Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where do you trust to hav work done on your truck in chch nz & missing/white smoke

as the title say, where do you guys take your truck in for work.

Mine had the rear end drowned a few weeks back, the front was out of the water but the back right hand side had water up past the filler cap.. engine kept running till I could drag her out.. shortly afterward she lost power and created her own weather system of clouds... water sensor light came on from the fuel filter.. cleared that and shes been running okish. no water that I can see in the oil... but I've drained the fuel filter now five times (each time the water in fuel light on the dash comes on) and the last one was about 1.5 inches of liquid in a 1.5 litre water bottle..( great way to ensure no diesel gets on the driveway!!!) half of the liquid was water rest was diesel and black gunky type oily stuff...

So... current requirement is due to random missing and clouds of pure white smoke when no load is applied ( ie free revving of engine).

When I'm driving there is no smoking. Once shes... warmed up the noload smoking seemes to be less prevalent.
also I'm running her to the lowest I can on the fuel front... I'm going to drain the rest... Can I get access to the inside of the fuel tank via the boot hatch that has 3 bolts and an arrow stamped on it ?....

At the moment shes not missing so I'm hoping that this is just water related....
however reading the posts on white smoking are not very reassuring...
Specs
4.2 diesel factory turbo kingsroad 287K Km's , auto transmission overhaul recently. and serviced regularly.
Piers:driving::confused::confused:

any thoughts on places to have her looked at ...
any thoughts on the random missing... white smoke issue

·
Previously known as twodiffs
1991 GQ Safari.
3,695 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
85 Posts
I just had injector pump recond, and injectors serviced by Diesel Pumps (remove and fit myself). Pretty happy with the quality and service.
My guess is you've got some air in the fuel lines after playing with the filter, especially rough / uneven idle, missing, and white smoke at revs. Check that the seals on the bleeder plug and drain on fuel filter are okay. Then bleed at the injector pump until no bubbles, then keep pumping until you're sure, then keep going for a little while to save having to do it again.
There's a drain plug in the bottom of the fuel tank - at least there is in mine ('88 SWB) - to get any water out of the tank. Should be easy to spot if you get under the back of the truck.
Cheers from Chch.

·
Registered
nissan
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
2 diff yep was going to do that as well :) but this place seem t have the sensitive die hards here for the patrol.. maybe just as much over at ORE.
freddyN, strange thing is that I seem not to have a bleeder valve as per the nissan workshop manual that I've obtained via ebay... I also seem to have a hybrid between various pumps etc sigh prob just ignorance on my part.. I've pumped and pumped and er pumped until I recon I've got as much air out as poss... I'll post the picture of the last drain contents .. loads of water.. some black icky looking goo/globs and the rest is greyish diesel. I recon that I've got some time at teh garage coming .. I'd like to get the engine compression and leakdown tested and just get an overall idea as to the current state of the engine/fuel pump/injectors etc..
so I'm off to check the above outfits out and see what they say.. other than that she running fine... no more water lights coming on today ....

I'll check for a drain plug too....
thanks for the replies guys

off up the Dobson river/valley( got stuck in the mackauly last time though!!) on thurs till tuesday.. long weekend pass from the missues yeay! so the truck better behave in the meantime :)

·
Registered
Nissan
85 Posts
A bit of black grunge is quite normal - that's what the filter/trap is for - just water from condensation inside the tank that's contaminated with grunge growing in it.
The bleed screw on the injector pump should be a 10mm nut head with a screwdriver slot in it - sits on top of banjo fuel connectors on the very top of the pump. It's ideally a two person job, as you can't see the fuel coming out from where you've got to stand to operate the pump at the fuel filter. At a guess, I've probably had to pump about 1/2 litre fuel through before it was completely clear of air. It's quite a lot - some will probably end up on your driveway despite efforts to avoid it.

·
Registered
nissan
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok will check tomorrow.. wx is looking a bit ****e though.... typical as soon as I need to do anything on 'her' the wx craps out...b est be leaving it till the weekend though.. thanks again FreddyN

·
Safari Hoarder
nissan
4,793 Posts
There are 2 different factory fuel filter heads for the Y60 Safari. Both have a hand pump. 1 has a plastic bleeding screw and 1 fuel inlet, 1 fuel outlet. The other is a cold weather head (??) with 2 extra lines and no plastic bleeder. You can manually bleed as FreddyN posted or just pump until done.

Stop driving you rig until you flush you tank and lines. If the fuel filter collapses or fails you are in for big trouble and lots of $$$. Better find where the water and crud got in as well or it will happen again, maybe just in the rain.

One thought is this crap was in your tank and the prolonged angle exposed it to the fuel pickup.....

I drain my tanks yearly to check for crap......10mm socket and 10 minutes.

·
Registered
Nissan Safari
1,807 Posts
mate, drop your tank out, very easy to do, drain and clean the bloody thing. Wash it out with meths to get all the water out and let it sit in the sun for a few hours. Place back in. fill with clean diesel and a sh*t load of injector cleaner/algae killer. replace your fuel filter and fill it with injector cleaner before fitting. Bleed any air out and then start it. You will blow a heap of crap out of the lines from the filter, fuel pump and injectors. The injector cleaner in the fuel tank will clean the lines from the tank to the filter. You can get inside the tank by taking the top off of where all the wires run for the gauge sender unit.

I know this from experience as I floated down the ashley river one sunday until the arse end sank. tank got water in her and grew algae. It did blow white smke as well. i did the above and fixed the problem and I have had no issues since, that was 4 years ago, and motor is still in top condition. I regularly throw in injector cleaner at about every 4th tank full now. There is a breather for the fuel tank behind the filler, I extended this into the body up into the top of the c pillar, you'll need to do this for peace of mind in the future.

You should have posted on ORE, heaps of safari nuts there, me for one, these aussie guys don't do water deep enough to have this problem;).
Al

·
Registered
Nissan Safari
1,807 Posts
Also, Rick at 4wd Accessories in Montreal St, 3651909. He does all my major mechanical work I can't do and problem solving.
Al

·
1991 GQ Safari.
3,695 Posts
2 diff yep was going to do that as well :) but this place seem t have the sensitive die hards here for the patrol.. maybe just as much over at ORE.
Patrol does have the greater numbers of Nissan owners plus Outers, and there is a sh*tload more info here for the GQ/GU etc. PLUS most of the best aftermarket add ons etc are Aust made as well. Thats why I frequent this site as well as Outers and ORE.
You can basically guarentee that any question/problem/modification has already been solved :ahah:.

·
1991 GQ Safari.
3,695 Posts
You should have posted on ORE, heaps of safari nuts there, me for one, these aussie guys don't do water deep enough to have this problem;).
Al
Thats what I reckon Al...OUR river crossings would scare people away :p

·
1991 GQ Safari.
3,695 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
you guys are fantastic... much thanks to everyone for the help...ps I'm trawling through ORE atm and there do seem enough nz/ch safari nuts there too.. :)
Piers
Albundy, what to you run to get 35 KL71's..my tyres will need replacing next year, I'm tossing up between 33" to 35" 's
I've only got a 2" lift atm...

·
Registered
nissan
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well apparently I do not have a drain on the bottom of my fuel tank.. according the the fsm that I have .. I have not taken off the fuel tank guard plate though so I may be wrong.. do 'they' all have drains ?
Piers

·
Registered
Nissan Safari
1,807 Posts
All fuel tanks have drains. There will be a hole in the tank guard that willgive you acfes to the drain. If not, take it off, the drain hole will be there.
To run my tyres, I have a three inch lift, have spaced the front axle forward and have cut the rear guards. I did'nt want more height for stability reasons.
Al

·
Registered
Nissan Safari
1,807 Posts
Thats what I reckon Al...OUR river crossings would scare people away
That's right jamie,
up the cape York at in July, I saw plenty of people baulking at what I would consider easy water crossings. When we got to the pascoe from the lockhart end, there were trucks turning around saying it was too deep. I and me mate to a recce only to find the river flowing but at top of wheel depth. My mate was starting to baulk as well to which I told him I would put his pussy arse ways on you tube for everyone to laugh at. We crossed but only after I gave him a very good plan to get accross. No one followed us. As long as the water is not dirty, no higher then the snorkel and there is a good safe exit point, I'll give it a go.
Al

·
Registered
nissan
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yup... gotta get some funds for a snorkel first ...I take it that if the water is 'dirty' then you cant see the bottom... or is there more to it than that...

·
Registered
nissan
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
baulking at a river crossing I guess depends upon several factors...no doubt the more mathematically inclined among us could even figure out an equation....

1. Size of ones balls
2. Inclusion of Snorkel
3. level of finesse/newness/expensiveness of car (how new/towny the car is)
4. Previous water crossing experience.
5.Age-what was that about wisdom??
6. financial status
7.wheel size/type
8 tread depth
9. diff locks
10. weight of vehicle
11.depth of water
12. substrate.
13 flow rate.
14 turbidity.
15. equipment- winch
16.Nearby trees (see 15. above)
17. Wife on board (negative)
18.Kids on board (positive-they egg you on to go through-well mine do!!)
19. Has the car been swimming before ?
lastly- whether the TP is stored in the boot and might get wet. ( no leaves for me!!)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts