Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GU 1998 ST 2.8
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to check and repack all my wheel bearings with new grease and i notice in the service manual that they recommend a special tool. does anyone use 1 or have any idea how to make one?

Thanks for reading this and i eagerly await your replies.

Mark

·
Registered
nissan
1,339 Posts
54mm nut - Use a screwdriver or something similar, and get rid of the nut and upgrade to the GU locking ring setup.

GU locking ring setup - I used a tentpeg. Get it tight, then stick the peg in one of the holes at an angle (So the force of the hammer is driven into twisting the ring tight) and tap tap tap away.

If you've got the dosh, get the tool.
If you've got the tools, make one yourself.
If you can't be arsed, do the dodgy :)

·
Go Hard or Go Home
3,197 Posts

·
Go Hard or Go Home
3,197 Posts
Yeah that crossed my mind, but it was a direct answer to the question with a photo :grin:
Agreed mate, & I now have this on my wish list for Christmas..... Just got to convince the finance minister to come to the party.

·
Registered
nissan
536 Posts
I've just done the front wheel bearings on my Patrol, and bought one of the Hub sockets from Roadrunner Offroad Products to do the job.

The socket allows you to set the preload on the bearings as per the manual with a torque wrench. Which after doing the job has kept the hubs at an even temperature after running.

The hub socket was sent very quickly and was in my post box within a few days of ordering.

Nissan GU Hub Socket GQ Upgrade new Free Delivery (eBay item 300475115127 end time 30-Dec-10 10:42:06 AEDST) : Cars, Bikes, Boats

·
Registered
nissan
154 Posts
here a pic from one for the mk.
Home made and torque proof

Attachments

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GU 1998 ST 2.8
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you

Thanks guys..... I think I will make one at work... Nothing else to do at the moment!!!

·
Registered
nissan
684 Posts
Slightly off topic guys, but are there any reasonably priced 0-20nm torque wrenches around? I too use the "guesstimate" method, but always have to nip them up a couple of times. Would be so much simpler to be ale to get the correct tension first time. Cheers

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
There are but are incredibly dear due to the tolerance required in half inch drive. Plenty of 1/4" drive ones around but I cant find any 1/4" square female to 1/2" square male adapators.

Ill probably make such an adaptor by cutting a 1/4" and 1/2 drive and welding the frankenstein together.

·
Registered
nissan
308 Posts
Just got 2 sets of GQ front wheel bearing kits for $58 each side... repco quote $85 Bursons $74 and CBC bearings $58 now that's a good price.

·
naturally asthmatic
4,387 Posts
I just made one to small bolts welded to an old hub, witha socket welded to it works a treat.
I have made a few of these two. The Safari has the same locking ring set-up as the GU. I didn't know that until I had the hub apart to do the rotors and bearings. Glad I was able to make one up quickly and also get the money out of the 54mm Snap On hub socket I had just bought. Now I've discovered that my local parts store sells similar tools for North American market trucks for $5. All I have to do is weld two pins to the outside to adapt it to work on the Safari/GU locking ring.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts