Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 2003 ZD-30 DI Patrol has started to make bubbling sounds at the coolant reservoir & I'm needing to top up the coolant when it's cold. Not being a mechanic what's possible going on so I can tell a mechanic. Engine has done 325,000 km Thanks guys.

·
Registered
nissan
471 Posts
If the original engine untouched you have had a good run. I would be getting a pressure test as if you are losing water and you can hear and see bubbling when you stop it sounds like the head is going. Better to catch it early but wont be a cheap fix.....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply, Any idea as a rough guide to the cost of repair or is it time to kiss it on both headlights & send it away. :eek:

·
Registered
nissan
471 Posts
Thanks for the reply, Any idea as a rough guide to the cost of repair or is it time to kiss it on both headlights & send it away. :eek:
All depends where you are located and if you are good on the tools or need to get someone to do it for you

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm okay on simple four cylinder petrol engines but never tackled a ZD30, Not sure I have the tools fully for the job. Having a read on my Haynes Service manual for this job. Have had rough quote from $3k to $6k depending on the Head's condition.

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
15,551 Posts

·
Registered
07 Black Patrol 3.0 / 04 Grey 3.0 Patrol / 01 3.0 Patrol
1,543 Posts
Just finished mine, easy enough but a few areas where it's an absolute pig🙈 the rear of the head has a complex of EGR pipes and a head drain.
I had a tough job with that part but once you do it once you know the score then.
Mine is just finished today and running sweet 😉👌
The problem with doing the head is lack of room. It would be a much easier job with engine out!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Reading a thread on here a discovery was made. My Patrol has a Non Genuine Radiator fitted recently & the original radiator cap went with the old radiator. The cap on the radiator now is a pressure type & not the Genuine Nissan Patrol GU Non Pressure Radiator Cap ZD30ddti RD28ti TD42ti Engine type. I'm going to replace this cap tomorrow to see if it stops the bubbling as the other post described my issue exactly and with the right cap fitted stopped the bubbling.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
You might be lucky so!! How many mechanics fail to put these caps on the right way around 🙈
If the caps don't cure it be sure to get head off fast to change head gasket because like I did if driven for too long it will crack head later on too.

Reactions: Bunnybuster

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I've start dismantling the motor & everything noted, bagged & jpeged. At this stage I'm now ready to remove the Intake & exhaust manifolds. I can say it's really nice to get down & dirty again, It's been a long tome since I pulled a engine down. This is my first diesel but so far no nasty surprises.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Just do yourself a favor and when tightening on the cam sprocket to do the timing use a spanner!! So many people make the mistake of putting the dowel pin under too much strain when retightening the bolt and they don't hold the cam so the pressure goes to the dowel pin on the camshaft. The consequence of this is a snapped gear later on and valve/ head / piston damage,😉
Just a friendly tip🙂

1 - 12 of 12 Posts