Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys. im thinking bout getting a gu. what is the best motor to get? and the 2.8s how there fair bit cheaper, are they still any good for 4wding? will be getting 35s or bigger on it and barwork front back and sides.

·
Registered
173 Posts
probably stick to the 4.2td or the 3ltr grenade mate, or if you like to spends heaps on fuel then the petrols are nearly unbreakable aswell

cheers luke

·
Registered
nissan patrol
587 Posts
Depends what you're using it for. I have a 2.8, and even with a stuffed injector pump/injectors, i can still spin 33's fine with a stock motor. I love it, considering how i've driven it since i've owned it it's held up fine. Alot of other members on here love their 2.8 and can apparently spin 35's, and with chip/exhaust and a little more boost a 2.8 should pull all the bar work and gear just fine.

3.0l are a bit quicker, but have a tendancy to go bang, apparently. But in my opinion so does every other motor if you treat it wrong. Whichever motor you choose make sure it has a good service history, and receipts for any work that the seller claims to have done.

For heavy towing though, i'd go a 4.2 if you can afford it. All round a more reliable motor, and from what i've read on here, cheaper and easier to modify.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Yeah 2.8 if you wanna save some money and still get the enjoyment. Just have to do the exhaust, chip, block EGR, gauges and a little boost, K&N filter and snorkel ect... and then you will be okay with 35,s but don't be in a real hurry to get anywhere.

I had one before this new recent 4.2TD i just got and had 35,s with reduction gears, its sweet offroad, all you need really... :D

Enjoy, Patrols rule!!

·
Registered
757 Posts
whatever you end up getting make sure it got a good service history and it will save you money in the long run.

Altough i love my 2.8 if u plan on keeping it for a while they are getting quite old now(last made in 1999) so you want one that has been looked after.

Can i suggest you buy the newest one you can afford

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol Y-61
967 Posts
and the behavior of the 3-liter engines with Common Rail ?
they also break down as usual 3 liters or more work ?
We in Russia do not deliver patrols Common Rail and we know nothing about their work

·
Registered
757 Posts
i dont think the 3 litres is any more unreliable than any other engine. There are plenty of other car manufactures out there who have engine issues. Nissan people seem to talk about there engine failures a lot more than a Toyota owner does.

·
Registered
67 Posts
whats the best GU engine..
1. 4.2 turbo and non-turbo diesel
2. 4.8 petrol
3. 4.5 petrol
4. 2.8 turbo diesel
5. 3.0 turbo diesel

Reliablity, strength, durability wise this has been put 1-5.:p

·
Registered
Nissan
1,671 Posts
whats the best GU engine..
1. 4.2 turbo and non-turbo diesel
2. 4.8 petrol
3. 4.5 petrol
4. 2.8 turbo diesel
5. 3.0 turbo diesel

Reliablity, strength, durability wise this has been put 1-5.:p
Are you trying to start an argument? Use the search function. You should find enough info there.

·
Registered
GU Patrol Wagon Series 1
774 Posts
ha ha i wasnt going to say anything just sit back and enjoy the show, but well said troy

cheers

phil

·
Registered
nissan
27 Posts
You can't beat the ole 4.2 TD...:victory:

or is the duel " Shotgun at 12 paces..."

·
Registered
nissan
11,208 Posts
another can of worms question. it almost ends up like every other thread whos wang is longer than the next.
although not the quickest thing time has proven a good thing for the td42t.
the 2.8s can be made to go well but if you plan on towing hope you arnt in any kind of hurry.
the 3l goes alright but have a habbit of going bang in the earlier models. most people on here remove most boost and turbo control from the ecu and along with a few other mods i dont think ive heard of a failure with these mods fitted. both the smaller motors imo will never last as long as a maintained td42t no matter what is done(which the exception of the lucky few that do get real good milage out of the smaller motors)
standard i think both the 2.8 and the 3l would most likely beat a 4.2 but spend dollar for dollar on all three and a 4.2 would most likely eat the others for breakfast.
then the petrol engines. the 4.5 is a good solid depandable engine that goes ok, but not mind blowing to say the least. and doesnt mind a drink
the 4.8 is the quickest engine in any patrol that im aware and so far i havent heard of any reliability dramas as such but i hope you have a big wallet cause pulling into the fuel station is going to hurt. but did anyone say power!
thats my opinion and some will agree and surely some will disagree but il stand by what ive said.

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Prefered motor
OR
Preferred motor within a budget

We all know (without starting another debate)
The larger engines are better,especially for towing ect
But it really does depend on your budget
Ferrari tastes on a Holden budget works on everything

·
Banned
nissan
69 Posts
Whatever your budget can afford mate, if you are not entering Extreme Comps then have a look at the smaller engines, but stick to your budget and someone else said buy the newest you can afford, good luck.

Rosscoe

1 - 20 of 46 Posts