Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all,

Started the car up this morning and looked underneath and spotted what looks and smells like coolant. Some drops on the top of the diff/axle housing directly below wet spot pictures. but not dripping when engine is running.

Thoughts? I have a 08 CRD wagon.

·
Registered
nissan
16 Posts
Sounds and look like what mine had earlier this year. Mine was leaking between the head and timing case.
It would only leak if the engine did not get to operating temp. In the end i pulled the engine out to fix it.

·
Registered
nissan
34 Posts
I had a leak in a similar spot, ended up being the thermostat housing which is just above the AC pump and underneath the alternator. Its on the other side of the motor (faces the back of the car). Bit of a pain to get too, but you should be able to eye ball it if you take the skirting off from the passenger wheel arch and have a look through...

·
Registered
Nissan
1,710 Posts
mine is also leaking from around the timing cover area, Been leaking for the last 4 years and has not really gotten any worse, nor does it effect the car in any way. As mentioned only leaks when it doesn't get warmed up to operating temp.

2 solutions pull motor out and get it fixed, could cost you thousands.

or you can install a coolant loss alarm and set up a coolant temp alarm and monitor it.

Low Coolant Alarm - REDARC
Universal 1/32 DIN PID Temperature Controller Universal 1/32 DIN PID Temperature Controller [SYL-1512A] - $37.56 : auberins.com, Temperature control solutions for home and industry

this is the way I went.

·
Registered
nissan patrol 4x4
91 Posts
My Di was leaking the same, I found it was coming from a coolant hose connection behind the alternator, I tightened the hose clamp on it & that was the end of the problem.
Reg

·
Registered
nissan
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks all, so far it's only done it once to this week so I'm putting it down to the cold weather and not being run much for two weeks.

Last two days it has been good and no leak seen.

Will keep an eye on it.

Spoke to two mechanics today.

One said the engine would have to come out, flywheel off, head off and sandwich plate off then start the rebuild with a new gasket.

Second one said don't need to pull the engine out, just strip the front off and new gasket. Then reassemble. I asked about taking the sump off and can you remove the sumo without taking out the gearbox and he said you can on a common rail, but I'm reading this is not the case?

I'll keep an eye on it for now..

·
Registered
Nissan
1,710 Posts
Thanks all, so far it's only done it once to this week so I'm putting it down to the cold weather and not being run much for two weeks.

Last two days it has been good and no leak seen.

Will keep an eye on it.

Spoke to two mechanics today.

One said the engine would have to come out, flywheel off, head off and sandwich plate off then start the rebuild with a new gasket.

Second one said don't need to pull the engine out, just strip the front off and new gasket. Then reassemble. I asked about taking the sump off and can you remove the sumo without taking out the gearbox and he said you can on a common rail, but I'm reading this is not the case?

I'll keep an eye on it for now..
Im led to believe to take the sump off in the CRD you need the gearbox out, had an oil leak from my timing cover years ago probly one of the first CRDs to have this and Emerald Nissan struggled with fixing it had the car for 2 weeks or more had the gearbox out multiple times trying to locate the leak.

on the plus side they gave me a new clutch pressure plate and fly wheel, Led to believe they destroyed something in the removal process.

·
Registered
nissan
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeh im pretty sure it's coming from the timing cover, looks like it's coming from just below and behind the alternator where the head joints the sandwich plate and block, then it runs down the side of the block and drips off the alternator bracket

·
Registered
nissan
16 Posts
You can remove the timing case without removing the sump, but sealing it back up might result in more leaks if not done properly hence why i decided to remove engine. Does become pricey though.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I had a similar problem last year, took rocker cover off tighten head bolts 1/8th turn and adjusted valve clearance, result leak stopped.

·
Registered
nissan
875 Posts
If it's oily, it will be air con refrigerant and lube. If it's not, it will be engine coolant.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GU III 2002 (2006 ZD30)
3 Posts
Just noticed this happening today for the first time. Exactly the same as in your photo hilux. Have not had this problem in the past. Doesn't seem to happen when engine running. Hasn't caused vehicle to overheat either.

There are some similar threads in the past and the common denominator seems to be the cold outside temperature. We had a low of 4 degrees last night here (Central Coast, NSW). Not sure if this has anything to do with it or just a coincidence.

Think I'm going to monitor it and possibly install one of those coolant temp alarms as suggested by voids. Not real keen to pull the motor out to fix it just yet...

·
Registered
Nissan
94 Posts
Pressurise the cooling system and hopefully you'll be able to pin point the leak.

Thermostat housing and water pump gaskets aren't big jobs compared to the gasket between the engine block and timing block/wedge. It can be done without taking the engine out I'm told.

I had a similar leak last week. Tracked it down to thermostat housing. I replaced the thermostat about 6 mths ago with a Trident high flow. All was good until we got a few cold mornings - it leaked like you have described. Swapped in a new genuine thermostat and O ring yesterday so hopefully that has fixed everything for me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts