Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys
This has probably already been posted some where on this forum but having to search it all to find it seems like a pain in the arse lol I've just bought a 95 GQ Ute with a blacktop non turbo 4.2 in it which I plan to put in my 99 2.8 GU obviously the GU is alot heaver so im thinking of putting a turbo kit on it. Question Is what needs doing to the standard motor to fit a turbo?? I'm not real familiar with patrols yet as I've been a Suzuki girl all my life so still learning hence why I joined this forum to get tips an help along the way 馃 thanks guys!

Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
Have you actually tried a search? Your correct, this has been addressed many times, with people putting a lot of time into their replies, you can do an advanced search as well,

Registered
nissan
^^ As stated above, there is literally 1000 threads on this ..
Anyway, Basics you need to know : Gq 4.2 into GU rd28 is probably a bit more involved in than you think so make sure you have a plan. Engine mount adapter, wiring , Intercooler, cooling system differences, the gq box actually sits in a different position possibly accelerator cable.. list goes on!
The main things you will need: a turbo manifold, obviously a turbo , ht18(factory Gu 4.2 turbo)works great but if you are after more power maybe explore other options. You will need to run an oil feed line and modify the sump to accept an oil drain, you can also run coolant lines depends on set up . you will also need a dump pipe for the turbo + modify the exhaust system on the Gu.
I鈥檓 sure I鈥檝e missed heaps but just some basics for you to have a think about, don鈥檛 forget once it鈥檚 all done to take it to a reputable tuner and get them to tune the new set up. Some good videos on YT These days regarding turboing a td42 , but the threads on this forum should really give you more than enough info

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Have you actually tried a search? Your correct, this has been addressed many times, with people putting a lot of time into their replies, you can do an advanced search as well,
Yes I've tried advanced searching but hadn't found what I was looking for yet hence why I posted but I'll have a look through it all again

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
^^ As stated above, there is literally 1000 threads on this ..
Anyway, Basics you need to know : Gq 4.2 into GU rd28 is probably a bit more involved in than you think so make sure you have a plan. Engine mount adapter, wiring , Intercooler, cooling system differences, the gq box actually sits in a different position possibly accelerator cable.. list goes on!
The main things you will need: a turbo manifold, obviously a turbo , ht18(factory Gu 4.2 turbo)works great but if you are after more power maybe explore other options. You will need to run an oil feed line and modify the sump to accept an oil drain, you can also run coolant lines depends on set up . you will also need a dump pipe for the turbo + modify the exhaust system on the Gu.
I鈥檓 sure I鈥檝e missed heaps but just some basics for you to have a think about, don鈥檛 forget once it鈥檚 all done to take it to a reputable tuner and get them to tune the new set up. Some good videos on YT These days regarding turboing a td42 , but the threads on this forum should really give you more than enough info
Thanks I know I have to get a different gearbox as the 2.8 won't suit and the GQ one could fit but to much work to make it fit so will be looking for the right gearbox. I'm just after factory turbos don't need heaps of power just a bit more then the non turbo could offer. This is the plan in the next 12 month's so just doing the research now

LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
If you're going to go to the trouble of an engine swap I'd seriously consider putting an auto behind it. The CRD 4-speed is adequate but PJs Offroad is making adapters to fit a ZF six-speed to the TD42 and that's what I'd be going with.

Registered
nissan
If you're going to go to the trouble of an engine swap I'd seriously consider putting an auto behind it. The CRD 4-speed is adequate but PJs Offroad is making adapters to fit a ZF six-speed to the TD42 and that's what I'd be going with.
Isn't the adapter to allow the fitment of the transfer case to the ZF during conversions???
Not just Nissan as far as I have seen.
Putting the ZF behind the TD for example opens a whole new can of worms as far as gearbox control goes among other things.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts