Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol mq
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey
as the title says what's the best and easiest way to remove just the transfer case, pics would be awesome. thanks

·
Registered
nissan
127 Posts
Get a mate to come round and sit there drinking beer while you watch him do it.... Sorry bud couldn't help myself. Id give you a hand but away at work at the moment.

·
Registered
nissan patrol mq
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ha ha yer that would be good. thanks any way

·
Registered
nissan
1,339 Posts
Guess it depends on your tools.
I'd say drop the gearbox and take it off when you have room to move.

·
Registered
nissan patrol mq
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
awesome thanks lordbug

·
Registered
nissan
1,234 Posts
yep, ya cant split the transfer from tranny while in there. the box is a heavy PITA, we put an engine crane in through the passenger side door to lower the box.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
some bloke just the other day said he removed the transfer from the gearbox with it still in the car MK nut. crazy lol :crazy:

i would just get under the car and pull it out. pretty easy, take driveshafts off, remove wiring and cables (speedo + handbrake), from the cab you can remove gearsticks (pull up carpet and you can unbolt a floor plate to get access), then remove the bellhousing bolts and drop it. 1 decent jack and 2 people you will get it done.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Just dont be under it when you drop it - these are heavy

·
Registered
nissan
153 Posts
some bloke just the other day said he removed the transfer from the gearbox with it still in the car MK nut. crazy lol :crazy:

i would just get under the car and pull it out. pretty easy, take driveshafts off, remove wiring and cables (speedo + handbrake), from the cab you can remove gearsticks (pull up carpet and you can unbolt a floor plate to get access), then remove the bellhousing bolts and drop it. 1 decent jack and 2 people you will get it done.
I would of been crazier to drop a box and transfer i have no hope of lifting back in my self and I have no one to help me.

It was easier to remove the transfer, drop the drive shafts, take off hand brake, remove the gearbox mounts to let the box and transfer drop down.

Then dissasemble as described in the manual to remove from the gear box, the only real hard part was getting all the bolts to remove the top cover.

The transfer needs to be dissassembled partly to get the stupid 3 bolts inside it holding it to the gear box.

Once you drop the back of the gearbox/transfer down and remove the top cover there is plenty of room to work.

Hoping to have all the bearings for the transfer next weekend and if your lucky and I remember I will take some pics of the reassembly

·
Registered
nissan patrol mq
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
that would be awesome nemo. thabks

·
Premium Member
nissan
7,124 Posts
so it can be done wthout removing gearbox?
Removing the TX from the gearbox in the car is not without its problems but if you don't have a trolley jack, or better still a hoist and transmission stand, then removing the TX first is pretty much the only way you can manage the weight of the gearbox if you need to pull it out. This requires partial disassembly of the TX so that you can get to the top bolts holding it to the gearbox.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Removing the TX from the gearbox in the car is not without its problems but if you don't have a trolley jack, or better still a hoist and transmission stand, then removing the TX first is pretty much the only way you can manage the weight of the gearbox if you need to pull it out. This requires partial disassembly of the TX so that you can get to the top bolts holding it to the gearbox.
cheers i have done most of the work i have removed back inspection cover now i can see geabox shaft so i have removed split pin, so i have removed all bolts except top one , so now do i remove big nut on gearbox shaft and remove cog so i can split box to remove top bolt?

·
Registered
nissan
570 Posts
cheers i have done most of the work i have removed back inspection cover now i can see geabox shaft so i have removed split pin, so i have removed all bolts except top one , so now do i remove big nut on gearbox shaft and remove cog so i can split box to remove top bolt?
How did you go? I am thinking of doing it this way as well, wayyyyyy too heavy for me, getting it back in straight is my main concern. cheers Lana

1 - 15 of 15 Posts