• Replacement of shock rubbers and or shocks

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Wheel Offset Change

Votes: 1 0.8%
121 - 134 of 134 Posts

· Registered
2005 GU IV Patrol
171 Posts
The steering adjustment has made a huge improvement almost no wheel wobble at all anymore, randomly it pops in now and then very slightly, but I think that's just the road, probably quite normal. I think what it really shows is that any loosness in this vehicle can cause wheel wobbles. I'm going to go under the car and torque every single bolt, I'm sure some have come loose over time as well. It's probably why the wheel wobble is so hard to fix as there are million possibilities for it. I highly recommend to everyone though to check their steering for freeplay, regardless of wobbles, it's made a huge difference to the car in terms of driving it, just feels so much stabler and safer to drive. It's a very easy part to adjust you dont need to remove anything. Just the cover behind your right fron wheel, the adjustment bolt can be accessed from the engine bay, it's right next to the water bottle.

· Registered
2005 GU IV Patrol
171 Posts
Looks like it was all a dream. Wobbles are definetly still there they havent improved at all with the steering box adjustment.
Back to square 1, this is going to drive me crazy like im sure it has many others haha

· Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
57,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
Looks like it was all a dream. Wobbles are definetly still there they havent improved at all with the steering box adjustment.
Back to square 1, this is going to drive me crazy like im sure it has many others haha
It will be one of the things mentioned in this thread, you just need to eliminate them one at a time.

· Registered
2005 GU IV Patrol
171 Posts
I re-adjust the wheel bearing as properly as I could following the manual and the wobble dissapeared for a whole day, only popped its head up slightly on a downhill run yesterday, but I tried for a good 30 minutes to reproduce it and I couldn't (I was getting the wobble at 90kph constantly at this point). This wobble is obviously caused by some sort of play in the front axle and it really only needs a tiny bit to be felt. I had a quick look at my top king pin bearings and they looked ok, but one definetly doesn't look that good it looks a bit dark and burnt in some places, I'm guessing that's not good. As removing the bottom king pins requires pretty much an axle rebuild level of removing stuff, I'll probably just rebuild the whole front axle, you can get the whole kit for $250 so might as well. Even the wheel bearings had some very minor wear but my guess is all this can add to looseness so this is where I will be heading next, but I'm not working on the car for a while till I get my hoist :p

· Registered
8 Posts
Hi Guys
I am trying to eliminate my steering wobble in my 03 GU Wagon and would appreciate hearing from others who have solved the issue
So far i have done the following
1. Full inspection at pedders which resulted in.....every bush changed front and rear
New track rod,steering dampner, tie rods, panhard rod bushes ect .....
New King Pin Bearings with shims removed
New wheel bearings, anything that was sus was replaced
I currently run kings steel rims with a neg 13 offset and micky tee at's 285 x75 x 16
And she wobbles bad between 70 and 90 kph, worse when i have the 3 tonne van attached

Soooo the wobbles continue and some have suggested going back to zero offset and 265 tyres. One tyre guy blamed my mickey tee's.saying they are feathered, they are only 9 mths old
I made some changes yesterday, i have 2 x zero offset std alloy rims currently fitted on front with good Cooper 265x75 ats fitted and farrk me, the wobbles stop???

My question is.....Is it the smaller width tyre? or the zero offset rims that fixed the issue??
I really dont want to go a narrower tyre, i like the 285's the 265's look skinny
Will 285's on Zero offset rims scrub badly ?
I am considering going a good 285x75 AT instead of the aggressive mickey's and changing to Zero offset steelies
Thanks heaps for any advise
Cheers

· Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
57,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·
Hi Guys
I am trying to eliminate my steering wobble in my 03 GU Wagon and would appreciate hearing from others who have solved the issue
1. Full inspection at pedders which resulted in.....every bush changed front and rear
I currently run kings steel rims with a neg 13 offset and micky tee at's 285 x75 x 16
And she wobbles bad between 70 and 90 kph, worse when i have the 3 tonne van attached

Soooo the wobbles continue and some have suggested going back to zero offset and 265 tyres. One tyre guy blamed my mickey tee's.saying they are feathered, they are only 9 mths old
I made some changes yesterday, i have 2 x zero offset std alloy rims currently fitted on front with good Cooper 265x75 ats fitted and farrk me, the wobbles stop???

My question is.....Is it the smaller width tyre? or the zero offset rims that fixed the issue??
I really dont want to go a narrower tyre, i like the 285's the 265's look skinny
I am considering going a good 285x75 AT instead of the aggressive mickey's and changing to Zero offset steelies
Cheers
Have moved you to an existing thread which you should read. We already have 5,384,632 wheel wobble threads.

· Registered
CRD Wagon
1,832 Posts
Hi Guys

Cheers
Considering that you have replaced all the suspension bushings and assuming all bearings are preloaded correctly we are left with:

Wheel combo

Flogged out shocks

Incorrect castor

I've fixed mine for now thanks to this thread, but I have a feeling it's going to rear it's head sooner rather than later.

· Registered
Nissan
719 Posts
Heres a video I clipped from a DCOA video on YT, shows a later model 3.0 L GU wagon shaking like Elvis on the motorway of all places. It looks like a mild wobble as he keeps going with some braking, the wobbles I've had on a leaf rear GU ute are more suvere. Enough to mangle a steering dampner. In the survey I don't see dampner, it's a considerable factor in not stopping wobbles if not working properly.

I've learned a lot about the wobbles with my recent ordeal, I will do a final report when I get panhard bushes replaced. Beyond that I'm thinking I might order the shims from Nissan and replace back to factory as mine had been completely removed shortly after buying in 2015.

Edit: Video MP4 file 5.6 mb failed to attach, can someone please advise me if it can be added or not?

· Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
57,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #132 ·
Heres a video I clipped from a DCOA video on YT, shows a later model 3.0 L GU wagon shaking like Elvis on the motorway of all places. It looks like a mild wobble as he keeps going with some braking, the wobbles I've had on a leaf rear GU ute are more suvere. Enough to mangle a steering dampner. In the survey I don't see dampner, it's a considerable factor in not stopping wobbles if not working properly.

I've learned a lot about the wobbles with my recent ordeal, I will do a final report when I get panhard bushes replaced. Beyond that I'm thinking I might order the shims from Nissan and replace back to factory as mine had been completely removed shortly after buying in 2015.

Edit: Video MP4 file 5.6 mb failed to attach, can someone please advise me if it can be added or not?
If it is just a link to a site it should work. Videos cannot be directly loaded.

· Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
57,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 ·
121 - 134 of 134 Posts