' now than if/when you try to use it after spending the cash.
IMHO, a warranty should be for piece of mind and you won't have that if you are worried about it's validity.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hey cheers from all as far, good advice with differing opinions. hey nizzbits, the ext warranty you offer is that still good with mods done to vehicle and how would that work with you in melb? i'm in radelaide. sorry if that sounds stupid but never had to worry about warranty issues before. :doh:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts