Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

4041 - 4060 of 4255 Posts

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
46,874 Posts
Yes it's Galvans Gorge.

View attachment 522360
Last time I was there was 1998,Mt Barnett Station was a site to see, apart from how it was being managed (2 Pommies) it was a beautiful spot, assume it still is. Now to go through pics again.

·
Registered
nissan
6,730 Posts
Last time I was there was 1998,Mt Barnett Station was a site to see, apart from how it was being managed (2 Pommies) it was a beautiful spot, assume it still is.
I'd say that Manning Gorge at Mt Barnett is essentially unchanged except that they've made the walk a bit shorter by providing a punt to cross the creek at the camp ground. It is one of the more popular spots on the Gibb and pretty much guaranteed to have a crowd at the waterfall unless you are there soon after sunrise. I'd say it was the most crowded location on the Gibb although Emma Gorge, El Questro and Bell Gorge weren't far behind.

Manning Gorge carefully timed to exclude as many randoms as possible.

A more realistic photo.

The creek at the camp ground

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
46,874 Posts
You need to have strong local knowledge of the area when you take a boat out, otherwise you don't get back until the next tide.

·
Registered
nissan
6,730 Posts
You need to have strong local knowledge of the area when you take a boat out, otherwise you don't get back until the next tide.
From that I'm not sure whether it is in the GSS or not. I thought Poona was a good guess but thought Tuan more likely because of the channel markers which I don't recall at Poona.

Thinking cap back on.

·
Registered
nissan
6,730 Posts
Since gee has said nothing that directly refutes it being in the Great Sandy Straight I'll just try the next settlement along. How about Maaroom?

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
46,874 Posts
Since gee has said nothing that directly refutes it being in the Great Sandy Straight I'll just try the next settlement along. How about Maaroom?
Spot on, I thought my silence would indicate it was the right area, It is the only place along that stretch I had not been to, amazing place, I have a mate who has a live in shed at Poona so know there quite well.

·
Registered
nissan
6,730 Posts
I'd say it's Andrew's go. He was certainly in the right ballpark with Poona. Fraser Island in the background looks pretty much the same from all those GSS settlements.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Ok, this should be pretty easy for anyone who has been there, and something a little different as well.

Where am I?

Plenty of clues in here...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
14,170 Posts
A few sandhills nearby and curried camel pies.

Reactions: andrew1964

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
14,170 Posts
Have another go. I didn’t name it. 🤣

·
Registered
nissan
6,730 Posts
A few sandhills nearby and curried camel pies.
I heard a rumour the bakery there had closed so there might be no more camel pies.

It might have been just a covid thing because the bakery seemed one of the busiest places in town, except for that pub of course.

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
14,170 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
6,730 Posts
This hut is about 25km north east of the mountain pass in the above two photos. If you can find a name for it you are better than I am and I know exactly where it is. I've only found a few pics of it online and none of the pics give it a name. It's on private land so don't bother searching huts in national parks.

4041 - 4060 of 4255 Posts