Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Nissan patrol 3.0 CRD
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, thought I would put together a few things on the recent work I have had done to the 2014 gu zd30 and how bad it all went.

Looking to improve the towing capacity, I picked up a HPD series 2 intercooler and eclipse turbo. Not wanting to cut the bonnet, I thought best to put it in the shop and have it all done professionally. This is now my greatest regret...

I had a local 4wd service shop booked in. I am new to the area so looked through google reviews and selected on close by with great reviews. When I arrived to drop off the car there were many customer 4wds out front, a good sign.

picking up the car I was pretty excited, it drove pretty well but was dark by the time I got home. Had a rattle noise somewhere, when I jumped under the car an exhaust mount bolt was missing (The others were all new). Fixed that but still a noise, opened the bonnet but could not see anything. I did notice a air box clip was now missing. Servicing book was also not completed.

driving to work the next day was going pretty well, until an intercooler hose popped off (I had not changed tillex from 20psi). When I opened the bonnet it was like an oil carrying cargo shipped had crashed.what looked like litres of oil had been spat out of the dipstick, it was everywhere. I rang the shop and dropped back off that night.
When I dropped it off I also noticed the intercooler was getting gauged by the bonnet and the coolant expansion tank was empty. Showed them everything and left.
To be continued.....

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
47,423 Posts
Wow, I'm speechless, let us know what they come back with. I would not post the name of the workshop yet, but would appreciate a PM them for future ref.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The next time I went to pick up the car I noticed that the bonnet cut for the new scoop was not correct. It was to far forward by an inch and was not sitting on the IC correctly. I had the car running while I was checking everything over and oil started to splatter out of the dipstick. I didn’t take the car

the next time I went to pick up the car the bonnet scoop was sitting correctly over the ic, great. So what are we going to about the three old holes in my bonnet?? He seemed surprised I asked. I chose not to take the car again

the final time I went to pick up the car he had put button head screws in the holes. I was well over it and decided to take the car. The car is now sitting in another garage getting checked over. I am still working out what to do.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The only thing wrong with my car when I took it in was wobbles at 80km. Now I have a laundry list of things to fix.....

·
Registered
nissan patrol
371 Posts
That stinks mate. You are better off doing it yourself. At least you'll know if you didn't do it right and know it still needs sorting instead of having to blindly trust somebody else did everything right. Hope it gets put right.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

·
Y61=WIN
nissan
3,003 Posts
Blowing off hoses can happen especially when they are not properly banded on high quality clamps and also not lipped. Good quality v bands and lipped - Ive seen 60psi on compound turbos not fail after years and years. Im a fan of lipped plumbing for this reason.

You have consumer protection through the trade practices act. Good and services are inherently warranted for being fit for purpose and of sound merchantable quality.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Blowing off hoses can happen especially when they are not properly banded on high quality clamps and also not lipped. Good quality v bands and lipped - Ive seen 60psi on compound turbos not fail after years and years. Im a fan of lipped plumbing for this reason.

You have consumer protection through the trade practices act. Good and services are inherently warranted for being fit for purpose and of sound merchantable quality.
[/QUOTE Nullack what are lipped plumbing clamps?

Reactions: TEEKAYO

·
Premium Member
TD42 GQ
1,043 Posts
That's very disappointing, did they get the work experience kid to do it?
Those HPD kits come with very clear instructions on how to position the element and line up the cut in the bonnet. My only DIY concern would be slipping with the angle grinder and leaving a big gouge across the bonnet.
You do have consumer rights if you want to push the issue. It would seem their quality of workmanship is far from acceptable.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Under consumer law protections you would have them by the balls!

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
47,423 Posts
I'm pretty sure he means the plumbing is lipped, not the clamps. "good quality V bands and lipped plumbing".
Yes I'm pretty sure of that myself, my CCIC has a rolled lip at each entry and exit point, I would have thought the HPD had the same but in the casting, have fitted a couple of HPD to others vehicles but can't remember exactly what they looked like, but hoses have never come off anyway.

@therealmo I am still using the original hose clamps on the CCIC exit but replaced the inlet ones due to pipe size changes but just bought off the shelf trident clamps, only once in 20 years have I had a hose pop off and the reason that happened was me rushing to get it finished and not properly cleaning the hose internally, what I normally do is fully clean the hoses internally with metho, and do the same externally to the pipes they are being fitted to (from turbo to CCIC I changed the pipe size and manually beat a lip onto the new pipes), tighten clamps and then re-tighten after a drive, check again after a few days. I've run up to 30psi out of the Eclipse in testing and never had a hose pop off because of that regime.

·
Y61=WIN
nissan
3,003 Posts
Yeah, sorry fellas work demands on my time and grammar

I mean, using a bead roller to deform the material into a nice simple mechanical means to reinforce the connection

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Blew two hoses of during the first week, at 20psi. Tightened everything up and no further issues

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Grabbing a new expansion cap to try and sort the expansion tank emptying. Mechanic said pressure test was fine, have no indication of loss or leaking coolant

also got a wheel balance, so will test the wobbles tomorrow

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
47,423 Posts
OK, what is the current state of play all round? This is getting deeper and deeper.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I guess the items I am still looking at are:
Wobbles at 80km - check tomorrow
Expansion tank empty - try new cap first
Knocking noise front right - probably bushes somewhere

next goals are:
Remap/tune
Look into this multiple needle config guys are working on

final goal: caravan lap of oz

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
47,423 Posts
I guess the items I am still looking at are:
Wobbles at 80km - check tomorrow
Expansion tank empty - try new cap first
Knocking noise front right - probably bushes somewhere

next goals are:
Remap/tune
Look into this multiple needle config guys are working on

final goal: caravan lap of oz
1. Wobbles, look for death wobble poll in DI Achives for info.
2. Try new cap, if expansion tank still empties into lower overflow then the news maybe bad, it may not be an issue slow driving but a bit a good run at high speed will tell the story.
3. The rest depends on getting number 2 sorted.

·
Registered
Was known as JT54_Y61 GU IV 08CRD Wag ST
1,157 Posts
@therealmo realize that you are attempting to resolve several issues here but would be pressing these guys for a replacement bonnet. Their quality control is real poor and they should be made accountable for their stuff up.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah I mostly agree. It’s a tough one. From everything I have seen of their work, I am not so keen to let them touch my car anymore. No one wins out of escalating to a third party.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts