Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
nissan/gq patrol
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fuel pump is knackered as i have checked everything else and working my way back.

Can someone tell me where the fuel pump is in my GQ 1992 efi ti?

How do i/ what is involved in changing it?

Car is currently on the side of the road, so any urgency would be really appreciated fellas.

Cheers.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Pretty sure its in the tank mate, might be wrong but.. Need to lift the acess panel in the back and take out the sender etc and you will see it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I take its not on gas or it wouldn't be stuck on the side off the road. You will not need to drain the tank.

·
Registered
nissan/gq patrol
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no not on gas. straight ULP. i just rang to see if i can get a pump. can get one tomorrow in sydney, but aftermarket. any thoughts on aftermarket fuel pumps. looks like it is a pain in the arse job having the pump in the fuel tank, so if aftermarket a crap i would rather do it right the first time?

has anyone changed one of these themselves?

nissan patrol y60
433 Posts
its not that biga job pretty straight forward as said previously inspection plate in rear ( 3 screws ) then the sendor assy with pump has 6 or 8 bolts and as for aftermarket fuel pumps i havent had a problem with them

·
Registered
145 Posts
Can't say the same offroad jack. One day a few years ago, my GQ EFI failed to proceed. Tracked it down to a faulty fuel pump, installed an aftermarket one and on the road again. Until, after driving for a couple of hours on a hot day, Patrol failed to proceed again. Sit by the side of the road for 1/2 hour, hop back in and away we go. Spent about two years tracking down the cause of this problem. Can't be the fuel pump, it's a new one right? WRONG!!!. Only found this out after eliminating all other causes and installing a fuel pressure gauge under the bonnet and seeing what was going on when the engine stopped (failed to proceed). Seems the fuel pump must have been overheating (regardless of fuel tank level) and shutting down. Replaced fuel pump again with a different type of aftermarket one. So far so good. You win some and you loose some. But it's not all bad news. I learned a lot about the how things work on the TB42E in the process.

nissan patrol y60
433 Posts
yeah that can happen but no different to genuine **** i had a v6 maxima done the pipe under inlet manifold so not a simple job but i went through 3 pipes from nissan before i got a correct one and i actually got som labour out the bastards to. however last pipe i got pressure tested as i wasnt pulling apart again lol

·
Registered
161 Posts
pic for ya from when I changed one. Original pump on left, I found one from a different Nissan and used that, did the trick.

Not that bad a job but watch the bolts on the access hole don't snap when you try to get them out, same for the little M5 ones that hold the flange to the top of the tank.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts