Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan patrol gu dx
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the best and what gets u the most power??? Thanks guys any help would be great

·
Registered
nissan patrol
449 Posts
Haha, this has been done so many times. Try using the 'search' function mate.

·
Registered
nissan patrol GU
307 Posts
I hear one of those 4.2TD things go nicely in those ;)

Seriously tho, There is a chip which we all jumped on for our 2.8's and they have 3lt ones as well

The thread is here. http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/nissan-patrol-gu-gr-10/gu-diesel-chip-57696/

I hope this helps! Oh and in regards to the exhaust, Ebay and 3inch mandrel bent.. $800ish?

Dont get talked into anything smaller, its a turbo and doesnt need the back pressure of a 2.5inch ;)

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,215 Posts
I have a Safari DTronic and a 2 3/4" Beaudesert on my DI, the combination works bloody marvelously, the DTronic is no longer available, but I hear good things re Steinbauer, which is the way I will go if the DTronic fails..

But do a search there is heaps of info and it's good practice for you.

·
Registered
nissan patrol GU
307 Posts
As far as from an electronic perspective, a chip is a chip, All it is is a variable resistor, so in the past there was no other option but to spend $1000+ on steinbuer, DC chip etc... but they all made from the same parts and these Italian ones for $150 to $200 is just as good. ;)

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,215 Posts
As far as from an electronic perspective, a chip is a chip, All it is is a variable resistor, so in the past there was no other option but to spend $1000+ on steinbuer, DC chip etc... but they all made from the same parts and these Italian ones for $150 to $200 is just as good. ;)
Someone may take me to task on this (and I'm not saying the ones you refer to are like this) but I would think there are still some chips out there that don't do much more than over fuel you, this is where you may need to be careful.

·
Banned
nissan
261 Posts
I have heard this theory, but is this proven or still mere theory? If you can show us where the evidence for your strongly stated knowledge is found that would be helpful. I am yet to be convinced that all chips are the same and made from the same parts. Similar maybe? but same is a strong assertion me thinks:D

Also, fluffmuncher, is it actually true that a chip from donator is now available for Di motor? last I checked it was not.

·
Banned
nissan
261 Posts
Haha, this has been done so many times. Try using the 'search' function mate.
Go easy indeed, I reckon this is a bloody fine question for us who dont have either yet. ;-)

·
builder not a buyer!
nissan
2,702 Posts
Go easy indeed, I reckon this is a bloody fine question for us who dont have either yet. ;-)
x2 ive just got my 3" scotts rods system on and still in the market for a chip so this thread will be helpful for me....

im keen to chip away but dont want to spend top dollar if a lower price model will give me the same benefits and after sales service

cheerio

·
Registered
nissan gu3 2001
349 Posts
I have a scotts 3" exhaust and a TUNIT chip, dyno results 108kw 348nm. The Chip gave me an extra 10kw and 50nm of torque.

·
Registered
Nissan GU MY07
83 Posts
4wd Action mag issue 152 did a chip comparo some time ago. There are some intresting figures in there that say different!

·
builder not a buyer!
nissan
2,702 Posts
I have a scotts 3" exhaust and a TUNIT chip, dyno results 108kw 348nm. The Chip gave me an extra 10kw and 50nm of torque.
gday again mate, have you had the chip on long? diy install or did you get a workshop to install?

any dramas since install? how did affect your fuel figures?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
nissan gu3 2001
349 Posts
gday again mate, have you had the chip on long? diy install or did you get a workshop to install?

any dramas since install? how did affect your fuel figures?

thanks in advance
Hi there, I had the chip for about two years, got it second hand from my neighbors car very cheap. Not sure how long he had it before me, but not a issue as far...It wasnt a DIY it needed to be wired into the loom and a wire on the pump somewhere. Where i saved on the module it cost me $500 for it to be fitted and Dynoed.
I havent ever been to anal about fuel figures but times i have checked it was around 13lt/100 unloaded around city. At end of the day I only got it coz it was right place at right time.

·
Registered
nissan patrol GU
307 Posts
They all carry the same therory as far as chips are concerned, My knowledge comes from doing electronics as part of my systems engineering degree back many moons ago.

The one that simply just overfuel are non adjustable right? The therory is, what chips in diesels do is take the power that is sent to the diesel pump and alter it to either run leaner or richer, therefore giving more capability to tune it. So if you had the knowledge, you could build this unit for about $50 of parts from jaycar, I personally didnt because I didnt want to cross the wrong wire or whatever and blow my pump. But if you open up a dominator chip and open an expensive chip, it would be the same, maybe a couple of extra capacitors or transistors but would be the same.

There is only one way you could really alter the power going to the injector pump and that is using a varible resistor so whichever way the different companies want to wire up there boxes, they would all be a varible resistor.

Does that make sense? ;)

Also here are the ones for the 3lt Patrol 3.0 : Donatorstore SpeedBox - Donator Diesel Tuning, Centraline aggiuntive per i motori diesel e benzina

·
Registered
Nissan CRD
893 Posts
How deep are your pockets? What budget are you playing with? This makes a difference to the exhaust.

Scott Rods 3" exhausts are A1, you get a good one at a good price.
The Chip comes down to personal preference, bang for buck and who convinces you most.
Get something that is invisible (leaves no footprint) once taken off if under warranty still.

As someone once said (Truckster) everyone will recommend what they are running.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts