Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 209 Posts

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My td42 has been through its fair share of different noises and rattles.
Well it started making a new noise the other week and couldn't work out if it was coming from the back bottom of the motor or clutch area. The noise was rev related and was louder at 2000rpm. But got quieter as the car warmed up. Crossing my fingers it was clutch related or input shaft as the noise would change slightly with clutch in or out but not 100% sure I kept driving for about a week, then everything became quiet, nothing, the quietest and smoothest the car has ever been. This then gave me hope for something in the bell housing that had rattled free(i did have a bad clutch fork boot for a while and had a crunchy thrust bearing a couple of times after some water crossings about a year ago)

Sweet I thought, until about a week later and got a noticeable noise under load on the highway, then pulled off the exit and as rolling up to the round about got a horrible clacking but went away when I took off again. Clacking would come back when pulling up to stop then just kept doing it.
Put it on a truck to get home and investigate...
Pulled rocker cover and glow plugs, turned over by hand and all looked good, no ****ed rockers or excessive gap.
Turned motor over with starter (fuel disconnected) and glow plugs out and could hear a light tapping, put glow plugs back in and was a loud knocking.
So obviously something bottom end. Pulled the sump off and found a bunch of stuff that looks like the small rock they use in hot mix bitumen. And not magnetic.
Sorry the pic is a **** one but that is honestly what it looks like.
What the fook is this ****?

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
389 Posts
Looks like some sort of scale build up. I had a washing machine that did this once and left all these rock feeling little shards inside the drum. But thats probably not much help for you. Maybe it is build up of oil crud over the years that has fallen free?

Has it always had regular oil changes?

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nothing looks obviously wrong underneath.
Just turned it over again with and without glow plugs.
Without you can only just hear a tapping. But you only need to put one glow plug in and can be in any cylinder and you get a very loud clunk.
Any ideas before I go pulling any more **** appart?

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nah, it's definitly not oil build up. The old 'teeth test' feels like rock.
Big end bearings would still be silver even if they wer smashed to pieces? Would they be magnetic?

Yeah the last 100,000 km has been serviced ever 5000.
Bit weird it literally turned over 360'000 on the dot and started its clacking

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had a bit of a look with the torch. Not really sure what to look at, I need to get my socket off my mate to I can turn the motor over while I'm under it.
I would have thought I could rule out pistons or gudeons as there is hardly any noise when no glow plugs is but if you put just one in any of the cylinders you get a loud knock.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is there any liner, bearing, bearing cap,seal or something internally that would make fragments like this because when I crush one in the pliers it pretty much turns to dust.
As an experiment I found a similar sized piece off the road and it crushed identical, albeit a slightly lighter colour which I'm guessing is cause it hasn't been soaking in oil?

·
Registered
nissan gu td42t
625 Posts
Have a look at the skirts on the pistons when their in the lowest position and look at the bores when the piston is at its highest point.
If it makes noise with glowies in the compression must be making it louder.
Was it running rough or blowing any smoke before you shut it down to truck it home, or just making the noise?

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Running fine just noisy.
Just seems weird you can add compression (by putting in glow plug) into any cylinder and it makes it noisier.
The only thing that I have come across that could remotely be these rocks is a vane from the vacuum pump.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Possible, but would they end up in the cylinders not the sump?
Is there any easy way to check the valve stem seals without removing the rocker arm?

·
united fuel injection
Nissan
2,633 Posts
Possibly Bakelite from an old filler cap , they do break off and fall into the sump .

·
Registered
nissan gu td42t
625 Posts
I recon ToughDiesel is onto it. I took my cap off years ago and it just snapped off. Left a ring in the thread of the rocker cover. I didn't know it was broken until I put oil in it and noticed the hole was a bit smaller than usual.
Them pieces may have been sitting in sump for a while and have nothing to do with the noise that your looking for.
How long have you had the vehicle for. If your caps ok it may have been broken and fallen in with the previous owner.

·
Registered
nissan gu td42t
625 Posts
You could try putting the puzzle back together piece by piece.......

Lol.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well it's possible I spose, I've had the car for 100,000 km and the oil cap is good.
You are right that the noise could be unrelated.
Got any ideas what could be going on?
I'm going to try get under and pull a couple of big end caps off but we have over 400mm of rain for cast the next couple of days.

·
Registered
nissan gq
2,183 Posts
Possible, but would they end up in the cylinders not the sump?
Is there any easy way to check the valve stem seals without removing the rocker arm?
In the cylinders ?? how?? I have seen [ on a ford 351 ] the stem seals hardened and broken

up/chopped to bits [ like yours ] by the spring action,flushed into the sump.You will probably

be able to see the seals through the valve springs,look for bits missing,

Just re-read your post,was distracted from the real issue by the title,the noise--description leads me to look at flywheel

bolts loose,harmonic balancer bolt,check all bearing cap bolts,any metalic [ bearing material ] muck in the sump ? I have

heard of but not seen a broken crank in a TD,pull and replace each bearing cap in turn,look for a nasty line through the

journal,hope it turns out to be an easy fix,

Cheers,G.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well here comes the rain so I guess I can't dig any further for the next couple of days.
But I have found cylinder 3 has no compression. Haven't been able to pull the head yet to see if it's a hole in the piston or valve/head related.
There was no metallic bits in the sump, just this gravelly looking stuff.
What are valve stem seals made from?
Looking through the springs every thing seems to look the same.

1 - 20 of 209 Posts