Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
555 Posts
I want to convert mine to manual
But in saying that I dont find much wrong with it apart from it constantly going in and out of overdrive when around the 80kph mark
4wd is nice with an auto tho

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
1,045 Posts
Love the auto, only bad thing is engine breaking. Much smoother when 4 wheeling,no loss of traction, no mud can get it, beautiful
Just rebuild cost is high...Might convert but only when it dies and cause it will be cheaper not because I don't like it.
Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
nissan
239 Posts
Auto is sooooooooo much better but you gotta get a decent valvebody in it..... I'm running an auto behind a turbo LS1 and it's holding up........ Mine has a full manual valvebody though

Just make sure you have decent coolers on it!

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
just wondering what people think of there auto GQ??
iv just picked up a cheap tb42e GQ with a auto in her
and was thinking about converting to manual!!! should i??
Hell No... What on earth for...

Absolutely luv'd my TB42 EFI Auto when I had her, did nearly 100,000 K's before I sold her off.

Fit a Torque converter Lock up Switch and maybe an upgraded valve body, learn the techniques for an Auto and she'll be an absolute pleasure to drive offroad.

·
Registered
nissan
555 Posts
Auto is sooooooooo much better but you gotta get a decent valvebody in it..... I'm running an auto behind a turbo LS1 and it's holding up........ Mine has a full manual valvebody though

Just make sure you have decent coolers on it!
Yeh Im getting worried as I my centre console and to the side of the footwell where the gear shifter is and that is just like radiating heat...
Is there a way to upgrade the cooling system on the auto box?

·
Slow, Rough and Expensive
1,137 Posts
Hell No... What on earth for...

Absolutely luv'd my TB42 EFI Auto when I had her, did nearly 100,000 K's before I sold her off.

Fit a Torque converter Lock up Switch and maybe an upgraded valve body, learn the techniques for an Auto and she'll be an absolute pleasure to drive offroad.
I agree 10000%:D

·
Registered
nissan
308 Posts
This auto is very tuff, OD shifting in and out at highway speeds can be fixed with the touch of a button, this is only needed when towing or loaded with all ya gear . The auto also is elect controlled and has a hold function for 2nd gear... great for sand starts or mud .

·
Slow But Reliable
nissan gq patrol
527 Posts
Keep the auto, much better on and off road. Just learn how to drive through the brakes when going down hill, take it easy and don't be in a rush, and everything SHOULD be ok.

·
Registered
nissan
2,694 Posts
With the auto in 1st or 2nd and in low range, it's excellent down hill. Just get a lock up switch fitted, can use it locked in 2nd and 3rd as well as overdrive, makes for a great selection of gearing.

·
Registered
nissan
203 Posts
I had a 92 GQ TB42i auto and loved it EXCEPT when I was towing my camper or anything else of any weight. There seemed to be an issue with the kick down up hills. It just kept losing revs - something to do with the Fuel Injection settings I was told. All the semi trailers I had just passed were overtaking me again (or getting cranky if there was no overtaking lane). I wasn't in the forum then so I couldn't ask people like Evil Twin about torque converters and lock up switches. Maybe there was a solution.

·
Registered
nissan
2,686 Posts
Youve got 99% of the ppl here telling you the Auto is better and your still confused?

I would suggest taking her offroad and driving her for a few trips to see how it handles and see if you like it.
I LOVE my Auto and will always get an Auto 4wd, simple. Advantages are just waaaaaaaaaaaaaay to much over the manual.

If it isnt broken, dont fix it....

Give it a chance. I used to think manual was the shiz, but not now. I always recommend Auto.

·
Registered
nissan
254 Posts
Yeh Im getting worried as I my centre console and to the side of the footwell where the gear shifter is and that is just like radiating heat...
Is there a way to upgrade the cooling system on the auto box?
I had a very very hot console around 4wd selector also had air con cutting out towing up hills, got new atrad radiator, (same as factory) new GENUINE viscous hub and thermostat and now not hot at all, Patrol done 124,000, I did have the radiator rodded before new one, was ok for a while. i recon intsead of rodding just replace the bastard. Have not taken caravan away since, will report back then, cheers Rod

·
Registered
543 Posts
I had a 92 GQ TB42i auto and loved it EXCEPT when I was towing my camper or anything else of any weight. There seemed to be an issue with the kick down up hills. It just kept losing revs - something to do with the Fuel Injection settings I was told. All the semi trailers I had just passed were overtaking me again (or getting cranky if there was no overtaking lane). I wasn't in the forum then so I couldn't ask people like Evil Twin about torque converters and lock up switches. Maybe there was a solution.
That is easy just lock out overdrive or pull it back to second manually. Mine wouldn't drop out of overdrive till it went under 80kmph which was a PITA, So I did it manually.
Have since done manual conversion.

·
Registered
nissan
203 Posts
Nah, selecting manually didn't work. It didn't matter what I did, the fuel injection just wouldn't give it enough fuel up hills with a heavy trailer. And it always used way more fuel than my old 90 manual carby TB42. So I sold the auto and I went back to using the manual because I knew that when I put my foot down the carby would pour as much fuel as I needed into the system. I think the auto would have been great on gas as long as I wasn't towing but for my needs it was the right choice.
As far as keeping the auto fluid cool I have always had an automatic transmission cooler on any automatic vehicles I've used for towing. Well ever since I burnt out the auto in my HR holden towing car trailers around.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts