Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title say's, I'm interested to know when people use their locker. Apart from the obvious when I'm stuck!

Do you engage the rear as soon as you lock the hubs?
Just look at a track and say I'll put it/them on?
Like me have three goes then the rear then the front
always put them on in mud?

·
Registered
nissan
2,406 Posts
After watching the unlocked truck ahead of me battle with it.

And when by looking at the track you can see it's going to be a rough ride..just lock up and crawl instead of bending stuff unnecessarily.

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,225 Posts
Depends on the terrain but a mixture of, "I think I'll just put them on" and "another try and then I'll give lockers a go". I generally use lockers if I think I won't be able to have another proper go at something, like muddy bog holes.

·
Registered
9,574 Posts
Like Hey hey said, I also use a mixture of, "I think I'll just put them on" and "another try and then I'll give lockers a go".

I sometimes get out to play with the other silly boys in the mud, then I will have a few goes without lockers on. But the majority of the time I am towing a boat on the beach (and don't want to get swamped in salt water) or on holidays towing a camper trailer and have the family on board. They just do not seem to appreciate the 'have a few goes first' type of decision.

So I often just flick on the lockers and go straight through in the first go. That way I am allowed to keep going a lot further before the handbrake getts difficult and wants to turn around.

·
Registered
nissan
2,406 Posts
Someone is bound to complain about the environment soon.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

"Damned irresponsible hooligans tearing up the tracks and damaging all those innocent granules of dirt by spinning wheels" .. What a load of crap. If it's an actual track (ie not bushbashing) then so what... Rain, erosion and overgrowth do more damage than 4wders. Zero harm done.

·
Registered
nissan
2,994 Posts
"Damned irresponsible hooligans tearing up the tracks and damaging all those innocent granules of dirt by spinning wheels" .. What a load of crap. If it's an actual track (ie not bushbashing) then so what... Rain, erosion and overgrowth do more damage than 4wders. Zero harm done.
And still does less damage than knobs who insist on running highway pressures then wonder why they get lots of wheelspin.

·
GHMBC #3
nissan patrol gq lwb,3"lift.
3,788 Posts
And still does less damage than knobs who insist on running highway pressures then wonder why they get lots of wheelspin.
and don't forget the eggheads and their 31' road tyres in their tradie utes - shi ts me when they block a track a Lada Niva would get through

·
Registered
nissan
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
arb told me to only put them on when stopped! but I've seen heaps of people turn on when moving and like you said moving not spinning. any other thoughts?

·
Registered
Nissan
2,992 Posts
ARB are useless idiots, if there is no wheelspin or differential wheel speed then you won't hurt them.

Driving in a straight line not spinning wheels you can flick them on regardless of speed

1 - 20 of 35 Posts