Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Been having a problem this week with the indicators not working, the fuse has blown a couple of times and now no dice at all.

Have done a bit of reading of old posts on here about indicators and I want to check the flasher unit.....but can't find it anywhere...not under the bonnet and not mentioned in the workshop manual.

GU1 2001 wagon.....can anyone tell me where this little poofter can be found?????

Hope someone can help,

Cheers, Jeno

·
Registered
nissan
2,863 Posts
I believe its located drivers side of the dash, behind the lower dash cover.

I think this is it because there was a relay I had down there which I taped to the inside of the dash itself, and now the relay makes a more noticeable "tick" when the indicators are on.

·
Registered
nissan
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyone......help.....I have a had a look and I can't find the pukn thing! All I can see is a little relay looking unit connected to a switch on the break pedal but I am guessing that is for the break lights.

Please, what does it look like and where is it???????

The stupid haynes manual lists it as one of the things to check if your indicators are faulty but then doesn't say where it is!

·
Registered
Nissan
508 Posts
My Gregory's manual says its located where Mungrel said, take the lower dash panel off and its on the left hand side of the steering column above, but next to the ecu.

·
Premium Member
nissan
2,276 Posts
If you look up from the clutch pedal towards the back of the radio you should see the black square box with 3 wires going to it. As other have said it much easier removing the the dash panel above the pedals.

Do your hazard lights work? If the hazard lights are working it can't be a faulty flasher relay.

If the hazard lights aren't working you might have a blown the hazard light fuse (in fuse box under bonnet) and if the hazard light switch is on then the indicators won't work.

·
Registered
nissan
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi gents, thanks very much for the replays!
I finally found the little ***** thanks to your help. It was indeed cooked, however I have replaced and still no indicators........I am off to reverse the polarity and see if that works......but seriously....it shouldn't be this hard should it! Why the puk wouldn't you locate the flasher near the internal fuse box!

·
Registered
nissan
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK I have managed to get the hazard lights working now which tells me:
1. All the indicator bulbs are working;
2. The flasher unit is working.

I did have to muck around with the wires to find right order and once that was done the hazards worked but nothing from the indicators. I have rechecked the indicator fuse and it is fine, I know the flasher is working and all the bulbs so all that leaves is the indicator switch and or wiring fault, possibly at the fuss block, does that sound about right? Any other suggestions of something I have missed?

·
Premium Member
nissan
2,276 Posts
With the hazard switch off and the ignition switch on, do you have power in the Red wire with the White trace at the flasher relay?

You will also need to find the cause of the blown flasher relay and fuses. Start by checking the trailer plug and it's harness for damage.

·
Registered
nissan
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
With the hazard switch off and the ignition switch on, do you have power in the Red wire with the White trace at the flasher relay?

You will also need to find the cause of the blown flasher relay and fuses. Start by checking the trailer plug and it's harness for damage.
OK, so yes, brake lights are fine......trailer plug and harness all looks A OK.

No...I do not get power to the red wire at the flasher! To double check my meter was correct I checked it checked with hazards going and it read just fine...switch hazards off and nothing!

·
Premium Member
nissan
2,276 Posts
No...I do not get power to the red wire at the flasher! To double check my meter was correct I checked it checked with hazards going and it read just fine...switch hazards off and nothing!
Was the ignition turned on?

Power is supplied via fuse 11, it runs through the hazard light switch then to the flasher relay. If the indicator fuse is OK then you more then likely have a faulty hazard light switch or a break in the wire harness between fuse 11 and hazard light switch.

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Yendor,

Thanks for your help mate, I really appreciate it!

Yes mate, the ignition was switched to acc.

Just to reconfirm.....the hazards are working now, switch them on and you can hear the flasher tick away and the hazards work as they should. They work with ignition on or off as they should.

However, with the ignition on it get no power to the flasher when I try the indicators. As stated the fuse it good..I have swapped it a couple of times.

So unless I am not getting something...shouldn't that mean that the problem is either from the indicator switch in the steering column or from the wiring from the back of the fuse to the flasher?

Does that sound right?:headwall::headwall::headwall:

·
Premium Member
nissan
2,276 Posts
Yendor

perhaps he could bypass the hazard switch and make up some female spade connector bridging pigtails to test whether its the hazard switch at fault?

ie bridge each indicator side
Yes you could. You would leave the hazard switch connected and bridge the Red wire with a Blue trace to the Red wire with a White trace.

·
Premium Member
nissan
2,276 Posts
Hi Yendor,

Thanks for your help mate, I really appreciate it!

Yes mate, the ignition was switched to acc.

Just to reconfirm.....the hazards are working now, switch them on and you can hear the flasher tick away and the hazards work as they should. They work with ignition on or off as they should.

However, with the ignition on it get no power to the flasher when I try the indicators. As stated the fuse it good..I have swapped it a couple of times.

So unless I am not getting something...shouldn't that mean that the problem is either from the indicator switch in the steering column or from the wiring from the back of the fuse to the flasher?

Does that sound right?:headwall::headwall::headwall:
If your not getting power in the red wire at the flasher relay for the indicators the problem has to be between fuse 11 and the hazard switch.

Power passes through the flasher relay then to the indicator switch.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts