Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys just wanting to know where everyone has been getting there scangauge from and how much was it? There about $160 on american ebay without postage, Is that a decent price? Or is there somewhere cheap in Australia?

Also from what I've read on here you can get an instantaneous and average l/100km readout is that correct or is it mpg? What other goodies do you find most valuable about it?

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
I bought mine from Wooders... the Aussie distributor and they had 'em on special recently for about that price.

You can set whatever Units you like for the Display.

I rate the calibrated fuel useage, the actual coolant temp and the MAP as the best three functions for the Gauge parameters followed by engine load and voltage.

For "Scan" the ability to read and reset the Fault Codes is goddam handy.

You do know they only work on fully OBDII compliant vehicles, yeah?

·
Registered
nissan patrol
326 Posts
I rate the calibrated fuel useage, the actual coolant temp and the MAP as the best three functions for the Gauge parameters followed by engine load and voltage.
evil twin, what will the MAP tell you? Hope this question doesn't sound to dumb but not sure how to read the info when set to MAP

·
Registered
nissan
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought mine from Wooders... the Aussie distributor and they had 'em on special recently for about that price.

You can set whatever Units you like for the Display.

For "Scan" the ability to read and reset the Fault Codes is goddam handy.

You do know they only work on fully OBDII compliant vehicles, yeah?

Yeah Duramax is OBD2 compliant, I have the connector on the steering column. I'm not really concerned about resetting codes as I have Efi Live for that, but would be really cool to have the trip computer with instantaneous L/100k, and coolant temp, boost would be interesting too even though i've already got a boost gauge.

Thanks for your reply will have to check out Wooders.

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
evil twin, what will the MAP tell you? Hope this question doesn't sound to dumb but not sure how to read the info when set to MAP
Hiya cobber... not dumb at all.

Manifold Absolute Pressure is the 'true' pressure of the air entering the inlet manifold in that it is the ambient atmosphere (approx 14.7 PSI at sea level) plus the boost from the Turbo which is what the ECU needs to know for fuelling.

Trouble is that Atmospheric pressure varies with the weather and altitude. No dramas for the ECU but does mean the Turbo Pressure figure can be out a little.

What "we" ideally like to know is the Turbo Boost Pressure because of spikes or too high a boost pressure. The best guage for that is a Boost gauge because it doesn't sense atmosphere and only measures the Turbo effect but you need to plumb in an appropriate sensor or sense line.

In most cases the Scangauge MAP readout is Ok. Not quite as good as a Boost guage as you have two choices... either do a bit of math and deduct about 14 PSI (or less if you are up a mountain) OR you can adjust your scangauge accordingly.

Barring cyclones or wacking great high pressure systems and allowing for your terrain you will normally be within 1 or maybe 2 PSI at worst and you will certainly see any spikes or overboosts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts