·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey,
i have a gq 1990 4.2d
hitting 21 years old and has no visable rust,
where do they commonly rust so i can check exampple: floor, pillars?
and put up some pics if u can
cheers
Blake
:worthles:

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
More the point where dont they rust ???
Rear roof above rear windows,front floor,left and right
Guards,doors,sills,rear 1/4s,windscreen turret around front screen
Rad support panels

How bad they rust depends ,
IF its been looked after or driven to the beach daily

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mine has been garaged, been on the beach once or twice, and has been looked after good.
and no rust,

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Some of the rust they get
Starts from the inside out
(rear roof area and front screen area especially)
By the time you see it bubbling its usually to late for preventive maintenance

·
Registered
nissan
3 Posts
^^Yeahh..^^
I have this sort of bubbling going on, along the 'sills' near the roof....i'm guessing it's from water just sitting in them then soaking up inside of the roof to the outside? No way to treat it then? :S

·
Registered
nissan
315 Posts
best way i've been told is to grind it out and then bog it up or plate it cause once rusted it weaker and bubling is the next stage so anything can happen

·
Registered
nissan
1,194 Posts
hey guys,

ive got rust in my 98 gu , above the rear barn doors , where the rubber sill is that s between the car and the door , real bad in 3 spots , im putting up a thread tomorrow on it , ive done a air bit of body work on various other cars .
wire brush , sand , vacy , metho, kill rust, metho , bog , sand , prime , paint , re-instal rubber seal :D
good as done , just have to make sure u kill rust and get rid of it as best as humanly possible .

cheers chris

·
Registered
GU8 CRD
1,558 Posts
and put up some pics if u can
These are just samples from my old bomb I have pulled apart and reassembled...

They can rust anywhere around the roof where it meets the gutter. Three pieces of steel meet at this point inside the roof and form a perfect trap for gunk and moisture. In the case below the rust started from chipped paint, but the affect of the water over a period in the joint can be seen.

Behind the rubber seal of the windscreen at the top where water can sit. The service manual states that butyl tape be used between the seal and the metal work at this point, but I don't think many replacement windscreen places would do this.

Not sure if this is common, but gunk between the plastic trim and bodywork behind the rear door can hold water which can lead to rust if the paint gets damaged (this pic shows it partially repaired with epoxy / cloth)

·
Registered
nissan
181 Posts
You'll see sills and rear inner quarter on my project thread, and alot of surface rust on chassis. Other than that i'm not doing to bad just yet fingers crossed when i take out the carpet i still have a floor :D:D:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts