Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am doing a dual cab chop on my wagon. I have used a laser line marker to put a line through the car that I think is pretty well perpendicular to the floor. Since putting an angle grinder through the car is fairly permanent I want to get a second opinion before I do that.
I have taken a photo of the back of the car, the vertical line is the chop line. The two horizontal lines are reference lines on the car, they are drawn at exactly 90 degrees to the chop line.

You can see in the photo that the chop line is perpendicular to the bottom of the doors and also the plastic trim on the door. It is not perpendicular to the windows or the roof but I dont think the windows or roof are parallel with the floor. What does everyone think? Did I get the line right?

Below is another photo of a chopped patrol that I found on the internet. The back wall on this one is sloped a fair bit so doesnt help too much.

There is also this one which is not a side on photo so I didnt draw the lines but the back wall seems to be perpendicular to the door trim / door bottom.

·
Registered
nissan
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Probably worth adding that my driveway has a steep slope so I had to rotate this photo to get the bottom of the doors to be flat. Also my current suspension is totally stuffed, front sits low and back sits high. When I drew the line with the laser marker I actually jacked the car up by the chassis until the floor was level front to back and side to side.

·
Registered
nissan
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've read that thread, Leethal did a great write up but it's not helpful in this context. What I'm asking for is some extra eyes to look at the line and the rest of the car and tell me if it looks right, I've been looking at the line for a week so I need some outside perspective.

·
Premium Member
nissan
7,493 Posts
I would put a bit of forward slope at the top rather than completely vertical like your pic. The professional ones all have a bit of forward slope which I thing is to allow for a bit of flex in the headboard without it hitting the top of the cab.

Cheers,

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,149 Posts
I would put a bit of forward slope at the top rather than completely vertical like your pic. The professional ones all have a bit of forward slope which I thing is to allow for a bit of flex in the headboard without it hitting the top of the cab.

Cheers,
There is a forward slope, its just faint.

It all looks good, I push the very top of the slope back about 50mm tho. It evens up the funny gap, alows room for the seats to lean back too, otherwise they are stuck straight up and the headrests are agensed the window.

Make sure the bottom bit allows enough room for the seat belt reels too. And dont forget the fuel and brake lines are verry close to the floor when you cut it lol

And if you have a subtank you will have to recess the back wall a little so the filler pipe doesnt hit the tray mount

·
Registered
nissan
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The faint diagonal line was just an idea I had, not sure I will use it. I was not going to put a slant on the top as I plan to get an aluminium canopy made up like the picture of the blue one, I figured that if the gap between the rear wall and the canopy was consistent that would look better than the slant

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,149 Posts
I went somewhere in the middle. IF in dout chop it straight and then play with it. But between myn and the other 2 you can see all 3 options, Straight, full tilt and middleish

Full tilt looks the most factory but looks funny with a tray, unless you put a second hoop infront on the same angle, Straight up is the most practical but kinda look like an after through. But in the end Its all about what YOU like, your the one sits inside staring out the lounge room window at it lol

·
Registered
15 Posts
Where did you get your measurements from? I’m going down the path in cutting the rear end off my self. But can’t work out where to cut it? Is there a preference in it? Or is there an actual measurement off a door crease?
I’ve heard some cut after the child restraints? And some cut before? How much of a difference is this?
Any more info that you may have would be much appreciated. Been collecting research and reading for couple months. Going to be starting this project of mine in June next year!
Cheers in advance!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Where did you get your measurements from? I’m going down the path in cutting the rear end off my self. But can’t work out where to cut it? Is there a preference in it? Or is there an actual measurement off a door crease?
I’ve heard some cut after the child restraints? And some cut before? How much of a difference is this?
Any more info that you may have would be much appreciated

·
Registered
246 Posts
Keep in mind before you do your cut you must keep the rear child restraint bolt holes

9 SEATBELTS AND CHILD RESTRAINT ANCHORAGES
Vehicles originally manufactured to comply with ADR 4 must continue to comply.
The upper torso anchorages for the front lap/sash belt and all other anchorages must comply
with the requirements of ADR 5.
Vehicles originally manufactured to comply with ADR 34 Child Restraint Anchorages and Child
Restraint Anchor Fittings must continue to do so. The child restraint anchorages must comply
with the requirements of ADR 34.

This will determine your cut line.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Keep in mind before you do your cut you must keep the rear child restraint bolt holes

9 SEATBELTS AND CHILD RESTRAINT ANCHORAGES
Vehicles originally manufactured to comply with ADR 4 must continue to comply.
The upper torso anchorages for the front lap/sash belt and all other anchorages must comply
with the requirements of ADR 5.
Vehicles originally manufactured to comply with ADR 34 Child Restraint Anchorages and Child
Restraint Anchor Fittings must continue to do so. The child restraint anchorages must comply
with the requirements of ADR 34.

This will determine your cut line.
Could the rear wall be constructed with child anchor points assuming the construction of the points complied with the applicable adr?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts